Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jon Gruden, offensive genius « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#15 : December 11, 2006, 07:46:14 PM

Well Dungy has put the Colts top 10 in defense in 2 of his 4 seasons as head coach.

Another lie from the beast--- he has had them 18, 11, 29, 11--- keep fishing you are bound to get one right sooner or later-- even a blind squirrel finds.........

#16 : December 11, 2006, 07:48:26 PM

Well Dungy has put the Colts top 10 in defense in 2 of his 4 seasons as head coach.

Another lie from the beast--- he has had them 18, 11, 29, 11--- keep fishing you are bound to get one right sooner or later-- even a blind squirrel finds.........
zing, you're on a roll

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#17 : December 11, 2006, 08:25:57 PM

Hmm offensive genius?
2002- 24th ranked offense (Mulligan we won the superbowl)
2003- 10t ranked offense (Here I thought we were getting ready to get it going)
2004- 22nd ranked offense (Ok, time to weed out Dungy's guys and get Grudens guys in here)
2005 23rd ranked offense (Hmm most Gruden guys in here and yet we are still worse BUT we made the playoffs)
2006- 31st ranked offense (Now we have HIS guys, no excuses)
The offense is only getting worse.. heck this year we are even worse than any Tony Dungy led offense.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#18 : December 12, 2006, 12:30:41 AM

And yet with that and the all mighty Peyton, the Colts still haven't gotten past the AFC championship game.

Also, Martyball seems to be outscoring alot of teams lately. Alot of teams meaning everyone else in the NFL. But yes, its hard to watch the team getting into scoring range and never actually getting a TD from it.
it's not Martyball..it's LT....you put him on any team they're offense gets better in a snap.
Not Phillip Rivers??

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 12, 2006, 12:36:50 AM

LT has outscored the Buccaneers. By himself.

PS- It kills me to start another complaining thread. I really hate these and it's hypocritical to post it. But I hear this stat and couldn't resist. It's ridiculous.

Dalbuc brought up the fact that LDThas outscored more than 17 teams by himself.  So really, that stat is pretty innocuous.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 12, 2006, 12:40:03 AM

And what's your point? Is there one doggone point here that hasn't been rehashed over and over and over? ONE!!???!!!
No, of course not. So why bring it up? I tell you why. The Gruden haters have it as their mission to ANNOY the heck out of those who once supported Gruden. We all see the failure. What do you want us to do, cry?
The term ''genius'' was used by a very small group of writers or fans. Even after we won, nobody thought that way. He did a wonderful job vs. Philly, even better job vs. Oakland. But genius? No, just a great young coach. So why piss all over any of us who enjoyed it and wanted to celebrate the guy?
I'll tell you why. Because some resented Dungy's ouster. Some wanted to see him fail as if to make things right with Dungy.
Well, I sat in the cold in Philadelphia those two years we were humiliated in 2000 and 2001. Contrary to the myths spread here, we were FAVORED the first year. I can give you a link to a pre-game preview if you disbelieve. We were the veteran team in 2000 and Philly was the new guy on the block and they HUMILIATED us. A whole year of living with that and we lost even WORSE the next year. And voila, Dungy was gone.
Yeah, he made the playoffs three of four years. Yeah, he built most of what we had up, along with McKay. But the team that left the field in Philadelphia after a 31-9 slaparound in the 2001 playoffs didn't resemble a Super Bowl champion in any way. Gruden brought in some good players, brought in new energy, got some luck (see Green Bay's injuries, McNabb's injury), a little help (Jets over Packers, NE over Miami) and won the whole thing.
So what's it mean now? We paid the piper for all those picks given up, all the cap space sacrificed both ahead of time (Gramatica, Rice, etc.), in an attempt to bounce back unwisely (Deese, Stinchcomb, Garner, etc.) and now have been unlucky to boot.
Gruden has seen every ounce of dignity stripped away and we are a joke again. Happy? Enjoy his failure?
A real fan is thankful to Dungy for his part, thankful to Jon for his part, thankful (even beyond the anger) to McKay too. But they don't rub salt in the wounds of their Buccaneer brethren. It's gonna be a long road back. It might take MANY years. We will either engross ourselves in self-pity and self-loathing or climb out of this thing and find glory again.
I choose glory.

In Verner We Trust

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 12, 2006, 12:40:57 AM

Innocuous? Jeez, is that the first time that word has ever been used on this board?

In Verner We Trust

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 12, 2006, 12:47:00 AM

Innocuous? Jeez, is that the first time that word has ever been used on this board?
innocuous ih-NOK-yoo-uhs, adjective:
1. Harmless; producing no ill effect.
2. Not likely to offend or provoke; as, "an innocuous remark."

Sorry man.  I get carried away some times...

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#23 : December 12, 2006, 12:48:31 AM

Definately!

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#24 : December 12, 2006, 01:02:45 AM

Well, we can't win games. But we could beat em Jeopardy!

In Verner We Trust

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#25 : December 12, 2006, 08:32:03 AM

2002 - Brad was good, Pro Bowler.  Super Bowl!
2003 - Brad ok.  Team ok with at least two freak losses (Carolina blocked XP and Indy) 7-9
2004 - Brad noodle arm, Simms hurt, Griese too many INT's for TD's .  5-11
2005 - Griese ok then hurt, Simms terrible then ok  11-5
2006 - Simms awful then hurt.  6th round rookie from Toledo playing about as expected.  3-13

Common thread?  Gruden needs the right QB to run his offense and only 2 of 5 years did he have continuity at the position.

#26 : December 12, 2006, 09:05:11 AM

I think the usage of this word can only be seen as a serendipitous expansion of the board vocabulary.

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#27 : December 12, 2006, 10:40:35 AM

Hmm offensive genius?
2002- 24th ranked offense (Mulligan we won the superbowl)
2003- 10t ranked offense (Here I thought we were getting ready to get it going)
2004- 22nd ranked offense (Ok, time to weed out Dungy's guys and get Grudens guys in here)
2005 23rd ranked offense (Hmm most Gruden guys in here and yet we are still worse BUT we made the playoffs)
2006- 31st ranked offense (Now we have HIS guys, no excuses)
The offense is only getting worse.. heck this year we are even worse than any Tony Dungy led offense.
Nice post, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#28 : December 12, 2006, 10:58:59 AM

2002 - Brad was good, Pro Bowler.  Super Bowl!
2003 - Brad ok.  Team ok with at least two freak losses (Carolina blocked XP and Indy) 7-9
2004 - Brad noodle arm, Simms hurt, Griese too many INT's for TD's .  5-11
2005 - Griese ok then hurt, Simms terrible then ok  11-5
2006 - Simms awful then hurt.  6th round rookie from Toledo playing about as expected.  3-13

Common thread?  Gruden needs the right QB to run his offense and only 2 of 5 years did he have continuity at the position.

To me it seems like QB's gradually get worse under Gruden with the Bucs. Brad Johnson had a great 1st year with Gruden, the next year he put up numbers but had way too many turnovers, and then next year he was benched. Griese had a great 1st year, then too many turnovers the next year. Simms had a decent first year, then too many turnovers the next. It seems like QB's are at their best with Gruden when he first works with them, then maybe he opens up the playbook before they are ready and they make mistakes.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 12, 2006, 11:04:13 AM

The ranks are - you'll get variance from some places in how they figure yards, some sites don't subtract sack yardage for instance:

3 of 5 years he's been above average with no good draft picks, cap hell and no money for FA's. Excuses that should sound familiar.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jon Gruden, offensive genius « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools