Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rookies Can they Provide an Immediate Impact? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 21, 2008, 12:15:04 PM

you draft a potential HOF.

...anything you say from this day forward lacks serious credibility after making that statement. Drafting a potenial Hall of Famer? Can you list all the potential Hall of Famers in this draft? Are you serious. Drafting Elway.....you think people knew what Elway was going to do when he was waiting to hear his name called?
Elway was as much of a super prospect as there has ever been. He carries the highest grade Mel Kiper has given a player in 25 or so years.

If you're gonna bring up Mel Kiper, I'm gonna bring up Mike Williams.... ;)

And then I will in turn, bring up Craig 'Buster' Davis

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 21, 2008, 12:35:07 PM

...anything you say from this day forward lacks serious credibility after making that statement. Drafting a potenial Hall of Famer? Can you list all the potential Hall of Famers in this draft? Are you serious. Drafting Elway.....you think people knew what Elway was going to do when he was waiting to hear his name called?
Elway was as much of a super prospect as there has ever been. He carries the highest grade Mel Kiper has given a player in 25 or so years.

If you're gonna bring up Mel Kiper, I'm gonna bring up Mike Williams.... ;)

And then I will in turn, bring up Craig 'Buster' Davis

*sigh* and I'll bring up Andre Ware.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 21, 2008, 01:01:20 PM

The point isn't if Kiper was right about how Elway, Mike Williams, or any other player turned out. The point was leading up to his draft class Elway was considered one of the greatest prospects ever.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#33 : April 21, 2008, 01:09:54 PM

Yes. And so was Tony Mandarich. I'm not trying to disagree with you, but it don't mean a thing.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 21, 2008, 01:20:25 PM

Yes. And so was Tony Mandarich. I'm not trying to disagree with you, but it don't mean a thing.
The original post I responded to acted like it was a mystery or surprise John Elway turned out to be a great player. I said it shouldn't be a surprise arguably the greatest draft prospect ever turned out to be a Hall of Famer.

Regarding Mandarich, he was mailining steroids when he was in college and when he couldn't use them in the league he wasn't what people thought he was. If he wasn't cheating he wouldn't have been a top 5 pick so he's a little different than your typical high bust.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 21, 2008, 01:34:45 PM

Micheal Clayton had an immediate impact.

Caddy had an immediate impact.

Sears had an immediate impact.

So yea, rookies can have an immediate impact, but the key is to have a sustained impact. Let's hope Sears doesn't fall into the mold of the other two..

#36 : April 21, 2008, 01:36:59 PM

You wanna piece of me??

LOL, funny, I like that one Lamond.

Agent Orange

Starter

#37 : April 21, 2008, 03:13:49 PM

1:  Devin Thomas - WR
2:  Dre Moore - DT
3:  Tyvon Branch - KR/CB
4:  Chris Harrington - DE
5:  Doug Legursky - C

It is looking more like Devin Thomas is not going to be anywhere near 20.  So I change my first round pick to Limas Sweed. (Unfortunately, Gruden loves these types of WRs).

ANd out of all of them, methinks Dre Moore will be a solid add, iff he suits up in Pewter. ;D

I also think Dre Moore will be an excellent pro and hope he's our 2nd round pick as long as Jordy Nelson isn't there. I was actually hoping to somehow get both of them in the 2nd via a trade.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 21, 2008, 03:26:03 PM

rookie offensive lineman and defensive players usually can.....

Also, a rookie RB can make an impact, but if u hand any guy the ball 20 times a game, you'd hope he'd make an impact.

It's very rare for rookie QBs or WRs to make impacts. 

vladin

Starter

#39 : April 21, 2008, 05:19:57 PM

Gradkowski made an impact...  'course it was a negative one...

I think a good running back can make an impact quickly.  A great special teams return man can make an impact quickly.  Kickers too.

We were fortunate to get impact play from T-Jax and Sears last year.

SwarmingDefense

Pro Bowler
#40 : April 21, 2008, 07:47:51 PM

U are an idiot... If would really help if you would read the entire thread before you post...

You just made my point...(Which let's review was)

The vikings had no idea that Peterson was going to be as good as he was in the season when they drafted him.

SwarmingDefense

Pro Bowler
#41 : April 21, 2008, 07:50:53 PM

Funny direction this has headed.
If teams were able to predict HOFers then wouldn't every HOF player be the #1 pick or at least a 1st round pick.

Exactly the point i was making to Yucc and Hate... The vikes didn't know peterson was going to be as good as he was, because if they did they would have traded up

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 22, 2008, 10:05:29 AM

The vikings had no idea that Peterson was going to be as good as he was in the season when they drafted him.

Funny direction this has headed.
If teams were able to predict HOFers then wouldn't every HOF player be the #1 pick or at least a 1st round pick.

Exactly the point i was making to Yucc and Hate... The vikes didn't know peterson was going to be as good as he was, because if they did they would have traded up
Like with Elway, no one should be surprised Peterson turned out as good as he did. People said he was good enough to play in the NFL after he played about 3 college games. He was as well a regarded running back prospect since Ricky Williams. Every yokel who has watched a college game knew he was a stud. If you want to say no one knew Frank Gore, Marion Barber, or Brandon Jacobs would be as good as they are, that's a different story. They were much more of surprises.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 22, 2008, 09:51:11 AM

Yes.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#44 : April 22, 2008, 01:50:28 PM

The only knock EVER on Peterson was the possibility that he may be injury-prone.

.....just my opinion
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rookies Can they Provide an Immediate Impact? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools