Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SR, why Talib and not Mendenhall???? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 14 15 16

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#225 : April 23, 2009, 11:07:01 AM

Just goes to show you that none of us know what the hell we're talking about.

Huh?

For starters Sunny D just picked himself up some Super Pewter Bucs.

With all due respect to SunnyD, blind squirrels find nuts, too. Hey, I'm including myself in this stuff. Sorry, don't mean to ruffle the feathers of the "draftniks" who live and breathe this stuff. Hell, look at Mel Kiper's record...its not to glowing. Mayock is the man but he went out on a very big limb on Robert Ayers...it'll be interesting to see if he's right.

As for us...unless you have scouted these players yourself or seen hours of coaches film (or at least something more than you tube highlights), you have no idea what you're talking about. Watching a couple of games the dude played in on TV doesn't really show you much. I remember watching some Fresno State games when Trent Dilfer just tore apart the competition...what he have in Tampa like two 300 yd passing days?

You have to truly study these individuals to really know what you're looking at - like Scott does - and even he isn't perfect - no one is. This is Kiper's life....and he misses more than the Detroit Lions.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#226 : April 23, 2009, 11:20:57 AM

Want me to bump the DeSean Jackson threads too?

Keep in mind Scott doesn't watch coaches film or press-box film.

He watches the games on cable and ESPN just like I and everyone else does.

Mayock has access to that stuff because he works for the NFL, so thats why we should value his opinion.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#227 : April 23, 2009, 11:29:45 AM

Want me to bump the DeSean Jackson threads too?

Keep in mind Scott doesn't watch coaches film or press-box film.

He watches the games on cable and ESPN just like I and everyone else does.

Mayock has access to that stuff because he works for the NFL, so thats why we should value his opinion.

Like I said Sunny, I don't mean to ruffle your feathers or anything. I honestly have no idea how much work you put into your draft stuff and would never denigrate what you do. BTW, I had nothing to do with your old thread being bumped. I was just commenting on the discussion here.

All I'm saying that even if you put hours in watching games - its still doesn't tell you enough about the player. Sure, you'll likely have more insight than many of us who have better things to do with our lives and I definitely respect that...but in the end - you're still talking about stuff you don't and couldn't possibly know about. In the end, its just an educated guess. Don't be upset - there's scouts who go see these guys in person, study game tape, know what the kid did in high school and still end up making bad choices.

As for Scott...I know he studies game tape - but I could have sworn I saw him mention in one of his columns that he had some chances to look at coaches film, too. I could be wrong and I'm sure he'll come on and correct it.

I guess my point (and I do have one) in general for everyone is if the Bucs pick a guy you don't like...don't freak out about it. You never know how the guy is going to turn out and none of us really know what we're talking about - we're just making guesses on the little info we have.

Madman

Hall of Famer

#228 : April 23, 2009, 11:34:39 AM

Let's not forget the outrage about taking Talib OVER Mike Jenkins.

Yeah, love when the old threads get bumped. Always some good reading.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#229 : April 23, 2009, 11:39:28 AM

http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?topic=36683.msg775412;topicseen#msg775412

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#230 : April 23, 2009, 04:11:37 PM

Just goes to show you that none of us know what the hell we're talking about.

Huh?

For starters Sunny D just picked himself up some Super Pewter Bucs.

With all due respect to SunnyD, blind squirrels find nuts, too. Hey, I'm including myself in this stuff. Sorry, don't mean to ruffle the feathers of the "draftniks" who live and breathe this stuff. Hell, look at Mel Kiper's record...its not to glowing. Mayock is the man but he went out on a very big limb on Robert Ayers...it'll be interesting to see if he's right.

As for us...unless you have scouted these players yourself or seen hours of coaches film (or at least something more than you tube highlights), you have no idea what you're talking about. Watching a couple of games the dude played in on TV doesn't really show you much. I remember watching some Fresno State games when Trent Dilfer just tore apart the competition...what he have in Tampa like two 300 yd passing days?

You have to truly study these individuals to really know what you're looking at - like Scott does - and even he isn't perfect - no one is. This is Kiper's life....and he misses more than the Detroit Lions.

If you're going to try and pick the whole draft so you speak, then you're going to be talking out your arse a large portion of the time.  But if you were FSUw fan and watched Dilfer his whole career there you ought to have a decent take.

The kipers and such, that's an impossible job. You can't be that good at what they try to do because you simply can not watch enough film or get enough personal info on that many players.

Just don't try to be an expert on every pick. Even the best teams only have a handful of guys drafted a year. If you're watching that team you ought to have a pretty solid take on those five guys.

Plus this whole thing is still a bit premature. It's just the one year update.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#231 : April 23, 2009, 04:21:39 PM

I was enthused about Talib.

Was enthused about Dex Jax.

I was enthused because the recent second round picks were pretty good.

BUt Talib was a straight up baller in college.  In rotation this year, he proved it.

I expect him to get burned more this season, because they will be going man to man from time to time.

I think Jackson gets cut this year.  It is not Dominiks problem, nor is it Raheems.  Time to cut dead weight...

But we'll see what Ms. Jackson has to say about it.

Page: 1 ... 14 15 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SR, why Talib and not Mendenhall???? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools