Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Zeroing down the list of what the team is looking to draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: April 17, 2008, 11:07:49 PM

Here is what I know as far as prospect interviews from the east west shrine game, senior bowl, combine and visits to One Buc Place and private works the team has attended

The team has interviewed no less then 10 CB Prospects at each stage in this process

The team has interviewed no less then 10 WR Prospects at each stage in this process

The team has interviewed 5 QB Prospects during this process

The team has interviewed no less then 10 OL Prospects at each stage in this process

The team has very little or limited action with DL OR LB during this process

The team has had interest in atleast 10 RB during this process

By no means does this preclude the team from drafting DL or LB but is sure does point in the direction of certain positions that will be targeted come draft day

CB
WR
RB
OL
QB

While some are going to argue that the team needs to add defensive lineman during the draft, they did add two free agents, resigned one and still have 4 players that were red shirted for  lack of a better term from the 07 season in Sims, Bennett, Chuwarch, and Peterson either due to injuries or conditioning, Plus they have Hovan, Haye, Adams and White.

DT - Hovan / Haye / Sims / Peterson
DE - Adams / White / Chuwarch / Bennett
DT/DE - Douglas / Carter / Wilkerson

not to mention the guys like Gunn and other camp fodder. I just dont see them taking a DL this year unless a player just drops to them, that they cant pass on.

Of course the same could be said for QB but with Garcia, Simms and McCown all have expiring contracts after the 2008 season the team is in a different situation at qb

The nature og Williams injury and the age of Dunn and Bennett along with the contract status of Graham warrants the team looking at RB

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 17, 2008, 11:38:20 PM

I also believe we will not be going DL be it DT or DE. WR's can be found later in the draft and IMO thats where you'll find the more productive players at WR. So really it's narrowed down to 3 positions in the first round. CB, RB, QB. But again, this is just MY opinion.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 18, 2008, 01:04:18 AM

And of those positions..CB, RB, and QB, there isn't a "Need" for a CB for THIS season.  It would be good to get a quality one to begin the grooming process, but it isn't a NEED for 2008.  We have Barber and P-Buc as the starting CBs and Wilson as the nickel.  We also have Davis as the dime back, IF Hamilton or Cox don't beat him out.  Therefore, despite all the words flying around, there isn't a NEED for a CB in this draft.  I believe there is a strong possibility that P-Buc and Wilson will both be extended.  IF that happens, even if Ronde suddenly retired at the end of this season, we would have our 2 starters, with Hamilton, Davis and Cox fighting for the nickel and dime positions.

THEN we would have the 2009 FA season AND the draft to take care of needs that crop up.

THEREFORE, as I see it, there isn't a NEED for a CB in this draft at all.

Having said that, I would still like to see the Bucs take a CB in the 3rd or 4th round....NOT the 1st. 

Since I believe Luke is the qb of the future, I don't think there is a NEED to draft a qb.

IF all that is true, and it all depends on what Gruden and Allen think, not what I think, we can concentrate on WR, and RB, especially with a view to upgrading the speed of the 2 positions.

The more I have thought about it, the more I would like to see us come out of this draft with Chris Johnson, Donnie Avery or Eddie Royal, and Jordy Nelson.  That is really concentrating on the skill positions, but this year's draft may have the most speed at the skill positions I have ever seen.

I would like Avery or Royal to be that speed receiver so many of us have talked about.  I would like Jordy Nelson to be that big receiver we keep trying to find.  In his case, you have a big receiver who can catch the ball, break tackles and take it to the house too.  He has very good hands, excellent character, an outstanding work ethic, and sub 4.5 speed.  During the Kansas game, he caught a deep pass against Talib, then RAN AWAY from him at 215 lbs.  THERE is your potential future #1 receiver, while you have also drafted a speed receiver who is ALSO very productive.

We have spent picks on the line...it's time to spend picks on the playmakers.  We have the line to enable them to operate.

.....just my opinion

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 18, 2008, 07:17:04 AM

While some are going to argue that the team needs to add defensive lineman during the draft, they did add two free agents, resigned one and still have 4 players that were red shirted for  lack of a better term from the 07 season in Sims, Bennett, Chuwarch, and Peterson either due to injuries or conditioning, Plus they have Hovan, Haye, Adams and White.

not to mention the guys like Gunn and other camp fodder. I just dont see them taking a DL this year unless a player just drops to them, that they cant pass on.
If that's the case I completely disagree. Adams and Haye will be the only regular linemen under 29 years old when the season starts, not to mention that both starting tackles are under 300 lbs, and the team was #17 against the run and faced more rushing attempts than all but 9 teams. Call me crazy but the Bucs really need a young BIG body.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

#4 : April 18, 2008, 08:11:07 AM

There are good but not GREAT CB's later in the draft

The talent drops after the Talib's, DRC and Cason's drop off the board

I like this kid from LSU Chevis Jackson not overly fast but a productive CB in just raw talent (3-5 range)
Patrick Lee is another who can develop into something special

However you look at WR and you have a guy like Desean Jackson at 20 but later on you have a productive Bubba Caldwell, a productive Mario Manningham, and Speedy "project" in Dexter Jackson waiting later on but could like Jackson come in their rookie season and contribute in a big way.

You look at a Brian Brohm or Joe Flacco. I dont see Jon yanking Garica (unless here is a hold out) in favor of a rookie QB especially when he has Luke, Brian, and Chris still on staff for whom in their own right know the offense and had their share of success in Jon's eyes. So their help in year one is very close to zero.

I like Jonathan Stewart BUT I think Jon likes the kid from ECU and UCF better or a Tashard Choice in a lower round.

So to me (maybe I am partial) you have to say CB in round one its the safest pick, First round corners seem to be the the lowest risk and apart from Pac Man Jones usually dont turn up as busts.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 18, 2008, 10:04:41 AM

Disagree about the CB.

If Barber retires next year, we need to get his replacement this year.

Kiffin does not start a rookie CB in his first year.

Doesn't mean we have to take him at #20, but certainly by #52.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Mellow

Starter

#6 : April 18, 2008, 10:20:56 AM

If Barber retires I think Wilson steps in.  We might still need a CB, but it would be a nickel guy at first.

By the way, yucc, that was a great post.  Looking at actual visits and workouts is a good way to cut through all the smoke.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 18, 2008, 10:45:54 AM

If that's the case I completely disagree. Adams and Haye will be the only regular linemen under 29 years old when the season starts, not to mention that both starting tackles are under 300 lbs, and the team was #17 against the run and faced more rushing attempts than all but 9 teams. Call me crazy but the Bucs really need a young BIG body.

Wilkerson, Chuk, and Bennett are likely fighting for one roster spot.  Our DL needs an upgrade in order for us to compete in the playoffs.  If Allen is the plan, then by all means that is a huge upgrade.  If not, DL needs to be a primary focus in the draft.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#8 : April 18, 2008, 11:12:04 AM

Bucs will go WR, RB, or Dline in rounds 1 and/or 2 IMO. My guess is
1. Chris Johnson RB
2. Trevor Laws DT
3. Royals WR
4. Josh Johnson
5. Trae Williams

or we will get jared Allen or Chad Johnson for some picks

Sign Coleman DT

then whoever else gets released we will take a look at. Who knows who that will be though. I think we will be a solid team come 08 its allways about if they can stay healthy. Hopefully we can solidify us through the draft and whatever else we can get through fa.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#9 : April 18, 2008, 11:50:41 AM

So QB won't contribute in year one, but drafting a CB who will be fourth on the depth chart will?  ???

Grooming a CB for a year is a wise investment to prepare for when Barber isn't here, but grooming a QB for an entire year instead of forcing him into service is a bad idea?  :-

I'll never understand the argument of "This guy MUST produce season 1 for us".  There are just some positions on this team that will be forced into the depth chart by the people ahead of them.

What position has a shot of starting on this team, this year?  Not CB.  Not Safety.  Not LB.  Any DL position is going to be a rotational player.

Offensive line seems pretty set, though maybe a top flight LT prospect can come in an unseat a Vet.  But clearly no one is starting ahead of the other four.

We've already written off QB (which I'll gladly do, but I've always wanted to draft a QB at least a year before I need him to play)

RB?  Again a rotational/situtational player.  And a pretty crowded backfield of productive guys and wily vets.

WR?  Not Galloway's position.  Does anyone see Gruden starting a rookie ahead of Hilliard or Clayton (and yes, I know the arguments against Clayton, but Gruden's going to go with a guy who knows the offense unless he has to do otherwise).

I know, let's draft the top rated TE in the first round.  Smith needs competition and Troupe will be learning the offense, so he'll have a shot to win a starting job and contribute this season.  :P

The Q

Pro Bowler

#10 : April 18, 2008, 12:19:16 PM

Draft QB Brian Brohm in first and build for the future.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

#11 : April 18, 2008, 01:05:24 PM

So QB won't contribute in year one, but drafting a CB who will be fourth on the depth chart will? ???

Grooming a CB for a year is a wise investment to prepare for when Barber isn't here, but grooming a QB for an entire year instead of forcing him into service is a bad idea? :-

I'll never understand the argument of "This guy MUST produce season 1 for us".  There are just some positions on this team that will be forced into the depth chart by the people ahead of them.

What position has a shot of starting on this team, this year?  Not CB.  Not Safety.  Not LB.  Any DL position is going to be a rotational player.

Offensive line seems pretty set, though maybe a top flight LT prospect can come in an unseat a Vet.  But clearly no one is starting ahead of the other four.

We've already written off QB (which I'll gladly do, but I've always wanted to draft a QB at least a year before I need him to play)

RB?  Again a rotational/situtational player.  And a pretty crowded backfield of productive guys and wily vets.

WR?  Not Galloway's position.  Does anyone see Gruden starting a rookie ahead of Hilliard or Clayton (and yes, I know the arguments against Clayton, but Gruden's going to go with a guy who knows the offense unless he has to do otherwise).

I know, let's draft the top rated TE in the first round.  Smith needs competition and Troupe will be learning the offense, so he'll have a shot to win a starting job and contribute this season. :P

With BK gone I have a funny feeling a Cason or whomever will see the field an aweful lot more than 3/4 of the other positions

and will contribute also on Special teams as a KR/PR

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#12 : April 18, 2008, 01:10:12 PM

I have this eerie feeling that if Gruden loves one of those QBs not named Matt Ryan(he wont last past 8 to Baltimore), considering we wouldnt pick again until 51, I can easily see Brohm, Woodson, or Johnson taken at 20.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 18, 2008, 08:04:20 PM

If you are saying Josh Johnson, he will NEVER be taken by the Bucs at 20!

They may love him, but as a developmental player not a 1st rounder!

BucBalla, I LOVE that draft!

.....just my opinion

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#14 : April 18, 2008, 08:31:25 PM

If you want the guy and think hes the future of your team at that position, and your not sure your going to get him at 51 and you cant find a trade partner..

This seems to be most prevalent with QBs.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Zeroing down the list of what the team is looking to draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools