Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Good morning, Gruden haters! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: October 09, 2006, 01:48:59 PM

I see you've finally arisen from your slumber.  I just find it incredily odd that after the second straight solid offensive performance, games that we led with less than 5 minutes to go, you guys are choosing this moment to worm your way out of the woodwork.

This season has been what it has been.  No one could have predicted that Simms would play as he did.  Certainly no one predicted that we would be one of the worst defenses in the league.

Against the Panthers, we fell one play short of a win.  We could not stop Delhomme.  We could not intercept the ball.  These plays are plays that we've been making for a decade to close things out.  Not any more.

We're allowing 160 yards a game on the ground!  You expect to win like that?

Despite injuries to our starting RT, our QB and both starting G, Gruden just put together an effective gameplan and called a great game.  His side of things (the O), despite all the adversity, played well enough to win.  Our D did not.

G-Kow will have his ups and downs.  The OL is improving.  We have the personnel and (it's clear) the plays to be effective on offense now.  The D just needs to be addressed.  If the Defense was playing like they used to, we'd be AT LEAST 2-2 right now, if not 3-1.

We need to get the defense moving in the right direction, but let me just say this:

Stop calling for Gruden's head.  Stop telling me what a bad playcaller he is.  Stop doing crazy stuff like telling me that Kiffin should be head coach.

It makes you sound uninformed and of poor knowledge.

Take it sleazy, boys and girls.

BucsFan1976

Practice Squad
#1 : October 09, 2006, 01:51:56 PM

Not all criticism of Gruden is "hating", but I agree that it is too soon to see him fired.

#2 : October 09, 2006, 01:54:24 PM

Not all criticism of Gruden is "hating", but I agree that it is too soon to see him fired.

I agree.  If you have a criticism, voice it.  That's what this board is all about.  But some of the stuff that people are saying is ridiculous.  I'm trying to bring a bit of balance.

BucsFan1976

Practice Squad
#3 : October 09, 2006, 01:59:26 PM

I agree.  If you have a criticism, voice it.  That's what this board is all about.  But some of the stuff that people are saying is ridiculous.  I'm trying to bring a bit of balance.

Fair enough.

#4 : October 09, 2006, 02:00:52 PM

0-4.....there's nothing else to say. No one ges whacked bad every game in the NFL and close never counts. His job is to win football games and he's not doing it right now. That means he gets and deserves criticism becuase when he wins if you want to give him credit you also have to hand out blame.

I agree.  It's just that there is no even keel amongst the boarders today.  Totally killing my buzz.  ;)

I think Gruden is absolutely worthy of criticism.  It just seems that many people were not watching the same game I saw.  I feel the game was masterfully coached and playcalled by Gruden.  He does indeed bear the responsability for our record, but the streak of bad luck we've had makes it more of a testament to the job he does that he has kept us in these last two games.  I mean, injuries up and down the OL, a missing spleen, rookie QB.  Even with all of this, it took an offensive pass interference to derail our final drive, which could have been a game winner.

I would've been much more critical of Gruden after the Atlanta and Carolina games than this one.  We went on the road with a rookie QB and RT and lost because we couldn't tackle Deuce or Reg.  This one is not on the O and it's not on the OC.  It's on the D and the DC.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#5 : October 09, 2006, 02:06:30 PM

No one could have predicted that Simms would play as he did.  Certainly no one predicted that we would be one of the worst defenses in the league.

Isn't that what Gruden gets paid to do? Isn't his job to recognize these things and fix them? I hope Jon Gruden retires a Buccaneer head coach at the ripe old age of 65.....but he needs to change his ways, because his current ways have gotten us a 23-29 record since 2002.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 09, 2006, 02:08:47 PM

Beniro, if Gruden was just our offensive coordinator, then I would agree, but he ain't in Green Bay anymore is he?!  He is the head coach and the guy is responsible for the entire team, not just the offense. 
LET ME REPEAT THIS FOR EVERYONE:  JON GRUDEN IS THE HEAD COACH OF THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUES TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS!  HE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ENTIRE TEAM AND COACHING STAFF!  REPEAT THIS OVER AND OVER UNTIL IT SINKS IN YOUR HEAD! 

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 09, 2006, 02:10:44 PM

Despite injuries to our starting RT, our QB and both starting G, Gruden just put together an effective gameplan and called a great game. His side of things (the O), despite all the adversity, played well enough to win. Our D did not.

I agree 100%. Defense's fault, yet again.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

Ironphister

Second String

#8 : October 09, 2006, 02:13:53 PM

when gruden puts a helmet on and misses blocks, can't tackle, and doesn't execute the game plan - then i'll call for his head.  the guy knows X's and O's like nobody's business.  he is committed and puts in the time.  he wears out the couch, albeit a nicer couch now, at the practice facility.

gimme a break, he's a young and aggressive guy that is working his a$$ off and getting out talented at this point.  after we fire him and the next coach reaps the benefits of this group maturing are we gonna call them "gruden's team"?

will the knowledgable fan base please stand up?

change for the sake of change is pointless.  someone take a look at Philly and realize what injuries and young players look like from year to year with a good coaching philosophy and patience.

are we really looking to change jockey's in the middle of this race?

#9 : October 09, 2006, 02:23:00 PM

Isn't that what Gruden gets paid to do? Isn't his job to recognize these things and fix them? I hope Jon Gruden retires a Buccaneer head coach at the ripe old age of 65.....but he needs to change his ways, because his current ways have gotten us a 23-29 record since 2002.

See, I agree with you here.  Let me repeat what my key points were:

Stop calling for Gruden's head.  Stop telling me what a bad playcaller he is.  Stop doing crazy stuff like telling me that Kiffin should be head coach.

If you want to criticize a particular call, fine.  Go for it.  I just dislike the over-0arching stuff.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 09, 2006, 02:23:46 PM

Ironphister, if we can replace Dungy after he consistently kept his team in the playoffs, then is too far of a stretch to at least put pressure on this guy to win with the record he has posted during his tenure?  I get so tired of hearing about how much this guy works!  You can milk a cow the entire, but the bucket better be full at the end.  The bucket has leaks and it's called leadership, arrogance, and an unwillingness to change.  The proof is in the pudding.

Ironphister

Second String

#11 : October 09, 2006, 02:34:01 PM

before Dungy and since Dungy - add up the rings:  Gruden 1,  Dungy 0 (with arguably the best offense ever under his control).  You think Pitt wins the SB last year if they fire Cowher after year six or seven of his tenure?  Why didn't Reid get canned when Philly came last in the NFC East a year ago?

you're shooting where there ain't a target.  he'd be out of a job for 10 minutes tops.  it's one thing if the cow has mastitis, won't drink water, or suffers a twisted stomach - our herd isn't exactly full speed so don't shoot the farmer.

unwillingness to change?  to what?  what are you after?  losing with a quarterback in shotgun vs. taking the snap directly is still a loss. 

until the line gets better - even better than we all think it needs to be (they need to aspire to "dominant", not just "better"), this team will be beatable.  we need to go after parts that fix the problems in the trenches and then let them mature or gel or whatever - but that is where we lose games - the point of attack.

stuffed runs on offense kill drives, and getting gashed by everyone's running game are the root cause of alot of issues we are enduring.  fix those things first and we get better in a hurry.

in my opinion, if anyone needs to consider change - it's Monte and admitting bringing 4 ain't good enough anymore...

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#12 : October 09, 2006, 02:53:14 PM

I agree 100%. Defense's fault, yet again.

agreed here as well!

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

#13 : October 09, 2006, 03:00:40 PM

Let’s not forget the coaching changes that took place in the off season, if you think that doesn’t have an affect on a team then you’re sadly mistaken.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 09, 2006, 03:01:51 PM

You can milk a cow the entire, but the bucket better be full at the end.

What are you saying?  I like adages more than most but this makes no sense.  I presume this is your continued rant about Gruden and the results so far this season.  

Want to look for a reason other than Gruden - look at the Olines injury list and games missed.  

If you want an explanation for the D's woes, I think you will find Gruden and the staff mystified.  I am as well.  Players's age could be a part of it, but these guys have fallen too far too fast.  Frankly I don't think anyone has a answer to the underperforming D when all but one starter is back.  

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Good morning, Gruden haters! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools