Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WSJ: Start stockpiling food « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: April 25, 2008, 11:42:53 AM

Forget about stockpiling gasoline....an article in the Wall Street Journal says that Americans should start to think about stockpiling food, claiming that food prices will "rise like oil prices" as riots begin to break out in the 3rd world in response to what is being called the Global Food Crisis. Even retailers in the US like Wal-Mart have begun to ration how much rice Americans can buy.

It is hitting America. Food inflation in the United States has risen to an increase of 4.5% a year. Combined with rising energy prices and wages that have become stagnant or even declined....America could be looking at depression that would rival the 1930s.

And some prices are rising even more quickly. The latest data show cereal prices rising by more than 8% a year. Both flour and rice are up more than 13%. Milk, cheese, bananas and even peanut butter: They're all up by more than 10%. Eggs have rocketed up 30% in a year. Ground beef prices are up 4.8% and chicken by 5.4%.

Some countries such as Russia have even resorted to putting price caps on some food products.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120881517227532621.html

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 25, 2008, 11:44:48 AM

I've been stockpiling Doritos and Twinkies for some time now...

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 25, 2008, 11:45:55 AM

With the preservatives in those things....you should be good to go for 100 years....

#3 : April 25, 2008, 12:14:09 PM

5When the Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, "Come!" I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. 6Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "A quart[a] of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages,[c] and do not damage the oil and the wine!" - Rev 6:5,6.

Are we seeing this now ? Time will tell; if it becomes this bad, we'll know.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 25, 2008, 12:14:52 PM

I better fill my beer fridge up.

#5 : April 25, 2008, 01:34:11 PM

If the price of wheat doesn't stabilize, that may be a good investment, and a tasty one at that.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 25, 2008, 01:35:48 PM

If the price of wheat doesn't stabilize, that may be a good investment, and a tasty one at that.

heck even if it a false alarm, a full beer fridge is never a bad thing.   ;D

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#7 : April 25, 2008, 01:56:04 PM

We Americans could afford to miss a meal or two......here's one example.

#8 : April 25, 2008, 02:06:48 PM

heck even if it a false alarm, a full beer fridge is never a bad thing.   ;D

Exactly. ;D

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 25, 2008, 05:07:03 PM

I better fill my beer fridge up.

I with you on that. I'm not sure how long a man can survive on beer alone, but I'll be happy to find out.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 25, 2008, 05:21:30 PM

Smart people have been doing this for a while now. When I first mentioned stock piling some extra
food (to help beat inflation if things go to hell) a month or so ago to my friends and family, they
probably thought I had joined a Survivalist cult (I only attended one meeting!) and went off the
deep end. But to me, it was just common sense. Nice to see the WSJ try to get people to wake
up. Just in case.

For those who are interested...

http://survivalblog.com

Same Club and Costco and others have limited how many big bags you can buy of rice and
I think a few other items.

#11 : April 25, 2008, 05:43:15 PM

Joe, I bulk shop as well and normally have 4-6 months of food anyway. But what I like about the WSJ article that cyberdude posted is you can look at it as short term investment.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 25, 2008, 05:47:16 PM

heard this yesterday and then immediately heard it discounted... i think some people get off on the drama of "lack of gas" or "stockpile food" or "hurricane preparedness, go buy 891745847 batteries".

Wow. Price of rice went up and a bunch of paranoid lunatics that think the government is out to get em had an anxiety attack and began buying rice by the truckload.

Always intelligent to follow in those footsteps.

Wake me up when the cows are gone, and I cant buy a burger.

#13 : April 25, 2008, 08:40:48 PM

Eh... I don't eat much rice anyway.

Remember: While beer has food value, food has no beer value.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 25, 2008, 09:10:53 PM

heard this yesterday and then immediately heard it discounted... i think some people get off on the drama of "lack of gas" or "stockpile food" or "hurricane preparedness, go buy 891745847 batteries".

Wow. Price of rice went up and a bunch of paranoid lunatics that think the government is out to get em had an anxiety attack and began buying rice by the truckload.

Always intelligent to follow in those footsteps.

Wake me up when the cows are gone, and I cant buy a burger.

Some people get off on preparing for their family, just in case and others just don't give a crap.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WSJ: Start stockpiling food « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools