Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Spin this BornaRunole « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14

ibis

Rookie

#45 : May 03, 2008, 12:54:19 PM

I am not sure how carrying an illegal gun and drugs could ever be rationally explained, nor will it.  Charges being dropped has little to do with anything.  There was no logical reason the kid could of had an illegal gun and drugs in his possession.  The sad thing is, any one of us would be put through the ringer.  If it is reduced, he more than likely will never miss a game due to his status.  And that within it's self is as wrong as it can be.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#46 : May 05, 2008, 04:40:53 PM

So if the criminal justice system does in fact reduce the felony charge to a misdemeanor will you be writing letters of protest?

I think you need to check the justice system for such crimes and the outcomes.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#47 : May 05, 2008, 06:03:57 PM

I am not sure how carrying an illegal gun and drugs could ever be rationally explained

Could be a CI ....

ibis

Rookie

#48 : May 07, 2008, 01:15:53 PM

So if the criminal justice system does in fact reduce the felony charge to a misdemeanor will you be writing letters of protest?

I think you need to check the justice system for such crimes and the outcomes.

Well, I think maybe these things are two different issues.  Within the laws that we live in, he has broken a rule.  Reduced or not, there is still some accountability to be had and the state will function within their capacity concerning his transgressions. 

The second issue would be what the school feels it should do concerning his transgressions.  I dont think that what happens on a state level should change their approach to this issue.  Reducing a charge does not erase the fact that a star player representing their school was arrested with an illegal gun and drugs.  A few past players were allowed to play after arrests and I am not sure that is the image the new AD should continue to perpetuate considering a pending NCAA investigation. 

Hopefully this kid can get his life together, too many bright young kids making stupid mistakes in this world.       

Runole

Hall of Famer
#49 : May 07, 2008, 01:38:23 PM

Colt,

Out of curiosity if Parker's charges are reduced what do you think the appropriate penalty should be?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#50 : May 07, 2008, 09:27:06 PM

That's easy:

That, and of course sitting out the first 2 games against those Division 2 Bottom Feeders!

ibis

Rookie

#51 : May 07, 2008, 09:31:31 PM

This is a valid question and I will try to offer my opinion without any salt.  It is my opinion that a reduction of a charge should not weigh in the schools decision on how to handle the situation.  I believe in the justice system, even with it's flaws, and believe it does what it is supposed to do.  But....there are ways to wiggle out of the stickiest situations.  All this does is make the penalty, well, less.  It doesn't exonerate the person from the act, it just a way of brokering a deal.  I guess this is the reason why a reduction is irrelevant in my opinion.  He still did it, right!?  If they come back and find it was a crazy circumstance for the possession of these items, I cant see why the school would act at all.  But I think we all know that is not the case.

I don't think anyone wishes harm to the kid but he is there to play football.  A penalty in that regard should be in order at the least.

Finally, if I was to be arrested for something similar in nature, my employer would demand a drug test, suspend me, demote me or fire me or all of the above.  So I hold my position in the highest regard and do not put my self in that position.  To play for FSU or any college on any level is a privilege.  These young students should treat it as such.  If this was an internal situation with the school, then all internal rules apply.  And don't get me wrong.  FSU and other schools have done a good job in this area.  It has been unfortunate to see so many over the past few years "released" for undisclosed reasons.  It is a waste!

I hope I didn't seem to harsh, but like I said, it was just an opinion.  I tried to be as forthcoming as possible in my thoughts.  

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#52 : May 09, 2008, 11:55:22 AM

http://www.local6.com/news/16212975/detail.html

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#53 : May 09, 2008, 01:30:41 PM

http://www.local6.com/news/16212975/detail.html

That's his third strike, I believe...He can hit the road, if true.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#54 : May 09, 2008, 01:48:35 PM

What were the other two?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#55 : May 09, 2008, 02:09:55 PM

This was in another article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3388268

Hornsby, who has played the last two seasons mostly on special teams, has had two prior off-field problems during his Florida career. He was cited in April 2007 on misdemeanor criminal mischief charges when he caused $750 damage to a car by throwing a man onto the vehicle's hood during a fight. He also was suspended from playing in last year's game against Georgia for selling his tickets to the game, a violation of NCAA rules.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#56 : May 09, 2008, 02:23:10 PM

Oh, well those aren't really that big a deal.  That guy should have been charged.  He's the one that made the dent.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#57 : May 09, 2008, 05:39:02 PM

Wow... what a scumbag.  I didn't think UF recruited lowlifes.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#58 : May 09, 2008, 08:39:01 PM

It's what you do to those that misbehave that matters.......

LFO

Hall of Famer

#59 : May 09, 2008, 08:45:49 PM

Notice a guy on UF uses a CC illegally, he gets kicked off the team.

An FSU guy has drugs and a gun, he is ok.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Spin this BornaRunole « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools