Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: wtf is up with the stupid air horn? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 12, 2008, 08:54:26 PM

I hope with this new stadium they put an age limit on season ticket holders.

LOL!    I'd be in trouble if they did that.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#16 : April 12, 2008, 11:34:05 PM

Its worth the drive to ST PETE to see a winner. Its a waste of time to see a cellar-dweller play, IMO.

thats vintage Bay Area Fan.  not that ive got a problem with it, I feel the same way for non-football sports.

Why drive an hour to see minor league baseball?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#17 : April 13, 2008, 10:29:22 AM

Because you enjoy baseball.  If you don't, then don't go.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#18 : April 13, 2008, 10:30:32 AM

As the camera pans all you see are blue hairs ringing their cow bells... then you have the heckler and the air horn guy that thinks he is rallying the team ruining the broadcasts.

So you don't go to the games and you're complaining about people who do?  That's classic there.  Real classic.

bucpimpin

Pro Bowler
#19 : April 13, 2008, 10:56:06 AM

As the camera pans all you see are blue hairs ringing their cow bells... then you have the heckler and the air horn guy that thinks he is rallying the team ruining the broadcasts.

So you don't go to the games and you're complaining about people who do? That's classic there. Real classic.

I never said I dont go to games.. Just not all the games.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 13, 2008, 11:20:11 AM

I havn't been to any games yet but listening on TV.

I was just going by what you said.  Sorry.  Anyway, the reason that the stadium is quiet is because it's mostly empty.  Opening night got pretty loud at times because we had a full house.  There was some noise last night when Longoria got his hit and when Pena tied it up.  There will be noise when necessary.  Just enjoy the games man.

HughC

Pro Bowler

#21 : April 13, 2008, 12:15:17 PM

I agree the air horns and cow bells can be annoying, but they are far better than the alternative of being able to listen to a conversation three sections away.

On a side note, I'd like to see the Rays bring people down from other seats and fill in all the lower seats.  The cheering would be picked up by the microphones for TV and radio.  On TV it would look and sound more appealing, which would generate more interest in viewers to go and watch in person.  When the camera shows a lot of empty seats, it doesn't sell the idea that going to a Rays game is a fun and exciting time.  It's not as if this hasn't been done before; the NBA used to do the same thing with games on TBS in the pre-Michael Jordan days.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#22 : April 13, 2008, 07:09:54 PM

or they could win more games.

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#23 : April 13, 2008, 08:07:10 PM

The dome is the most accessible stadium that I know of. You Tampa guy's are spoiled. Get a life!!
I have been going to the fairgrounds, now down town Tampa, and to Dale Mabry for as long as I can remember. 
Now if the move the Ray's to the water front, then with traffic and parking, you would have a legitimate complaint.
But for now enjoy the A/C free parking and not getting wet !!!
Oh the air horn can go..

LFO

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 13, 2008, 10:46:11 PM

I will agree that the atmosphere at Rays games is for the most part lethargic.  And the air horns don't do anything to **CENSORED**e that up, and are annoying.  However, without the air horns or even the cow bells, at times the damn place might be so silent you could hear a pin drop......

Really, the games at the trop suck.  The crowd sucks and for years the product has sucked.  But I still go, because I love baseball and it's better than nothing.  But I have to think for the average fan, it is a bad experience.  I know several folks who went to the game, home opener no less, and have vowed to never go back.  Why?  Because they felt the atmosphere was lame.  It starts with the gloomy dome, but really I think they were displeased with the lackadaisical crowd.  Hardly any cheering, clapping, or really anything besides people sitting on their hands. I tend to agree, but I do see *times* where this is not true.

Given all of this, I can see why some people are not willing to travel the extra miles to see the team.  But really, I don't think it would be much different if the team had a field near RJS.  Bottom line is, if the team starts winning on a consistent basis, people will come and people will cheer.  I just wish the people that DO go now would be a little more into the games.  It is tiring to get dirty looks when you are up and cheering. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 13, 2008, 10:48:10 PM

I agree the air horns and cow bells can be annoying, but they are far better than the alternative of being able to listen to a conversation three sections away.

On a side note, I'd like to see the Rays bring people down from other seats and fill in all the lower seats.  The cheering would be picked up by the microphones for TV and radio.  On TV it would look and sound more appealing, which would generate more interest in viewers to go and watch in person.  When the camera shows a lot of empty seats, it doesn't sell the idea that going to a Rays game is a fun and exciting time.  It's not as if this hasn't been done before; the NBA used to do the same thing with games on TBS in the pre-Michael Jordan days.

This could work, but I think they want to sell those seats rather than start a trend of folks buying $6 seats and sitting in a $50 seat.

Although I agree, it would make it look a lot more appealing to have the seats filled.

I think the Rays do allow people to move wherever they want after the 7th inning, FWIW.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 14, 2008, 12:38:33 AM

I life in New Tampa Close to Pasco. I will not drive out there during the week to see a 10 time world champ. But my argument isnt the drive. Its the demographic that having the team in St. Pete draws. I for one and sick of seeing all the Grand Pa's and Grand Ma's sitting back lounging not getting cranked up. As the camera pans all you see are blue hairs ringing their cow bells.. then you have the heckler and the air horn guy that thinks he is rallying the team ruining the broadcasts.

My point is if you put the team and stadium in Tampa you get a far much younger demo graphic and create a rowdie fun fan experience. I hope with this new stadium they put an age limit on season ticket holders. Like I said earlier.. If you want to sit back relax and enjoy a game.. Do it from home.

I live on the Wesley Chapel side of Bruce B Downs.  So I am right by you and I go to 15-20 games per year.  I go to almost all Saturday games and the rest are weekday games.  Getting there is harder than getting home.  But, its not too bad.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#27 : April 14, 2008, 10:33:07 AM

I think a lot of fans from other teams drive a distance to see games - used to leave in the Seattle area and would drive 50 miles to the Mariner, Seahawk, Sonic games all the time.  Would make an entire day out of the trip, though. Go to other attractions, restaurants, etc.  Make it worth the trip.  Does St Pete have a lot of attractions other than the beach?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#28 : April 14, 2008, 10:34:12 AM

Not by the trop other than Fergs really.  You got restaurants, museums, etc. downtown/by the pier.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 14, 2008, 06:29:45 PM

I for one and sick of seeing all the Grand Pa's and Grand Ma's sitting back lounging not getting cranked up. As the camera pans all you see are blue hairs ringing their cow bells..

You do realize you just contradicted yourself in the space of two sentences ...
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: wtf is up with the stupid air horn? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools