Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The shock and Awe of the Talib pick « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#75 : April 27, 2008, 08:42:46 AM

At first I was taken back by the pick. But I'm starting to warm up. I really like his size.

But pick#2 has knocked the wind out of me !!!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#76 : April 27, 2008, 08:52:10 AM

Two of my draft guides had him rated number one Corner. So yes, I would have wanted him.

Then again - I might be the only non-biased guy in the conversation...

what?...I said...might

And I agree with bradentonian - the "pot use" issue was not just once...he was busted and suspended 3 times. That shows lack of respect for authority - because he told his coach he wouldn't do it again. Shows a lack of character - because he told his teamates that he was sorry, and he'd never do it again...and then he did it.

What happens when this is done to us? What do each of us do when someone skips practice to get high, and you have to do more in practivce and he shows up for the game? Then, when you really need him, he gets suspended for something he told you he wouldn't do? Then he serves his suspension and comes back works hard, them starts showing up late to practice...high? Would you get pissed? What if you were a senior offensive lineman when this guy gets bounced AGAIN and this time you don't make it to a bowl game or your coach gets fired...and...or you make it rain in a disco...and the team loses it's starting player, the teamates loses an opportunity, and the offensive player - gets a trade and a new deal....?

If any of this sounds familiar (paynoattenion-pacmanjonessubliminal) to actual events (GoodelssuspendedChrisHenrytoo) that occurred in the NFL...it's purely (pacman) coincidental. I mean (keepin' it reeal at da' club) it ain't like he got to be in the club man...

No - you are not the only unbiased guy in the conversation - though it is likely you are one of the few who can spell unbiased without checking

And now - my unbiased friend - the kid - and he was a young kid in '06 - smoked pot and got busted - he paid his price.  His coach - Mangino - describes him as the type of kid (he still is one) who you would have baby sit your kids.  Do you think maybe the buccs talked with Mangino, that Monte and Raheem met with the kid, that every question and answer were measured - vetted, and verified - prior to him being the bucc's pick.  I sure do - without a doubt.

Now, don't get me wrong - when the bucc's pick came up I was thinking Mendenhall and Johnson (4bucs guy) were the reason for delay - but clearly the buccs overall operation led by Allen were measuring those two perhaps along with the wrs and Talib.  They used their combined evaluations and need for a playmaker to pick Talib - a cb and a playmaker. 

So - I will move forward under the presumption that CB was a larger need than I percieved, that this kid can be a huge asset to the club - with even a better assurance the draft is a community project led by Allen - that meets the agreed needs to the team...

And if he turns out to be a Pac-man type - you will be right in your conniption - and the buccs will have been wrong.  And I am betting on the buccs on this one. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#77 : April 27, 2008, 09:28:25 AM

The pot use is really a non-issue.

Until he's suspended
Well if you are going to bray, how about I say a player is fine.  Until he gets hurt.

Jebus H. Christabon.

replica

Hall of Famer
#78 : April 27, 2008, 09:35:40 AM

I'm happy with our picks, the pot thing is a total non issue for me. Having yet another D Jax? Pretty cool, he looks fast as heck in those highlight reels. I really wanted Brohm, I'm tired of our QB 'issues'. Maybe we pick one up today like Brennan or the guy who threw just one pick this season. Regardless, the draft is a lot of fun in a long offseason.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#79 : April 27, 2008, 01:17:46 PM

Zeitgeist Boid - the spirit of the law - not just the letter of the law...

And I get that Aqib was a kid - and I admit, after hearing his interview I believe he's not the kid that was busted 3 times for weed...

but was Aqib Talib really the BPA? As you suggest, time will tell. He's got some stiff competition with Mendenhall, Jones, Thomas, Johnson, Avery and Merling all there when we picked...time will tell. I hope I was wrong on his ability too, I really do.

I'm just saying that if no one else though this was the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE then you understand where I'm coming from...best corner? Debatable - but the case could be made for that...

BPA?

Not so much...

Incomparable sig by Incognito
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The shock and Awe of the Talib pick « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools