Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: $5 a gallon gas coming by the end of the year, where will you be? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

spartan

Hall of Famer
#45 : April 24, 2008, 04:15:46 PM

Oh, and what do you do if you happen to live in Seattle?

Actually Spartan they have had prototype homes in Scotland and Northern England that have been self sufficient for years.  The technology is there but until the demand and production increases the costs are prohibitive.  AND no one said it was an option for every house in every area, but if you reduce the demand in some areas all areas will benefit.

In Florida most homes could probably generate three or four times the electricity they need, and it can be back-fed into the national grid.  Just think of that, free electric and you get to sell the stuff to the electric company as well.

The problem has always been the cost but with $120 oil we are nearing a point where many options become a possibility.  It also doesn't help much when half of your presidents Christmas card list are people in the oil industry.

If they started with all new homes and made it a building requirement the costs would come down fast.  Another $10k on a mortgage would cost under $50 a month, not bad for free electric.

I'm thinking ur sense of humor temporarily vacated the premises :)

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#46 : April 24, 2008, 10:19:35 PM

Oh, and what do you do if you happen to live in Seattle?

Actually Spartan they have had prototype homes in Scotland and Northern England that have been self sufficient for years. The technology is there but until the demand and production increases the costs are prohibitive. AND no one said it was an option for every house in every area, but if you reduce the demand in some areas all areas will benefit.

In Florida most homes could probably generate three or four times the electricity they need, and it can be back-fed into the national grid. Just think of that, free electric and you get to sell the stuff to the electric company as well.

The problem has always been the cost but with $120 oil we are nearing a point where many options become a possibility. It also doesn't help much when half of your presidents Christmas card list are people in the oil industry.

If they started with all new homes and made it a building requirement the costs would come down fast. Another $10k on a mortgage would cost under $50 a month, not bad for free electric.

I'm thinking ur sense of humor temporarily vacated the premises :)

Nah, It gets Wednesdays off.

Pirate Zone

Hall of Famer

#47 : April 24, 2008, 10:57:53 PM

Might see a heck of alot more of these out and about.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#48 : April 24, 2008, 11:03:38 PM

Might see a heck of alot more of these out and about.

???  Where do you put the gas?

Pirate Zone

Hall of Famer

#49 : April 24, 2008, 11:06:45 PM

^
LOL; I guess eat a bunch of pork n beans and create your own!  :D  :o

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#50 : April 24, 2008, 11:08:07 PM

^
LOL; I guess eat a bunch of pork n beans and create your own! :D :o

I am sure there will be plenty of gas is some of the fat heifers around Tampa start peddling around of cycles.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#51 : April 25, 2008, 10:55:28 AM

Screw the environment I WANT CHEAP FUEL.   8)

I am not pretending to know the answers BUT there are alternatives out there.  It takes legislation and very expensive oil to get the ball rolling.....well at least we have one half of the equation.   :(

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#52 : April 25, 2008, 08:48:36 AM

Analysts are predicting $5 a gallon by the end of the year. Some are well off enough to no be bothered but most people are highly affected by these prices. Not only do you get killed at the pump but you get killed in the grocery store.

The quetion is when will it stop? At what point does it have to get to for the US to either stop controlling the amount of supply coming in or start drilling here?

Is this the first time gas has crippled the US economy?

Where will I be????????????

I'll be taking a long, expensive road trip to go pee on Bush......

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#53 : April 25, 2008, 08:58:33 AM

What alternative fuel?

Ever noticed that big yellow/red circle in the sky during the day?  Its hot and with the right collection method you can get energy from it.

Stick a cheap plastic pool panel on the roof and circulate the contents through a copper coil in your hot water tank,  and bingo unlimited FREE hot water.  Stick some solar panels up there and add a bank of batteries, and bingo enough electricity to run most household appliances.

Just do those two things on all new homes in the south and the demand for electric will start to fall, and with it gas, coal and oil.  If the demand for those raw materials drop the cost of producing electricity goes with it........BINGO, electrically powered cars become more cost effective.

If adding those panels cost around $10k for a house the size of mine, and the government want to give me a $2k grant and let me write the rest of the cost against my tax, then I will add it to my older home. Within two and half years I would have paid for the installation out of the cost savings, and then I am electric bill free for about 20-25 years.

BTW - while we are building new homes how about actually making them energy efficient.

Baby steps. ;)

FYI...solor pannels aren't totally eco-friendly, The materials when used up are not reused, but tossed out..adding more to landfills and pollutants in the ground when theres run-off. But hey! I agree with most of what you typed! If it's cheaper in the longrun, then I'm all for it. At this time, the panels are not cheap though, and depending on how much you DON'T use energy, it may not be the most cost effective method. But for me.....It would be. Gotta have phone, cell, hotwater and TV and/or PC or I'd lose it.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: $5 a gallon gas coming by the end of the year, where will you be? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools