Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Spin this BornaRunole « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14

LFO

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 25, 2008, 09:57:05 PM

Telling him he can come play at a position they know he isn't cut out for just to get him to sign is dishonest.

That being said, it isn't the first time a coach told a guy that and won't be the last.

i disagree.  the coaches usually know whats best for the player, so they tell them what they want to hear, and then let the player find out for himself (usually with a lot of prodding).  UF just recently did the same thing with joe cohen, and probably jerimy finch for that matter.  players want to get on the field, once they do they couldnt care less how imo.

I don't think Finch was promised anything.  Neither was Cohen. 

What I mean is, it's not like these guys were being recruited at a different position everywhere, and UF told them come here, we'll let you play where you want.  Yes, they switched positions but UF did not get them to sign by saying they would play where they wanted and everyone else wouldn't.

That is what happened with Brooks.  He was being recruited by EVERYONE  (including UF) as a LB.  Upon choosing FSU he stated he picked them because they would let him play S and UF wanted him to play LB. 

The same thing happened with Bert Reed.  Being recruited as a DB by UF (and everyone else), FSU says come here we'll make you Percy Harvin.  We'll see if he stays on Offense. He very well may.  But I don't think he'll be Percy Harvin. 

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#31 : April 25, 2008, 10:49:16 PM

I hope Bert Reed is not Percy Harvin as I would like to see him play more than half the games.  Percy is fast and talented but he has Rocco Baldelli-itis and gets hurt every time he clips his toenails.  That or poor guy has headaches.  Here's one for ya - you worry about your team and all the Noles fans will concentrate on our team.  You guys win one National Championship every ten years or so and you think you are all that - you are just like RedSucks fan - a bunch of loser, rednecks that want to be like the Yankees and Florida State when it comes to winning consistently.  Come talk once your team finishes in the top 5 even 5 years in a row.  Good night now.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 25, 2008, 11:05:54 PM

LOL.

FSU is like the Atlanta Braves.  Can win their division every year but can't win the Championship......

As for Reed, if you are LUCKY he becomes even close to what Harvin is.  Rocco Baldelli?  LOL.  Harvin is in when it counts, period, and he produces. 

I know one thing for sure, I (nor any other UF fan) wants to be anything like FSU.  We don't like flipping burgers.

By the way, send the memo to Runole about worrying about your own team.  I have no problem concerning myself with just UF.  After all, FSU is no longer relevant.  Come talk to me Samari when FSU wins more than 8 games, or better yet when they beat UF.....

By the way, how is Drew Weatherford treating you??

Cheers!

PS:

Percy missed 1 game his freshmen year and 3 the last 2 years.  How many did Bert play as a Freshmen?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : April 25, 2008, 11:45:13 PM

I hope Bert Reed is not Percy Harvin as I would like to see him play more than half the games.  Percy is fast and talented but he has Rocco Baldelli-itis and gets hurt every time he clips his toenails.  That or poor guy has headaches.
this is funny.  even though LFO already did, remind us how many games percy has missed?  and how many key games?  and then compare it to how many rocco has missed.
Here's one for ya - you worry about your team and all the Noles fans will concentrate on our team. 
just a guess, but it seems as though fsu fans should be worrying, while UF fans can sit back and concentrate this offseason.
You guys win one National Championship every ten years or so and you think you are all that
in modern times, how many teams win more than one a decade?
- you are just like RedSucks fan - a bunch of loser, rednecks that want to be like the Yankees and Florida State when it comes to winning consistently.
the braves analogy that LFO used was much better than the yankees.
Come talk once your team finishes in the top 5 even 5 years in a row.  Good night now.
come talk once your team gets back in the top 5.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#34 : April 25, 2008, 11:48:05 PM

LFO - i still think you are grasping with the brooks scenario.  if anything, i think fsu recruited the guy the best.  they told him what he wanted to hear, and then they let him see the light.  i dont see any broken promises or lies, just wise recruiting.  get the kid on campus first, and then let him decide what he wants to do.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 26, 2008, 09:32:19 AM

LFO - i still think you are grasping with the brooks scenario.  if anything, i think fsu recruited the guy the best.  they told him what he wanted to hear, and then they let him see the light.  i dont see any broken promises or lies, just wise recruiting.  get the kid on campus first, and then let him decide what he wants to do.

I agree with a lot of that, except the part where "let him decide."  Reality is, he never really had a choice.  Sure, they may have let him run around with the safety's his freshmen year, but did he REALLY have a shot at S?  I don't think as many Freshmen ever even played at that point.  I don't think FSU ever had an intention of him lining up at S, they just wanted him.  Which, hell who wouldn't?  The guy was going to be a LB and everyone knew it. 

Hey, it was a shrewd move and I never said any different.  I also stated I am sure it happens elsewhere.  But elsewhere they probably aren't always acting like their poop doesn't stink.....

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 26, 2008, 11:03:43 AM

REACTION? Like what? Getting my AK and walking down the street, stop at the dealers house and pick up some herb, roam around for awhile doing god knows what before getting busted by the police? Yeah great role model and person that I would want on the street. WAIT, would you mind a guy like that roaming around your street? By your home and family? didn't think so. Mistakes are what they are...mistakes. Some are big mistake while others, well.... you know the rest. This kid is bad news and should be shown SOME form of punishment..maybe he won't be shuch a screw up later on in life if he's shown what can happen, as well as other college players that watch this unfold. I'm sure he'll get off easy though. He will play the "race" and "I came from a bad family" card. Mark my words...he'll be playing again next year like nothing happened.

This all boils down to one common thing in todays colleges. They let thugs play football, let them slide through classes, (Because what's more important? The "team", or some professor that can be replaced that gets 35,000 a year?) while guys who are educated and pychologically sound get second-string or waterboy jobs. Personally, I believe at their current/and promised pay in the NFL...ONE..and only ONE slip up involving a gun should constitute expulsion from NFL entirely. period. No exceptions. If they need protection, ask for it. IF they would like a bodyguard, buy one... Theres absolutely NO reason they should be carrying guns.what? I hope they lock his stupid a## up! Give someone an opportunity like that and they (knowingly) throw it away????? Animals have more common sence than that. Get real.

You totally missed the point.  A semiautomatic handgun is not an AK assault rifle first of all.  Second, nobody said that this was a good thing.  My point is that you, like a bunch of other people, think that athletes have to be perfect.  If this was somebody other then a football player you wouldn't hear about it and they would get, at the most, probation.  His prior conviction was trying to steal a DVD from Wal-Mart, yea he is a hard criminal now.  Why do you people think these athletes should loose everything for every mistake?  Because you can not play as well as them?  Because they have the opportunity to make a lot more money then you?  Because they can be famous?  Come on now get off your pedestal.

ibis

Rookie

#37 : April 26, 2008, 11:05:41 AM

I read in the paper that Bowden quoted at a booster meeting saying 'He will miss some games'.  Sounds like the best offensive weapon the team has should be back soon enough.  Maybe game 3?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#38 : April 26, 2008, 06:11:11 PM

My point is that you, like a bunch of other people, think that athletes have to be perfect.  If this was somebody other then a football player you wouldn't hear about it and they would get, at the most, probation.  His prior conviction was trying to steal a DVD from Wal-Mart, yea he is a hard criminal now.  Why do you people think these athletes should loose everything for every mistake?  Because you can not play as well as them?  Because they have the opportunity to make a lot more money then you?  Because they can be famous?  Come on now get off your pedestal.

only probation for a gun and weed?  and did he hold up his end of the bargain from the disposition of the original theft charge?  they dont need to lose everything, but athletes need to be held accountable for their actions.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 29, 2008, 12:14:42 PM

What an amazing turn of events!

Apparently Mr. Parker has not been able to afford to pay $170 in fines to clear his previous charge.  You see, Mr. Parker was in a pre-trial diversion program because of his theft charge.   When he was arrested for the Weed and the Gun, he violated his terms and was pulled out of the program and a court date was set.  Miraculously, Parker promptly went to the courthouse and paid the $170 that he could not afford for MONTHS!  Charges dismissed!

It will be interesting to see if somehow the pot and weed charges disappear.  I mean, they weren't his right?

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/18335139.html

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#40 : April 29, 2008, 12:52:55 PM

its amazing how things work the same at two completely different universities such as florida and florida st.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 02, 2008, 09:43:54 AM

REACTION? Like what? Getting my AK and walking down the street, stop at the dealers house and pick up some herb, roam around for awhile doing god knows what before getting busted by the police? Yeah great role model and person that I would want on the street. WAIT, would you mind a guy like that roaming around your street? By your home and family? didn't think so. Mistakes are what they are...mistakes. Some are big mistake while others, well.... you know the rest. This kid is bad news and should be shown SOME form of punishment..maybe he won't be shuch a screw up later on in life if he's shown what can happen, as well as other college players that watch this unfold. I'm sure he'll get off easy though. He will play the "race" and "I came from a bad family" card. Mark my words...he'll be playing again next year like nothing happened.

This all boils down to one common thing in todays colleges. They let thugs play football, let them slide through classes, (Because what's more important? The "team", or some professor that can be replaced that gets 35,000 a year?) while guys who are educated and pychologically sound get second-string or waterboy jobs. Personally, I believe at their current/and promised pay in the NFL...ONE..and only ONE slip up involving a gun should constitute expulsion from NFL entirely. period. No exceptions. If they need protection, ask for it. IF they would like a bodyguard, buy one... Theres absolutely NO reason they should be carrying guns.what? I hope they lock his stupid a## up! Give someone an opportunity like that and they (knowingly) throw it away????? Animals have more common sence than that. Get real.

You totally missed the point. A semiautomatic handgun is not an AK assault rifle first of all. Second, nobody said that this was a good thing. My point is that you, like a bunch of other people, think that athletes have to be perfect. If this was somebody other then a football player you wouldn't hear about it and they would get, at the most, probation. His prior conviction was trying to steal a DVD from Wal-Mart, yea he is a hard criminal now. Why do you people think these athletes should loose everything for every mistake? Because you can not play as well as them? Because they have the opportunity to make a lot more money then you? Because they can be famous? Come on now get off your pedestal.

I THINK ..YOU MISSED... THE POINT SON! And yes, matter-of-fact I do! I do think since they are in a position of power they shouldn't act up..period! One screw up, and they are out! People like YOU are why we have people like Boston (dui's), Pittman (tried to run over wife with a hummer), Warren Sapp (caught with like, 5 lbs of pot..sure he wasn't dealing or anything), Mickel Vick (killed and fought dogs..KNOWING full well it was illegal), O.J. (do I have to mention what he did?). The list goes on........ There were 35 players in the NFL "IN" jail in 06.. That's not accounting for the players who got off, bought out, or just had the teams lawyers get them off the hook. Truth be known, If they were just the everyday layman...they would be sitting in jail. For THAT kind of protection and money, I'd say it shouldn't be all that hard to just be "good" lol. or at least, thankful...

Still, you want to breed that type of behavior??!? And as far as "probation" for "normal" people...get real!!! They would throw the book at any of us!!!!! Unless, your a daddies-boy that can buy yourself out of jail, or some rich businessman, your going to jail son...
I suggest you go and try what he did. See how far you get? Heck, YOU might get shot! Before they arrested him, I'm certain they knew who he was..so he wasn't getting capped lol. That would be REALLY bad PR, and the media attention would've gotten the policemen fired..They HAVE to understand that themselves.

Get with it man. It isn't jealously here...Heck, I'm happy I DON'T have to get back on the field again lol. I was an ok player and only played HS football....Honestly, I'd rather see someone else hit than me, at this point in my life lol. I played RB for two years. I also obtained one 1000+ yd season out of the two...not much for HS, I know, but still proud of minor accomplishments. The whole time I played I stayed out of trouble. Knowing full well, I would be kicked off the team. JUST for that...I was "good".
The way I figure it, they should be even more so, because NFL players would stand to loose waaay more than I would've.

Lastly...I DON'T CARE WHAT GUN IT WAS. AK= BIG GUN, Hand gun= well, it's a HAND-gun..can't be too big huh?
Was he hunting? No? Was he protecting himself? nah. I was just mentioning an AK because if a handgun will only get you said-time...then AK's won't be far behind, following suit for other criminals. It's called sarcasm. Maybe you should READ. You would have been able to tell I was being sarcastic if you hadn't been so self-rightious.

AND if you're stealing DVD's from WALMART...I have no (none) simpathy for you.. Were you hungry? DVD's don't taste good..

You pretend that major punishment is too far in this instance, it's not. If you REALLY liked the guy, and wanted to defend him..you would WANT major punishment. Otherwise, his trud-self will just grow up to do the same crap he's in trouble for now. I don't worry about kids smoking pot, so much as I don't like the idea of people walking down the street with an unregistered glock.

I'm thinking we have another bleeding heart on this MB...god help us.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 02, 2008, 12:44:03 PM

Wow!  Benchwarmer!   Wounded up a bit!   The SA dropped the DVD charge..  Is he a "bleeding heart"?

Can we just let the criminal justice system do its thing?   

If they press charges because they feel a felony conviction is appropriate than the kid most certainly will be off the team.

Lets let it play out before condemning or condoning.   Innocent until proven guilty or is it Guilty until proven innocent?

I tend to believe in the former.  How about you benchwarmer?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#43 : May 02, 2008, 01:11:13 PM

The SA dropped the DVD charge.. 

again, i find it very amusing that charges get dropped in gainesville, miami, AND tallahassee.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#44 : May 02, 2008, 08:45:06 PM

I just find it amusing how he could not come up with the money for MONTHS, he gets arrested for a felony, they drop him from the diversion program, and then POOF magically he appears with $$$ in hand and the state decides to drop the previous charge. 

Wonder where that $$$ came from?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Spin this BornaRunole « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools