Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No playoff system on the horizon « previous next »
Page: 1 2

LFO

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 02, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

One "plus" of a CCG is at least it allows your champion to be determined on a neutral field.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#16 : May 03, 2008, 07:54:31 PM

thats 4 postseason games...on top a 11-12 regular season schedule?

I think the 12 th game should be dropped..   put in an extra bye week.  Conf championship games ..  the 1st or 2nd weekend of Dec the 4 quarterfinals would occur.

winners go on to the semifinals   Actually the losers could still go to a New Years bowl

It essentially  the Plus one already suggested with the 4 quarterfinals determining the semi finalists.

The less arriving by vote the better..  Only 2 would be at large entries.  Georgia would have made it and probably Kansas

Even with the 12 th game this could have worked last year Starting on Dec 14th

Ohio State,  USC,  LSU ,VT, WV, Oklahoma (Georgia and Kansas) (at large)

BCS rankings determine who gets to host.  With any at large never eligible to host.

1st round   Ohio State vs Georgia at Columbus 
                 LSU vs Kansas at LSU   
                  VT vs WV at VT       
                Oklahoma vs USC at Oklahoma

LFO

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 03, 2008, 09:38:05 PM

So we would have had Georgia, LSU, VT, and USC.....probably a UGA vs. LSU title game.

Me like.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 05, 2008, 12:03:27 PM

So we would have had Georgia, LSU, VT, and USC.....probably a UGA vs. LSU title game.

Me like.

That makes WAY too much sense.  Which is why the NCAA won't step in and do anything about it.

ranman

Pro Bowler
#19 : May 05, 2008, 01:18:02 PM

One other thought.

You have a job which is to make sure that eleven schools in your conference have the most profitable viable sports programs.  You have eleven "bosses" who remind you daily of your job.  It isn't easy since most of the programs run at a net loss. 

You and one other gentleman, who has similar position, have negotiated with one bowl/ network a monster agreement.  One that pays you the same as the national championship game.  Your odds are guaranteed.  Your bosses are estactic!  Life is good.

Why would you gamble pissing off your bosses/ network just so other gentlemen - and their conferences - can have as good of payout as you?

That to me is the predicament the P/B 10 commissioners are in.  While they should listen to their fan base, at the end of the day it is all about the profitability of those teams. 

Until, the BCS finds the network who is willing to outspend the Rose/ESPN on their payouts by a large margin, there will never be a college playoff system in D1.  If you have the role of the personnel above you would never move out of your current environment - until someone came along with something MUCH more profitable. 

If you don't believe me, I only suggest the B10 network.  The payouts from ESPN were watered down to accomodate other conferences, hence the commissioner went after another source of profitability. 

Snook

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 08, 2008, 01:44:39 PM

It isn't easy since most of the programs run at a net loss. 

And there's the problem.  Its funny how most programs DO run at a net loss.... YET the NCAA rakes in million. 

Doesn't seem right, does it?

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No playoff system on the horizon « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools