Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Troupe making huge impression off the field « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: May 06, 2008, 11:10:08 AM

Ben Troupe is no longer running pass routes for the Titans, but the tight end is still making an impact in Tennessee.

The former Titan, now with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, captivated an audience of fifth-graders at Mitchell Nelison Elementary School Monday.

Troupe's message was simple — "respect your teacher and tell your parents to respect your teacher."

"I remember all of my teachers," Troupe told the fifth-grade class of Kelly Jones. "This person is the one trying to help you. I go to class every day, and I wouldn't be in the National Football League without my teachers."

Jones filled out a response card through Young Minds Inspired, which offers educational curriculums through pro players' cards.

"They sent us the materials and we use lesson plans with them," Jones said. "They are really good lessons plans. I'm not really sure how I won, I just filled out a response, they drew a lot of names and Ben Troupe came to speak to us.

"The kids really enjoyed it. Fortunately, I haven't had problems with parents, but he had a great message."

Troupe said speaking with children on a regular basis is a great way to give back to his community. He spent more than an hour with Jones' class Monday morning.

"I do things like this on my own all the time," he said. "It's not community service. I'm an athlete and I've been blessed, and I think it's my obligation to give back.

"What I told the kids is from the heart. Teachers are so important, and children need to understand that they need teachers."

Troupe held a question-answer session and fielded such topics as "Are you voting for Obama or Clinton?," to "Have you ever had a tooth knocked out?"

"I think he's like a rock. Nobody can tackle him," said student Kirsten McIntyre. "I learned to respectful to all teachers and adults and everybody I know."

Added student Tyler Black: "You have to respect people and learn how to get along with people, and get through school and make good grades."

Troupe said his mother was a huge influence as far making education a priority.

"My alphabet was only A and B," he said. "I never even thought about an F. I didn't make my first decision until I was 17 years old. My mother made them for me.

"I went to the University of Florida and graduated in four years. ... There is nothing wrong with making As."

Troupe personally signed an autograph for each student, but then gave them to Jones.

"Your assignment is to go home and tell your parents that you respect your teacher," he said. "Then I want you to have them sign a paper and bring it back that says you respect their teacher and that you told your parents that they need to respect your teacher. When you do that, you'll get your autograph."

Added Jones: "I like his honesty and I liked his home work assignment."

Troupe also had a final poignant statement to Jones' class.

"The most famous person in this room isn't me. It's your teacher," he said.

LINK

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 06, 2008, 11:12:38 AM

hopefully he can make huge impressions on the field...

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#2 : May 06, 2008, 03:08:54 PM

hopefully he can make huge impressions on the field...

"Your assignment is to go to the sideline and tell your defensive coordinator that you respect your head coach," he said. "Then I want you to have them sign a paper and bring it back that says you respect their head coach and that you told your defensive coordinator that they need to respect your head coach. When you do that, you'll get your autograph."

Hey, it might just work. :D
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Troupe making huge impression off the field « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools