Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Has Bucs Draft Philosphy Changed? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 12

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

: May 04, 2008, 02:52:00 PM

After watching the debacle that was the Bucs Draft this year I have to ask. Has the Bucs draft Philosphy changed from a Best Player Available to  Need Based. You have to wonder. I kept scratching my head pick after pick. The BPA approach is what made this team so good for so many years. Example:

1st round this year- BPA selection should have been either Rashard Mendenhall or Devin Thomas. Need pick should have been Aqib Talib or Mike Jenkins

2nd Round- BPA selection should have been Terrence Wheatley, Patrick Lee, Terrell Thomas or Chevis Jackson. Need pick based on 1st round selection and the run of 10 WR was Dexter Jackson or Early Doucet. Not a great selection of WR left.

3rd round- BPA selection could be argued here. Zuttah was BPA but the selection should have been Marcus Harrison.

4th Round- BPA selection John David Booty or Xavier Adibi. Need based pick based on 1st and 3rd round selection screw-ups, Dre Moore. Moore was actually the 1st pick I liked in this draft.

5th round- BPA available- John Sullivan. Need pick because Gruden is Gruden, Josh Johnson.

What could have been for the Bucs had Bruce Allen not gambled on one of the really good WR falling to them in the 2nd round. Unfortunately we Bucs fans have to live with the mistakes our teams coaches and GM make.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 04, 2008, 02:59:21 PM

Everyone's an expert.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 04, 2008, 03:00:12 PM

What we as fans think is the BPA might not be who the team feels is the best player on the board at the time. Drafting is not an exact science

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 04, 2008, 03:00:22 PM

Has the Bucs draft Philosphy changed from a Best Player Available to  Need Based

Bucs draft philosophy hasn't really been best available player.  This year only confirms that they draft based on needs (immediate or near future).  

Only time Bucs have drafted best available in recent years has been the late rounds but that could be said of all teams.  Then again the Jenkins vs Anderson debacle is an example of need vs BAP and they chose the need over BAP  in the fifth round.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 04, 2008, 03:03:16 PM

lol @ bucko saying Devin thomas was the best WR hahahahahhaha ... donnie avery was buddy.  donnie freaking avery. get it str8.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 04, 2008, 03:04:21 PM

Most rankings of players is subject of the team drafting and the current schemes each team runs, some players just dont fit certain schemes

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 04, 2008, 03:10:36 PM

lol @ bucko saying Devin thomas was the best WR hahahahahhaha ... donnie avery was buddy. donnie freaking avery. get it str8.

Yeah he was taken 1st but that doesn't make him the best WR. You see him at the Senior Bowl practices and game. He must of dropped like a dozen passes. Then at the combine he was better but he reminded me to much of Reidel Anthony with the occasional drop when it hit him in the hands. I would have prefered Thomas or James Hardy. Even Rashard Mendenhall would have been a better selection for the Bucs offense.

The Bucs offense needed playmakers and they got none in the draft. We all saw what happened in the latter part of the season and playoffs when Joey Galloway sat or was out with injury.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 04, 2008, 03:24:32 PM

ok your obviously not a pewter insider... donnie avery was the # 1 WR on the bucs board.  and obviously many other teams. so how are you going to say he wasnt the best?  even bruce allen said after the draft that alot of the teams had about the same draft board as them.

so you have never interviewed him or extensivly watched his game film, you just saw him drop some passes and said he sucks?  you obviously have no clue.

i suggest you get Pewter insider ASAP so you can learn more about football and your bucs.  and not make a not so smart thread such as this.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 04, 2008, 03:30:16 PM

aqib talib is a playmaker.  dexter jackson will get the ball in his hands every game fielding kicks and punts (which is a huge deal)  zuttah isnt a fancy playmaker but is very versatile.  dre moore the bucs traded up to get, if he can get to the QB consistenly that is a playmaker.

so what were you saying about not having any playmakers?

play makers arnt just offensive.  they are special teams, splash plays on D. pressure up front. and being able to give your qb time to make a big play and be a playmaker all over the offense and let your qb get it to his playmakers.

just because we as fans think they needed a huge trade for a WR or more WR playmakers ni the draft, does not mean the team thinks that.  after this draft you can tell the the bucs were pretty comfortable with the WR acqustions they made, and with the skill of their WRs.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 04, 2008, 03:39:31 PM

aqib talib is a playmaker. dexter jackson will get the ball in his hands every game fielding kicks and punts (which is a huge deal) zuttah isnt a fancy playmaker but is very versatile. dre moore the bucs traded up to get, if he can get to the QB consistenly that is a playmaker.

play makers arnt just offensive. they are special teams, splash plays on D. pressure up front. and being able to give your qb time to make a big play and be a playmaker all over the offense and let your qb get it to his playmakers.

just because we as fans think they needed a huge trade for a WR or more WR playmakers ni the draft, does not mean the team thinks that. after this draft you can tell the the bucs were pretty comfortable with the WR acqustions they made, and with the skill of their WRs.

Playmakers on offense. I am not arguing talib playmaking ability. I am arguing what effect Talibs selection had on the Bucs remaining draft. Devin Thomas or james Hardy or even Donnie Avery to some extent would have given the Bucs better insurance in the event that Galloway gets hurt. Dexter Jackson does not give the Bucs offense that option.

There would have been better options out there had  the Bucs not taken Talib in the 1st is all I'm saying.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 04, 2008, 03:46:54 PM

ok your obviously not a pewter insider... donnie avery was the # 1 WR on the bucs board. and obviously many other teams. so how are you going to say he wasnt the best? even bruce allen said after the draft that alot of the teams had about the same draft board as them.

so you have never interviewed him or extensivly watched his game film, you just saw him drop some passes and said he sucks? you obviously have no clue.

i suggest you get Pewter insider ASAP so you can learn more about football and your bucs. and not make a not so smart thread such as this.

According to Pewter Report. We will never know who the Bucs had on top of there WR list now will we. Wow and how would Bruce Allen know that? Do you honestly think that other teams shared there Draft board with Bruce?. Don't be naive. You take what everything Bruce says as gospel. Of course Bruce is going to say that. He has to try and justify his mistake.

Oh and for the record i am and have been a pewter insider for many years.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 04, 2008, 03:47:40 PM

aqib talib is a playmaker. dexter jackson will get the ball in his hands every game fielding kicks and punts (which is a huge deal) zuttah isnt a fancy playmaker but is very versatile. dre moore the bucs traded up to get, if he can get to the QB consistenly that is a playmaker.

play makers arnt just offensive. they are special teams, splash plays on D. pressure up front. and being able to give your qb time to make a big play and be a playmaker all over the offense and let your qb get it to his playmakers.

just because we as fans think they needed a huge trade for a WR or more WR playmakers ni the draft, does not mean the team thinks that. after this draft you can tell the the bucs were pretty comfortable with the WR acqustions they made, and with the skill of their WRs.

Playmakers on offense. I am not arguing talib playmaking ability. I am arguing what effect Talibs selection had on the Bucs remaining draft. Devin Thomas or james Hardy or even Donnie Avery to some extent would have given the Bucs better insurance in the event that Galloway gets hurt. Dexter Jackson does not give the Bucs offense that option.

There would have been better options out there had the Bucs not taken Talib in the 1st is all I'm saying.

Better how? If we had taken Limas Sweed or Devin Thomas or Donnie Avery they still wouldn't see the field much. Except on ST's. That's why Dexter is as good or better than those mentioned. All or none may turn out to be Pro Bowl caliber. Who knows?

But if Dexter Jackson turns into a productive PR/KR he'll contribute right away. Anything else recieving wise would be straight gravy.

I think the Bucs are going to give all these WR's (Clayton, Stovall, Warren, Bryant) a chance, a last chance for some, to get it done. Or they blow it up next year and start again.

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#12 : May 04, 2008, 03:53:32 PM

lol get a life dude. this draft was awesome. quit crying

Yea, what he said.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#13 : May 04, 2008, 04:22:04 PM

After watching the debacle that was the Bucs Draft this year I have to ask. Has the Bucs draft Philosphy changed from a Best Player Available to  Need Based. You have to wonder. I kept scratching my head pick after pick. The BPA approach is what made this team so good for so many years. Example:

1st round this year- BPA selection should have been either Rashard Mendenhall or Devin Thomas. Need pick should have been Aqib Talib or Mike Jenkins

Rather than go through the picks step by step we can stop right here. Many draft sites had Talib ranked higher than Mendenhall as a draft prospect and no WR's were given first round grades by a lot of them. So based on this I'd say the Bucs went BPA who fit into their system. You're premise is incorrect right from round one. I don't agree with all of the picks however we'll see how it all works out. To claim it's a "debacle" or for that matter "great" are equally premature at this stage.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 04, 2008, 04:41:45 PM

2nd Round- BPA selection should have been Terrence Wheatley, Patrick Lee, Terrell Thomas or Chevis Jackson. Need pick based on 1st round selection and the run of 10 WR was Dexter Jackson or Early Doucet. Not a great selection of WR left.

3rd round- BPA selection could be argued here. Zuttah was BPA but the selection should have been Marcus Harrison.

4th Round- BPA selection John David Booty or Xavier Adibi. Need based pick based on 1st and 3rd round selection screw-ups, Dre Moore. Moore was actually the 1st pick I liked in this draft.

5th round- BPA available- John Sullivan. Need pick because Gruden is Gruden, Josh Johnson.

What could have been for the Bucs had Bruce Allen not gambled on one of the really good WR falling to them in the 2nd round. Unfortunately we Bucs fans have to live with the mistakes our teams coaches and GM make.

BPA based on who YOU think was BPA. 

What team do you work for again and what are your qualifications for judging who is the BPA?
Page: 1 2 3 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Has Bucs Draft Philosphy Changed? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools