Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 12 Most Embarassing CFB Games in 2008.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Snook

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 22, 2008, 06:35:44 PM

Gators taking shots at other teams' out of conference schedules.  Wow.  Now, I've seen it all.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 22, 2008, 09:07:21 PM

The final conference rankings for 2007 were

1 SOUTHEASTERN (A) = 81.99 81.83 ( 1) 12
2 PAC-10 (A) = 79.47 79.63 ( 2) 10

So they play pretty equal schedules... Pac 10 plays harder OOC games because their Conference games arent strong enough. SEC plays weaker OOC games because their Conference games are hard enough.

To me, the bragging of playing such a tough OOC schedule is pointless. But, that's JMO.

And this years schedule doesnt really even give Oregon much to brag bout for OOC. It's pretty weak with Boise State being their top OOC game. I'd give the OOC edge to UF over Oregon this year. Even though they've got the powerhouse Citadel, they still got FSU, UM and Hawaii, which I would rank tougher than Boise, Utah and Purdue.

Hawaii sucks this year. Boise or Fresno will win the wac. Purdue is purdue so who knows how they will be.

How many of those games does UF play on the road?

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 23, 2008, 08:57:17 AM

My guys play Liberty in 2009.  What?  Didn't know they had a team?  Me neither. 
http://www.register-herald.com/sports/local_story_092233124.html

Ugh - this'll be good ammo for defending their record in '09.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#33 : April 23, 2008, 09:34:30 AM

Do they play "Justice for All" as well?

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 23, 2008, 11:13:45 AM

Do they play "Justice for All" as well?

Yes, and "Justice for All" being the tougher of the two...

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

LFO

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 23, 2008, 09:59:27 PM

Gators taking shots at other teams' out of conference schedules.  Wow.  Now, I've seen it all.

UF plays annually at least 1 out of conference power team (FSU) every year.  Granted FSU has been "down" the last few, but on average they have been a "power" over the last 20 years or so.  How many other teams can say that? 

As you pointed out, UF plays among the best schedules year in and year out, despite the few cupcakes non-conference.  No one would argue UF plays 4 powerhouse teams out of conference teams annually.  Nobody does.  But UF does play 1, and occasionally 2. 

My question to you is, what is important?  Playing tough non-conference games or just playing tough games in general?

Snook

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 23, 2008, 10:04:35 PM

FSU is a "power" when UF needs to brag about their schedule.  But they're a joke otherwise.  Interesting.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 23, 2008, 10:19:53 PM

FSU is a "power" when UF needs to brag about their schedule.  But they're a joke otherwise.  Interesting.

I like your way of taking one word out of my post and making a dumb comment based on it.

I believe I did say FSU has been a power most of the last 20+ years.  I also did mention the last few as being "down" years.  But while many UF fans will joke about how poor FSU has been recently, I don't think many (or any) will say they have not been one of the better teams over the duration of the past 20. 

You didn't answer my question though.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 23, 2008, 10:26:54 PM

FSU hasn't been a power since 2000.  That's EIGHT years ago. 

And don't act like its such a big deal for UF to play FSU.  It'd be pretty stupid if they didn't. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 23, 2008, 10:54:18 PM

Fact of the matter is they do.

Regardless of why, they do.

As long as FSU is on their schedule (and does not have 10 more 7-6 seasons) not many schools can poke fun at UF's non-conference schedule. 

FSU has not been a power for the duration of the last 8 seasons, but they have been a good team.  I do think they went to a BCS bowl 3 years ago no?  Bottom line is they are as good of a non-conference opponent as a team can be expected to schedule annually under the current format in CFB.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 24, 2008, 08:47:38 AM

Fact of the matter is they do.

Regardless of why, they do.

As long as FSU is on their schedule (and does not have 10 more 7-6 seasons) not many schools can poke fun at UF's non-conference schedule. 

FSU has not been a power for the duration of the last 8 seasons, but they have been a good team.  I do think they went to a BCS bowl 3 years ago no?  Bottom line is they are as good of a non-conference opponent as a team can be expected to schedule annually under the current format in CFB.

I'm not arguing that FSU is a solid program.  I just find it funny how UF fans flip flop on that notion depending on what topic it relates to.  FSU's BCS bowl a couple of years ago is a PERFECT example.  To boost UF's schedule strength, you noted that as a positive.  But I'm sure you were with every other Gator fan back then bashing them saying they didn't belong.  Double standard is all I'm saying.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 25, 2008, 12:29:20 AM

They didn't belong.

But I don't think ANY Gator fan (or anyone really) will say that over the long haul (the last 20 years) FSU has not been a top program.

You are grasping at straws here brother.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 25, 2008, 07:59:48 AM

They didn't belong.

But I don't think ANY Gator fan (or anyone really) will say that over the long haul (the last 20 years) FSU has not been a top program.

You are grasping at straws here brother.

Depends on the argument...  That's my point.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 25, 2008, 08:24:55 PM

Just because that FSU team didn't belong in a BCS bowl does not mean they haven't been a great/good program overall the past 20 years or are not a formidable opponent to schedule.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 12 Most Embarassing CFB Games in 2008.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools