Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SR, why Talib and not Mendenhall???? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 16

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 28, 2008, 10:34:30 PM

The first 2 picks were baffling... Didnt make sense for what was on the board.

If these two players dont work out, Gruden and Allen will get hell for it.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#16 : April 28, 2008, 10:38:34 PM

I am sitting here on Monday night still scratching my head as to why we took Aqib Talib over maybe one of the best RB's in this year's draft. Mendenhall is maybe one of the most complete backs to come out in the past couple of years (Adrian Peterson aside) and we have an obvious need at RB, not CB in my opinion. Plus we could have drafted a CB in Round 2 or Round 3.

At CB we have a proven Ronde Barber who probably has 2 years left, Phillip Buchanan has gotten better every year he has been here and he is a very talented guy, Eugene Wilson was signed this off-season and he has proven he can be a starter, Sammy Davis did not play that bad last year and Torrie Cox has some decent skills.

You fail to realize that all the DBs mentioned are basically 1 year guys. Ronde aint getting any younger, PB is in a contract year, Davis same, Wilson is basically a year-to-year guy. Not to mention defense wins championships.

Mendenhall would have been a wasted pick for next year. The liklihood that he would get significant carries from Graham and Dunn in this offense is zero.

That is true BUT - EG is in his last year, Dunn is finishing his career and Bennett has messed his career up.  So .. at worst a push for Mendenhall - unless as Leeroy states - the buccs know or feel strongly that CADDY WILL BE BACK - caps added for my dear friend, the trivia guru and caddy-loving Hate....

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#17 : April 28, 2008, 10:39:32 PM

I am sitting here on Monday night still scratching my head as to why we took Aqib Talib over maybe one of the best RB's in this year's draft.  Mendenhall is maybe one of the most complete backs to come out in the past couple of years (Adrian Peterson aside) and we have an obvious need at RB, not CB in my opinion.  Plus we could have drafted a CB in Round 2 or Round 3.

At CB we have a proven Ronde Barber who probably has 2 years left, Phillip Buchanan has gotten better every year he has been here and he is a very talented guy, Eugene Wilson was signed this off-season and he has proven he can be a starter, Sammy Davis did not play that bad last year and Torrie Cox has some decent skills.

At RB we have an unproven Graham as he has never shown he can do it AGAIN, Warrick is a nice pick-up but he is in his early 30's and not a 20 - 25 carry a game back and Bennett although he has speed and can catch still cannot block.  Then you add in the fact that Cadillac may never play again and even if he does he may never be the same.  I understand you don't want a bunch of money tied up in one position but you don't get the chance to draft a stud like Mendenhall very often.

Mendenhall has no holes in his game, he has good size, good speed, good hands, able to block and he has good character.  

Everybody knows my feelings on Graham and I think honestly if you look at things objectively and not through Croc glasses you would see he is a consistent back but he has no upside, he can only get worse and again he has never proven he can be the man full-time all season long.  Then you add in the fact he is 28, wants a large contract and you have the same issue - a lot of money tied up in one position.

I totally understand Talib over Mike Jenkins as Talib is a much more accomplished playmaker but all off season we heard about how we need playmakers yet we have one of the best playmakers fall right in our laps and we take a pass on him.

Mike Tomlin obviously knows how good of a player he is and it is not like the Steelers needed a RB as they have Willie Parker who has proven a lot more than Graham and Bennett have combined.

To me if you are going to pass on Mendenhall we should have traded our #1 and #2 this year and #1 next year for Jaren Allen as no matter how good Talib is he is no Jared Allen as far as dominating and splash plays.  He is not the next Woodson and he is not the next McAlister.  He is not even the next Cromartie and it is hard to believe he is so talented that this is the first CB we have taken in the first round in how many years?  We have passed on a lot more talented CB's over the years and I for one again do not understand the logic in Talib over Mendenhall.

I also don't see the need for Dexter Jackson and Zuttah as I think we drafted two back-ups and second and third round picks need to be starters.  When we look back at this draft we will see we drafted three back-ups in the first three rounds and to me we get a D for this draft.  Dre Moore is the only thing really saving this draft as he was a good value in round 4 and although I like Josh Johnson he is a project and I hope Gruden does not mess it up as he has NEVER developed a young QB to do much of anything in this league

Good post.

Cross our fingers that the duct tape that is holding this team together currently can hold up.  The coaching staff will have to work miracles for this team to advance beyond the first round this coming season.

#18 : April 28, 2008, 10:41:26 PM

you crack me up, dbuc.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 28, 2008, 10:53:16 PM

Obviously the Bucs FO has confidence in both Graham as a starter and Carnell rehabbing from his injury. That should be crystal clear right now to everyone. We finished 10th in rushing people, our offensive line is much improved both through experience and upgrading at center. I still haven't figured out why so many people feel we NEED to upgrade at RB.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 28, 2008, 10:56:50 PM

The Bucs had the #1 pass defense last year.

It is not as clear cut as it is made out to be.

Taking BAP and adding a playmaker that the offense desperately needed was a no brainer to me.

The Bucs have contract issues to sort out at RB (Does Graham receive a new contract?  Will Carnell be re-signed down the road? ) as well not just CB with only Barber signed beyond this year.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#21 : April 28, 2008, 10:58:29 PM

I want everyone who is hating on Aqib Talib to go watch some film on the guy. Watch his combine workouts. No disrespect to the CB's that have made a name for themselves here in Tampa, but I dont recall every having an athletic guy like Talib at the CB position, EVER. You can say all you want about the weed, you can talk about him getting burned in one game by Jordy Nelson and his inconsistencies at time, but this guy is a LEADER and he PRODUCED.

He will be as great as he wants to be, and a good RB is not as hard to find as a good CB. Mendenhall has my respect but he is just as much of a one year wonder as EG is. He had a great year last year, but Talib (arguably single handedly) put Kansas Jayhawks football back on the map. No one has denied it to this point, and if you deny that your blind.

I understand the perceived lack of offensive weapons that we have, but I think the right pick was made on draft day. I just hope that Aqib thinks so too (in his press conference he seemed like he was motivated to play here), because the guy has the tools and instincts to be a SHUT DOWN corner, something we havent had here in some time, if ever...

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#22 : April 28, 2008, 11:00:17 PM

I believe the reason we took Talib and not Mendenhall was sustained productivity over a period of time. Mendenhall has had one year where he has been a force. Talib has been a force every year he has been playing. From day one he has been a ball hawk and i believe the year before last he was close to tops in the league in pass break ups. Not too mention recording 5 INTs this year, and 6 last. Add in his 6 total TD's this year (4 offense and 2 INT returns) and you have a flat out play maker. The facts are this kid shows up big when he needs to. He was the reason they won the orange bowl, seeing as how he was MVP in the game and flat out dominated the entire game, and then, if you remember that youtube moment where Jordy Nelson smoked Talib, well you must then go back and look at the rest of the game where Talib then scored an offensive TD to make up for it and then sealed the game with an interception. The kid was basically an All American his entire college career, he didn't have any down years, and he beat out people to play.

At first, I was right there with you. "How could we pass on Mendenhall AND Thomas with our anemic offense". After reviewing it though, I realize why we added Talib. We needed help against the Big WR's we will see in our division and around the league for a long time, and we need a guy who can take away half the field and force offenses to try and throw on Ronde, for now, and who ever is there in the future. I truly believe with Talib our red zone defense will be much improved with a 6'1 CB with a 38 inch vertical with great ball skills. This kid looks legit, and isn't a big risk like some would like to say, he is a value pick that can become one of the elite CB's in this league. I think looking back there is only 1 CB I would have taken over him in this entire draft and that is Mckelvin, and even he doesn't have the INT ability of Talib.

I think Mendenhall went to a perfect situation where he can be thunder, with Willie as lightening, and I think he will be a great back. But don't ex off Talib so fast, five me a shut down corner over a good RB anyday. If you can take away a team's best reciever, you basically can remove their entire passing game.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#23 : April 28, 2008, 11:00:52 PM

He will be as great as he wants to be, and a good RB is not as hard to find as a good CB

What defensive scheme are the Bucs using that allows them to rotate in new CB's and safties on a yearly basis and barely drop off in level of pass defense?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#24 : April 28, 2008, 11:01:44 PM

you crack me up, dbuc.

Good to see you happy, nice sig line...  next trivia contest will be PR shirts with 24 on them... just sayin'

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Madman

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 28, 2008, 11:02:01 PM

I want everyone who is hating on Aqib Talib to go watch some film on the guy. Watch his combine workouts. No disrespect to the CB's that have made a name for themselves here in Tampa, but I dont recall every having an athletic guy like Talib at the CB position, EVER. You can say all you want about the weed, you can talk about him getting burned in one game by Jordy Nelson and his inconsistencies at time, but this guy is a LEADER and he PRODUCED.

He will be as great as he wants to be, and a good RB is not as hard to find as a good CB. Mendenhall has my respect but he is just as much of a one year wonder as EG is. He had a great year last year, but Talib (arguably single handedly) put Kansas Jayhawks football back on the map. No one has denied it to this point, and if you deny that your blind.

I understand the perceived lack of offensive weapons that we have, but I think the right pick was made on draft day. I just hope that Aqib thinks so too (in his press conference he seemed like he was motivated to play here), because the guy has the tools and instincts to be a SHUT DOWN corner, something we havent had here in some time, if ever...

Well said TbC!! Spot on IMO.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#26 : April 28, 2008, 11:02:14 PM

I believe the reason we took Talib and not Mendenhall was sustained productivity over a period of time. Mendenhall has had one year where he has been a force. Talib has been a force every year he has been playing. From day one he has been a ball hawk and i believe the year before last he was close to tops in the league in pass break ups. Not too mention recording 5 INTs this year, and 6 last. Add in his 6 total TD's this year (4 offense and 2 INT returns) and you have a flat out play maker. The facts are this kid shows up big when he needs to. He was the reason they won the orange bowl, seeing as how he was MVP in the game and flat out dominated the entire game, and then, if you remember that youtube moment where Jordy Nelson smoked Talib, well you must then go back and look at the rest of the game where Talib then scored an offensive TD to make up for it and then sealed the game with an interception. The kid was basically an All American his entire college career, he didn't have any down years, and he beat out people to play.

At first, I was right there with you. "How could we pass on Mendenhall AND Thomas with our anemic offense". After reviewing it though, I realize why we added Talib. We needed help against the Big WR's we will see in our division and around the league for a long time, and we need a guy who can take away half the field and force offenses to try and throw on Ronde, for now, and who ever is there in the future. I truly believe with Talib our red zone defense will be much improved with a 6'1 CB with a 38 inch vertical with great ball skills. This kid looks legit, and isn't a big risk like some would like to say, he is a value pick that can become one of the elite CB's in this league. I think looking back there is only 1 CB I would have taken over him in this entire draft and that is Mckelvin, and even he doesn't have the INT ability of Talib.

I think Mendenhall went to a perfect situation where he can be thunder, with Willie as lightening, and I think he will be a great back. But don't ex off Talib so fast, five me a shut down corner over a good RB anyday. If you can take away a team's best reciever, you basically can remove their entire passing game.

We pretty much echo'ed each other lol. Good post man, I agree with ya.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 28, 2008, 11:04:14 PM

I believe the reason we took Talib and not Mendenhall was sustained productivity over a period of time.

I had considered that but with the drafting of Jackson in the 2nd round that arguement loses some of its weight.

I think contract negotations are not progressing all to well with Buchanon (Big assumption on my part).  The drafting of a CB in the first round makes sense due to how over valued the position has become on the open market (They are now receiving more money than left tackles).  I am a big fan of Phillip Buchanon but I do not see how the Bucs re-sign him to a reasonable deal.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#28 : April 28, 2008, 11:04:44 PM

Although I am not happy with the current situation at RB, and would have liked us to take a 1st/2nd round back I believe that we made the right selection at number 20. I feel that a RB can come in and compete almost immediately, where as a CB takes some time to learn the system and get the feel for the speed making it necessary to draft a CB before the need for one actually shows up. Talib is said to be the best cover corner in this class and fits perfectly into our system. Under Raheem, Monte, Barber and Wilson, Talib will have one of the best groups of people to learn his position and how to translate his skill set to the pro level.

I believe that for this year, the Bucs are satisfied with their RB situation enough to hold out one more year before taking another first or second round RB. Dunn will give this team reliable hands, excellent blocking skills, and that veteran leadership that Gruden covets. Along with Graham, Bennett, and now possibly Boyd we have a "DECENT" stable for one more year of the RBBC approach.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 28, 2008, 11:05:18 PM

I really don't see the difference between Graham and Mendenhall.

They both struggle with the same things, and they both excel at the same things (except Graham has proven he can do it on a pro level)

Running forty yards three tenths of a second faster (Arguable, considering some outlets report Graham can run a 4.50) is all Mendenhall really has on Graham.

He strikes me as a William Green type.

He could easily prove me wrong (I'm no scout) but I just don't see it.

If a RB was the plan in the first round it would have been Chris Johnson not Mendenhall.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SR, why Talib and not Mendenhall???? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools