Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The steal of the draft is... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 11, 2008, 10:32:48 PM

call me a homer.
I would never call you a homer. ...............ABuccsFan whispers Justin Phinissee and Anthony Trucks.

what did I say about them... Phinisee was one of the best punt returners in college FACT and a very good CB his senior year but ran a slow 40 fact.

Anthony Trucks was a very good player his senior year FACT. And fits the mold of a Tampa 2 LB and was worth a flyer in the 7th rd and I still think he was.
Come on OBF...is that really all you said about them? Be honest now.

Pretty much. Oh yeah I said I thought Phinisee would make the team and Trucks COULD make the team.  Both are still roaming around in the league so they were ok 7th rd picks I suppose.

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 11, 2008, 10:36:28 PM

I just don't know what to think about Dixon. I would have no problem taking him in the 6th or 7th rd but we don't have those picks and considering his injury situation, a 5th picks seems high

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#17 : April 11, 2008, 10:36:43 PM

OBF, after watching that footage a few things stand out, he doesnt setup under center much if at all, on his intermediate throws he floats them and is off target some either low or behind his receivers.  He does however have nice touch on his deep throws, seems to be calm in the pocket, but that might be more to the rolling pocket

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 11, 2008, 10:40:36 PM

OBF, after watching that footage a few things stand out, he doesnt setup under center much if at all, on his intermediate throws he floats them and is off target some either low or behind his receivers. He does however have nice touch on his deep throws, seems to be calm in the pocket, but that might be more to the rolling pocket

Yeah thats what I saw in his workout his intermediate throws were behind a bit.

The scouts loved his workout though so maybe there all putting up a huge smoke screen maybe not.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 11, 2008, 11:03:06 PM

Meh Worth a late round flier if his knee is still in good enough shape

IN MY OPINON

(I can have an opinion too right?)

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#20 : April 11, 2008, 11:32:34 PM

I dont consider steals in round 1 but my steal of the draft is.... Dennis Dixon call me a homer. But I saw his private workout and he was very solid for being 85%. He was flat out money on the deep ball. Threw behind WR a few times in the 10-15 yard range (may be due to the rust IDK).

Yes Im a Duck fan but I think in round 5 hes a steal. In round 5 all you can ask for is a solid backup and I think he can do that and potientally start someday.

Heres the article from the new SI
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c...ixon/index.html

from the article...

But no QB in this draft has longer arms (36.25 inches) or bigger hands (9.75-inch span) or a faster 40 time (4.49 seconds last year at Oregon). When Dixon was a junior, Bellotti told him he was a better prospect than Vince Young. And that was before Dixon completed 67.7% of his passes in 2007, with 20 touchdowns and just four interceptions. Mike Mayock, the NFL Network's draft expert, believes Dixon is a better passer than Young but not as explosive a runner.

If Dixon stayed healthy he would be the 3rd QB off the board. People ride guys like Josh Johnson jock ONLY because he played well in the senior bowl.  Like Mike Trico said today hes the best prospect people are forgetting about.

I agree with you, except for on Josh Johnson. First, he didn't play in the Senior Bowl, he played in the E/W Shrine game (two long runs, one of which was on the impressive side, the other against prevent D). And people ride him because he's very mobile and has 4.4 speed (which I do have to question if Dixon has seeing as how his 40 time was while at Oregon *wink wink*). It's the Michael Vick effect. People don't care about possible flaws in his game, the man runs fast and thats what it's all about. :D

Dixon and Johnson are very similar though. Only differences being Johnson is faster, Dixon throws a tighter ball, Dixon throws a better deep ball, and Dixon dominated good competition his senior year. His stock was really hurt by that injury though. I don't think scouts completely forgot about him though. I think he ends up going in about round 4 to Johnson's round 3.

Agent Orange

Starter

#21 : April 12, 2008, 12:08:40 AM

I agree with this accept I think we should trade back our 5th round pick and pick up Dixon and Corey Lynch. I think both of them may be the steals of the draft in the later rounds.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#22 : April 12, 2008, 01:32:42 AM

He is not a steal at all.  I can see maybe a project, but not a steal...

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#23 : April 12, 2008, 09:26:04 AM

I dont consider steals in round 1 but my steal of the draft is.... Dennis Dixon call me a homer.
Homer.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 12, 2008, 09:45:15 AM

Better than any other late round pick... if he pans out, great, if not.. practice squad training for a game against Vince Young.

Late round is when you need to gamble with athletic freaks who are "projects". Rounds 1-4 are your starters (or future starters)

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#25 : April 12, 2008, 10:05:39 AM

maybe in the 5th if we haven't already drafted Johnson in the 3rd ...who I love ...he threw 1 interception last year...thats sick...his stats are off the boards...hes perfect for our offense...good long term qb for the future.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 12, 2008, 10:29:30 AM

Personally I think he ends up playin in the AFL.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 12, 2008, 11:08:33 AM

I like the Dixon idea given our present situation.  Garcia is the starter in '08.  Greise or McCown will be #2. We can draft Dixon at 5 (man I wish we had a 6) and let him heal and learn on the PS and have a threat at QB in 09 and beyond. 

Makes far more sense than using a first or second rounder on a third or fourth stringer/non-contributer.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#28 : April 12, 2008, 12:24:02 PM

I have been on Johnson, Johnson long before the senior bowl, while Dixon has all the tools to be a decent pro in the right system, I am not to sure about his knee. It might be ready to go or might not. I dont have an opinion on him, that is not to say after seeing some footage and reading up on him I would not rank him right there with Johnson

Why would you be worried about his knee? He isn't going to play this year and most likely wouldn't play next year either. He'd have the perfect opportunity to come in rehab his knee and learn, learn, learn the offense.

If your high on Josh Johnson then you should be even higher on Dixon who played better than Johnson in a better program and against better competition. I like the idea of Dixon in the 5th if we're considering a Qb at all. Only question that remain is will another team like him even more and draft him before we can?

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 12, 2008, 12:45:45 PM

dennisdixon10.com
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The steal of the draft is... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools