Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dexter Jackson is not a wide receiver?!?! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bait619

Starter

: April 28, 2008, 04:39:36 AM

according to NFL.com that is...did they really write this?

Needs Analysis: Aqib Talib gives the Buccaneers a young cornerback on a pretty good defense. He will likely back up veterans Ronde Barber and Phillip Buchanon. Tampa Bay needed to add a receiver to go with 36-year-old Joey Galloway, but did not take one. The team did take kick returner Dexter Jackson in the second round. No surprise, the Buccaneers added another quarterback, Josh Johnson, who is raw having played at a low level in college but is very athletic and has a strong arm.

Pick Analysis:Jackson is an excellent return man with tremendous speed, a 4.33 in the 40. He didn't catch a lot of passes at Appalachian State, but that's because they are not a passing offense. He has the ability to make big plays. He averaged 16.8-yards on 110 receptions.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker#tab:dt-by-team|team-tb

MVP

Pro Bowler

#1 : April 28, 2008, 07:18:36 AM

He seems to be initially earmarked for PR/KR duties but he should see time as a Slot Reciever.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 28, 2008, 07:23:03 AM

As he should be. Contribute as a PR/KR and he's gonna be our 4th or 5th WR

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 28, 2008, 09:45:58 AM

They also said Josh Johnson  "wasn't a very good passer"...  43 TD's and 1 INT on a ball that bounced off his TE's chest isn't good enough, I guess...

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 28, 2008, 09:49:03 AM

They also said Josh Johnson  "wasn't a very good passer"...  43 TD's and 1 INT on a ball that bounced off his TE's chest isn't good enough, I guess...

A lot based that opinion on his combine workout, which wasn't all that good -- the longer throws across his body consistently sailed on him. He was suffering back spasms at the time, which could certainly cause that to be the case for cross-body throws.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#5 : April 28, 2008, 09:54:02 AM

Josh Johnson was one of those extra QBs that the NFL brought in to help with the receiving drills. He was basically an extra arm, so the focus on him was not nearly as extensive as that of the higher rated QBs. As a result we didn't see all of his throws like the other QBs.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 28, 2008, 09:57:17 AM

If Johnson is a real legitimate NFL talent and he comes here and turns into a player for the Bucs, I think we'll be able to thank his disappointing combine for making him available to the Bucs in round five. If not, then he's only a fifth round pick. Either way, I'm all in favor of giving the kid a chance.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#7 : April 28, 2008, 10:01:27 AM

I don't buy into that poor combine showing at all DTG. He did fine, sure some of his passes sailed, but he wasn't throwing ducks or throwing short. Timing is key with passing drills, which is why he fared much better working with his rceeivers at his own pro day. I remember watching Jay Cutler and listening to Mayock give commentary a couple of years back aand he made the same argument. Cutlers passes were all crisp and his technique was sound even though he was missing the WRs. We didn't get that type of coverage from Mayock on Johnson because he wasn't one of the featured QBs.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 28, 2008, 10:03:58 AM

Time will tell.

In the meantime,  I'd like to see Gruden use him in a Slash-like role. Johnson is an athlete with 4.4 speed.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 28, 2008, 10:06:19 AM

I don't buy into that poor combine showing at all DTG.

Well, either way, outside of the combine he's shown he can throw the football well. We'll see if he's got anything when he plays against NFL-level competition, even if it is guys who don't make the final roster on the opposing team. In the end, he's a prospect that will either break out or be out.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#10 : April 28, 2008, 10:10:40 AM

I don't buy into that poor combine showing at all DTG.

Well, either way, outside of the combine he's shown he can throw the football well. We'll see if he's got anything when he plays against NFL-level competition, even if it is guys who don't make the final roster on the opposing team. In the end, he's a prospect that will either break out or be out.

Very true.

Time will tell.

In the meantime, I'd like to see Gruden use him in a Slash-like role. Johnson is an athlete with 4.4 speed.

That would be a mistake IMO. Let's find out whether or not he can play the QB before we start tinkering around and asking him to do other things on the field. I would be completely happy watching him hold a clip board for the next two years.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 28, 2008, 11:42:52 AM

They also said Josh Johnson "wasn't a very good passer"... 43 TD's and 1 INT on a ball that bounced off his TE's chest isn't good enough, I guess...

A lot based that opinion on his combine workout, which wasn't all that good -- the longer throws across his body consistently sailed on him. He was suffering back spasms at the time, which could certainly cause that to be the case for cross-body throws.

True. What they showed of Johnson's workout at the combine he looked attrocious in a "what the heck is this guy even here" fashion.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

benir0

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 28, 2008, 12:00:45 PM

If Johnson is a real legitimate NFL talent and he comes here and turns into a player for the Bucs, I think we'll be able to thank his disappointing combine for making him available to the Bucs in round five. If not, then he's only a fifth round pick. Either way, I'm all in favor of giving the kid a chance.

My opinion as well...  I admit that I'm in love with his raw skillset, though.  The comparisons to Shaun King are so overblown, because King never was this gifted or intelligent.  I hope Johnson puts the work in over the next year or two.  He's in a better situation than King was, learning behind an established vet and master of this offense in Garcia.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 28, 2008, 12:02:41 PM

My opinion as well... I admit that I'm in love with his raw skillset, though. The comparisons to Shaun King are so overblown, because King never was this gifted or intelligent. I hope Johnson puts the work in over the next year or two. He's in a better situation than King was, learning behind an established vet and master of this offense in Garcia.

King is very intelligent.  His problems were arm strength and motivation.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 28, 2008, 12:29:42 PM

He can block!  Rejoice!

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dexter Jackson is not a wide receiver?!?! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools