Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: For those that want to trade down in the draft. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

« : December 10, 2006, 04:04:20 PM »

Currently, there is only one team in the NFL that has 2 1st round picks. Considering that the Bucs will most likely have a top 3 pick, it will take at least 2 first rounders. NE has two, theirs and Seattles. Both of them will have late 1st round picks, not nearly the value of a top 3 or even top 5 pick. The only way, currently, for the Bucs to trade down is to get a player or two in the deal. This IMHO, is a lot less likely.

Info: http://football.about.com/od/nfldraft/a/tradedpicks.htm

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #1 : December 10, 2006, 04:09:29 PM »

Currently, there is only one team in the NFL that has 2 1st round picks. Considering that the Bucs will most likely have a top 3 pick, it will take at least 2 first rounders. NE has two, theirs and Seattles. Both of them will have late 1st round picks, not nearly the value of a top 3 or even top 5 pick. The only way, currently, for the Bucs to trade down is to get a player or two in the deal. This IMHO, is a lot less likely.

Info: http://football.about.com/od/nfldraft/a/tradedpicks.htm

It doesn't have to be a major trade, for instance:

We have 3rd pick -  2200 point

team B has 7th or 8th pick but want a player at 3rd:

7th pick -  1500
39th pick - 510

We could get their first and second round picks, and maybe next years 2nd rounder if they want the trade badly enough.

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

« #2 : December 13, 2006, 05:24:30 PM »

First off, I don't care about those point values, the #3 for #7 and #39 is a HORRIBLE trade. Lots of teams have gotten a lot more than that. Adding next years pick could balance it, but, as a lot of people are saying, if Gruden is given another year, he must win NOW. Trading todays picks for next year does him no good and he would never  do it.

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

Booger

Starter

« #3 : December 13, 2006, 05:27:39 PM »

First off, I don't care about those point values, the #3 for #7 and #39 is a HORRIBLE trade.

I disagree, especially taking into consideration the salary implications of a 3rd overall pick.

I can name 7 players that are worth taking in the Draft:

Quinn, Thomas, Johnson, Peterson, Adams, Branch, and Russell

« #4 : December 13, 2006, 05:52:51 PM »

First off, I don't care about those point values, the #3 for #7 and #39 is a HORRIBLE trade. Lots of teams have gotten a lot more than that. Adding next years pick could balance it, but, as a lot of people are saying, if Gruden is given another year, he must win NOW. Trading todays picks for next year does him no good and he would never  do it.

Hehe...whatever...it depends on what players are there.  Period.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #5 : December 13, 2006, 07:01:57 PM »

players or 2008 draft picks in addition to '07 picks are also considerations for trading down

also, before the draft, a couple of teams made trades to acquire multiple 1st-rounders, so i'd imagine the number of trading partners will increase as draft day approaches.

the bucs might also consider a #1 and multiple #2s in exchange for a trade down....i haven't checked into the depth of the draft, but dropping from #3 to #8 and having 4 2nd round picks might be a nice situation to be in, also gives us the latitude to trade a pair of second rounders to jump back into the bottom of the 1st.

but the draft is mostly a whole lot of rumor & speculation that ends with 90% of teams picking where they were designated to pick.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #6 : December 13, 2006, 08:10:00 PM »

Will all this Adrian Peterson nonsense please cease!  C'mon guys, get a grip here.

If the Bucs get #3, they will take the BAP for their needs.  Be it a DL, or a OL.  But those are the best available options for the Bucs right now.  Granted, drafting a QB seems to be a good idea, but that means, in essence, that the Bucs are resigned to a three yer plan of improvement, which means a lot more suffering to come...

I don't know about you guys, but this whole idea of having losing seasons back to back, or having three or four average - mediocre seasons is killing me.  They need to shore up the D-line ASAP, or the O-Line ASAP!

TDTB

Second String

« #7 : December 13, 2006, 08:17:36 PM »

Holy crap, logical argument about draft posistion instead of just "TRADE DOWN"

Honestly unless a team absolutely falls in love with a player, they don't generally trade. The wildcard is Calvin Johnson,  a team might trade with us to leapfrog another team that would take him in their posistion.

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 14, 2006, 03:33:15 AM »

Hehe...whatever...it depends on what players are there. Period.

You are 100% correct. It does depend on which players are available. The player available determines the value of the trade, not any point system.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #9 : December 14, 2006, 08:44:22 AM »

The point system is a guide not a bible. That said, all the guys up at the top of the board, almost all, are guys we need and why thezeal to drop down I don't know.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

« #10 : December 14, 2006, 09:01:15 AM »

The point system is a guide not a bible. That said, all the guys up at the top of the board, almost all, are guys we need and why thezeal to drop down I don't know.

Agreed, for the teams involved in any trade, what matters is: What players are available?

« #11 : December 14, 2006, 10:02:43 AM »

It will all come down to how bad a team wants Calvin Johnson...or how bad Jon Gruden wants Calvin Johnson.

Brady Quinn will go First to Oakland
Joe Thomas will go Second to Detroit
Calvin Johnson will be there at 3 IMO

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

« #12 : December 14, 2006, 10:15:06 AM »

The only way I could imagine the team wanting to trade down is if they make a big splash in the UFA market. Trading down at that point might allow the team to address multiple positions by way of youth to add to the veteran leadership on the team.

It will all come down to how bad a team wants Calvin Johnson...or how bad Jon Gruden wants Calvin Johnson.

Brady Quinn will go First to Oakland
Joe Thomas will go Second to Detroit
Calvin Johnson will be there at 3 IMO

OT:

I don't see why you feel Oakland will draft Quinn let alone have the first pick. With the possibility that Plummer, Leftwich, Carr and Culpepper will be hitting the skids this off season, Oakland has no reason to draft a QB. Calvin Johnson is their guy most likely.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #13 : December 14, 2006, 11:38:24 AM »

I think a trade down is pretty unlikely given the players that are likely to be available at 3, particularly since those players also play critical positions not only for the Bucs, but for the NFL in general. Gruden once said that the 4 most important positions in football are QB, LT, pass-rushing end, and shut-down corner (not sure of the order after QB). Well the upper echelon in the draft just happen to fit three of those spots. And the other premier guy - Calvin Johnson - might just be the best WR prospect in years, and one of the few that seems to have no need for melodrama.

The only way I see them dropping at this point is if they have a ranking at odds with much of the rest of the NFL - for example, maybe they feel Sam Baker, or Jake Long are as good or better than Joe Thomas; or that Quentin Moses is better than Gaines Adams. I don't see that, but it's about the only scenario in which a trade down makes sense.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
« #14 : December 14, 2006, 12:08:45 PM »

OT:

I don't see why you feel Oakland will draft Quinn let alone have the first pick. With the possibility that Plummer, Leftwich, Carr and Culpepper will be hitting the skids this off season, Oakland has no reason to draft a QB. Calvin Johnson is their guy most likely.
They will probably go after Johnson or Peterson...I don't see them drafting Quinn with their likely interest in Leftwich.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: For those that want to trade down in the draft. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools