Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WSJ: Start stockpiling food « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#60 : April 26, 2008, 04:40:55 PM

I don't know where you get those prices for those jeeps. I looked these up.

Your link is for used vehicles, unless you look at the bottom prices.  I got them off the Jeep Australia website, and it totally confirmed what my Australian friends told me. 

http://www.jeep.com.au/grand_cherokee/pricing.html

In Australia there is little discounting because everything in imported from a VERY long way away.  They have more on the road costs as well. In the US I can get $6-$7k off a Jeep.

The nurses salary is identical but in Australia the total tax on that salary would be $20k, and in the US its under $10k.   So a US nurse would take home $50k a year and could buy a Jeep every 6 months.   An Australian nurse would take around $40k home a year, and it would take them 18 months to earn a Jeep.

The main difference between the US and other countries isn't the salaries, its the lower tax and much more affordable standard of living.  The weak dollar and slowly declining economy is slowly eroding those advantaged we have.   

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WSJ: Start stockpiling food « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools