Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Spin this BornaRunole « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 14

LFO

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 23, 2008, 10:01:08 PM

Parker was FSU's best offensive player last season, and was supposed to be this season, right?

What do the 'Noles do now?

Rely on Bert "Percy Harvin" Reed.  You know, the guy who was supposed to play as a True Freshmen and be FSU's Percy Harvin.  Or so FSU told him anyway, in order to get him to sign there......

Snook

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 23, 2008, 10:03:35 PM

UF NEVER misleads recruits and tells them what they want to hear to get them to sign.  Never.   ::)

When will UF fans end their obsession with a team so inferior to them?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 23, 2008, 10:11:03 PM

Preston Parker = Marcus Thomas = THUG

Thomas was a pot head but I don't think he had a gun problem.

Parker might be a mix of Thomas and say Ronnie Wilson though, how about that?

As Bowden might say though, "It's not like he shot the President."

I am sure he'll pray "It's not a felony." (although it is)

Obviously as long as it's a felony he won't play.  I am sure it will get dropped, he'll run some stairs, miss the first 2 D2 games, and all will be well.

In all seriousness, it is unfortunate that some college athletes today choose to partake in this kind of behavior even though they pretty much have it made. They are worshiped by their peers (and fan bases to boot), given a free education, and get to play Football on National TV with hopes of playing for $$$$$ one day on Sunday's.  At worst they get a free Education.  I wish the guy well but seriously, the guy needs to be handed a huge reality check.  I won't advocate for cutting his head off and I don't know his past (although I heard this isn't his first rodeo).  But I do think he should be punished severely  but allowed to "earn" his way back, provided he hasn't had a lot of troubles in the past.  Too often kids are just given up on when maybe they really just need some proper guidance and help. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 23, 2008, 10:14:02 PM

UF NEVER misleads recruits and tells them what they want to hear to get them to sign.  Never.   ::)

I don't have an obsession I just answered the question and provided the facts.

Of course Derrick Brooks was going to FSU to be a Safety right?  That's what they told him anyway.

Teams do tell recruits what they want to hear at times, I am sure.  I just thought that one was funny is all (and a bit of a reach).  It was a good angle I guess, since most were recruiting the guy to play defense and FSU was telling him he'd be like one of the most electrifying offensive players in CFB today if he went there. 

Cheers.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 23, 2008, 10:22:24 PM

Of course Derrick Brooks was going to FSU to be a Safety right?  That's what they told him anyway.

Teams do tell recruits what they want to hear at times, I am sure.  I just thought that one was funny is all (and a bit of a reach).  It was a good angle I guess, since most were recruiting the guy to play defense and FSU was telling him he'd be like one of the most electrifying offensive players in CFB today if he went there. 

Cheers.

What year is it, Ray?   Is Reed's career over?  I missed that.  The jury is still out on Reed.

As for Derrick Brooks, that move to LB turned out pretty well I'd have to say.  Besides, FSU DID start out DB at Safety.  He played his first season there.  Don't believe me?  Its even on his bio on buccaneers.com.  And he's even said that he wanted to move to LB after he soon realized he'd have a better chance at playing time there.   FSU didn't lie to Derrick Brooks.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#20 : April 23, 2008, 10:32:02 PM

In all seriousness, it is unfortunate that some college athletes today choose to partake in this kind of behavior even though they pretty much have it made. They are worshiped by their peers (and fan bases to boot), given a free education, and get to play Football on National TV with hopes of playing for $$$$$ one day on Sunday's.  At worst they get a free Education.  I wish the guy well but seriously, the guy needs to be handed a huge reality check.  I won't advocate for cutting his head off and I don't know his past (although I heard this isn't his first rodeo).  But I do think he should be punished severely  but allowed to "earn" his way back, provided he hasn't had a lot of troubles in the past.  Too often kids are just given up on when maybe they really just need some proper guidance and help. 

AMEN.  I'll agree to ALL of that.  I wish schools would kick kids off the team more often.  Its a joke what these guys get away with.  I'd be fine with ZERO tolerance.  That's pretty harsh but I think its necessary.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 23, 2008, 10:59:14 PM

Cheers.

What year is it, Ray?   Is Reed's career over?  I missed that.  The jury is still out on Reed.

As for Derrick Brooks, that move to LB turned out pretty well I'd have to say.  Besides, FSU DID start out DB at Safety.  He played his first season there.  Don't believe me?  Its even on his bio on buccaneers.com.  And he's even said that he wanted to move to LB after he soon realized he'd have a better chance at playing time there.   FSU didn't lie to Derrick Brooks.

First, my name is not Ray.  I am Ethan though, nice to meet you.

2nd, DB never played a down at S.  He might have had a spring, but FSU had no intentions of him ever playing safety.  They told him they would let him in order to sign him.  Of course he realized he would have a better shot at LB AFTER the fact.  Everyone knew this, but him.   FSU knew this also, only chose to tell him he could play S to get him there.

I am not saying it is a bad thing, just that it happened.  When EVERY school that is recruiting you is recruiting you as a LB, and one is saying we'll let you play S (knowing that is what YOU want to do), well I tend to think that it was inevitable that you would play LB.

As for Reed, I never said he was a bust or would never be good.  I just said it was FUNNY how they recruited him by saying don't go to Florida, they are too good, come here, we will make you into Percy Harvin.  Of course, most schools were recruiting him to play DB. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 23, 2008, 11:01:57 PM

Not sure how much it matters, but looks like Parker was arrested before for stealing from a Wal-Mart......a DVD at that.  Not saying it's a huge deal, but might indicate his propensity for trouble.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 24, 2008, 08:44:48 AM

Of course he realized he would have a better shot at LB AFTER the fact. 

Exactly.  DB made the decision.  Not FSU.  So in that case, how did FSU lie to him if HE made the decision?

Its a good thing UF is perfect in every way...   ::)

#24 : April 24, 2008, 09:48:10 AM

Getting back to the topic at hand, giving kids a second chance is all well and good, but I think the players might actually be counting on that from FSU so they might (I stress might) not walk the straight and narrow because they know they will get a second chance. 

Look at it another way.  What are the chances this is the ONLY time he has had pot and a handgun in his possession?  You do not know this for sure, but think about the odds. The fact that the idiot got caught infers that there were other times he wasn't caught.  Maybe they should suspend him from the team for a year but keep him on scholarship and have him work on his grades. Give him a year to show he has learned his lesson.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 25, 2008, 12:27:56 AM

Exactly.  DB made the decision.  Not FSU.  So in that case, how did FSU lie to him if HE made the decision?

You miss the point, but you are right, it is pointless trying to explain it to you.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 25, 2008, 08:00:37 AM

You miss the point, but you are right, it is pointless trying to explain it to you.

No, I merely pointed out that even YOU admit that DB made the decision, not FSU.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 25, 2008, 08:40:53 AM

Maybe he was on his way to a gun range when he found the pot and was taking it to the police station. It could happen.....

The kid made a mistake which he will pay for. Make him take gun and drug classes while putting him on a short leash. His entire life and playing career shouldn't be ruined by one lapse in judgement. I feel bad for some of you guys kids. One mistake and you are going to throw them out on the street right?

Our mistakes fo not define us, our reaction/action to those mistakes do.

REACTION? Like what? Getting my AK and walking down the street, stop at the dealers house and pick up some herb, roam around for awhile doing god knows what before getting busted by the police? Yeah great role model and person that I would want on the street. WAIT, would you mind a guy like that roaming around your street? By your home and family? didn't think so. Mistakes are what they are...mistakes. Some are big mistake while others, well.... you know the rest. This kid is bad news and should be shown SOME form of punishment..maybe he won't be shuch a screw up later on in life if he's shown what can happen, as well as other college players that watch this unfold. I'm sure he'll get off easy though. He will play the "race" and "I came from a bad family" card. Mark my words...he'll be playing again next year like nothing happened.

This all boils down to one common thing in todays colleges. They let thugs play football, let them slide through classes, (Because what's more important? The "team", or some professor that can be replaced that gets 35,000 a year?) while guys who are educated and pychologically sound get second-string or waterboy jobs. Personally, I believe at their current/and promised pay in the NFL...ONE..and only ONE slip up involving a gun should constitute expulsion from NFL entirely. period. No exceptions. If they need protection, ask for it. IF they would like a bodyguard, buy one... Theres absolutely NO reason they should be carrying guns.wtf? I hope they lock his stupid a## up! Give someone an opportunity like that and they (knowingly) throw it away????? Animals have more common sence than that. Get real.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 25, 2008, 08:03:52 PM

No, I merely pointed out that even YOU admit that DB made the decision, not FSU.

The point was everyone knew he was a LB at the college level.  Everyone told him that....except FSU.  They told him he could play safety to get him to sign, knowing full and well he would not end up there.  Whether or not DB ultimately made the decision to switch is inconsequential.  His spot on the depth chart might have forced that, which is FSU's doing.  Telling him he can come play at a position they know he isn't cut out for just to get him to sign is dishonest.

That being said, it isn't the first time a coach told a guy that and won't be the last.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#29 : April 25, 2008, 09:00:25 PM

Telling him he can come play at a position they know he isn't cut out for just to get him to sign is dishonest.

That being said, it isn't the first time a coach told a guy that and won't be the last.

i disagree.  the coaches usually know whats best for the player, so they tell them what they want to hear, and then let the player find out for himself (usually with a lot of prodding).  UF just recently did the same thing with joe cohen, and probably jerimy finch for that matter.  players want to get on the field, once they do they couldnt care less how imo.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Spin this BornaRunole « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools