Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brady Quinn, the most overrated QB in NCAA history? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#30 : December 13, 2006, 06:54:40 AM

Quinn overated? Come on here, he is by far the best QB prospect in this draft. Has all the tools.

If statements like that had ANY validity whatsoever Rob Johnson and Ryan Leaf would be fighting for their 3rd MVP by now, while Peyton Manning was winning his 4th consecutive superbowl. It's a shame it doesn't work that way, but I guess that's why GM's get paid the big bucks (to make horrible decisions like drafting Brady Quinn 1st overall or something).

If there's one thing people NEVER seem to get about athletes is the incredible importance your BRAIN has on your play especially at the QB position. Theres a damn good reason why Joe Montana went in the 3rd round, and Dan Marino was the 4th/5th quarterback taken in his draft, because people have a very shortsighted view of what you need to be a great QB.

We talk about how important it is that Quinn is being coached by Charlie Weiss, but please...does someone want to tell me who Jerry Rice's college receivers coach was? (or what school he went to for that matter) Howabout all the "great" 1st Rd QB's Jeff Tedford has coached to the NFL. The bottom line is, coaching will only help you DISCOVER what you have, it wont make you a great player if you dont have that ability (and by ability I mean brain power more so than throwing power or a 40 time).

Who wants to tell me the best NFL QB to ever come out of Florida State....howabout Brad Johnson who was a backup for almost all of his college career there...doesnt look like the lack of college game experience or coaching hurt him too much in the pro's as he's in his 15th year. Or just how successfull Eli Manning has been in the NFL despite his world class genes (who in my opinion IS the most overrated college QB ever).

What makes you think Quinn doesn't have any brains?  Or Russell either for that matter?  Quinn has only thrown 5 picks all season and I believe Russell is at about the same number.  Just because a guy has all the measurables doesn't mean he doesn't also have the brain.

devasher

Starter
#31 : December 13, 2006, 06:23:38 PM

Just to make sure I'm talking about 'wiring', not IQ or intelligence for that matter. There are a lot of intelligent QB's that have failed miserably, despite their wonderlic scores(or even college statistics; Wuerffel and Klingler come to mind). When you talk about a great player verses an average player the thing that stands out is their desire to be great moreso than purely athletic gifts, and that desire comes from who you are personality wise.

I'm not saying I think Quinn will fail miserably, but I am saying that this "Look who coaches him!" crap does not make the man, and neither do 'tools'.  Quinn was the front-runner to win the Heisman going into this year, at the time Notre Dame was the 2nd ranked team in the nation....Quinn came in 3rd but given we're talking about a 'number one overall pick player' I would rather my number one overall pick be someone who can rise to the challenge, and I dont think coming behind a previously unknown RB from Arkansas in the Heisman race and letting Troy Smith run away with it when you have so much hype already built up constitutes that.   

I personally think Quinn is a 1st round pick...just not a top pick. And I never said anything about Russell, he's obviously a talented player but I'm not going to make statements about him being overrated because he hasn't declared and thus hasn't been rated on the same level Quinn has.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 13, 2006, 06:57:25 PM

Just to make sure I'm talking about 'wiring', not IQ or intelligence for that matter. There are a lot of intelligent QB's that have failed miserably, despite their wonderlic scores(or even college statistics; Wuerffel and Klingler come to mind). When you talk about a great player verses an average player the thing that stands out is their desire to be great moreso than purely athletic gifts, and that desire comes from who you are personality wise.

I'm not saying I think Quinn will fail miserably, but I am saying that this "Look who coaches him!" crap does not make the man, and neither do 'tools'.  Quinn was the front-runner to win the Heisman going into this year, at the time Notre Dame was the 2nd ranked team in the nation....Quinn came in 3rd but given we're talking about a 'number one overall pick player' I would rather my number one overall pick be someone who can rise to the challenge, and I dont think coming behind a previously unknown RB from Arkansas in the Heisman race and letting Troy Smith run away with it when you have so much hype already built up constitutes that.   

I personally think Quinn is a 1st round pick...just not a top pick. And I never said anything about Russell, he's obviously a talented player but I'm not going to make statements about him being overrated because he hasn't declared and thus hasn't been rated on the same level Quinn has.

You picked two guys with the brains and wonderlic scores, but no tools.  Both of those guys had limp noodle arms.  You can't compare them in any way to Quinn.  And not winning the Heisman is not stepping up?  Heismans are't exactly an exact measurement.  Wuerfel won one, Manning and Brady didn't.  Heismans are just as much about team play as they are individual play.  Quinn's team lost twice while Smith's didn't.  It has no bearing on NFL success.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 13, 2006, 06:58:46 PM

Andre Ware was the most overrated.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 13, 2006, 06:59:06 PM

Brohm will have the best pro career of all of them.

IF he stays healthy I can see it.  But easier said then done unfortunately.

Bucnation619

Second String

#35 : December 13, 2006, 09:15:54 PM

Brady Quinn is BBBBBAAAALLLLIIINNNN !! +)

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brady Quinn, the most overrated QB in NCAA history? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools