Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown v Greise « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #15 : May 07, 2008, 09:35:45 AM »

If McCown clearly outplays greise will Greise get cut. It would free up a roster spot as it would be Garcia McCown and Johnson.

Nope - Garcia is the starter, 2a and 2b will both stay and JJ gets a year or two to learn.  Buccs did not trade for Griese to let him go, McCown is too good to let go and JJ gets a  bye. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

rowdie

Hall of Famer

« #16 : May 07, 2008, 10:55:22 AM »

If McCown clearly outplays greise will Greise get cut.  It would free up a roster spot as it would be Garcia McCown and Johnson.

I think that very easily could be the scenario. 

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

skip

Starter

« #17 : May 07, 2008, 11:10:07 AM »

No way you let McCown go over Griese. If Johnson is the number three then Griese has to be the odd man out.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

« #18 : May 07, 2008, 11:15:34 AM »

No way you let McCown go over Griese. If Johnson is the number three then Griese has to be the odd man out.

Oh I don't know about that.  You'd have to know what kind of offers you might get for one or the other and if JJ is really going to be the thrid string guy and they're only taking three, then McCown could just as easily be out as the SoB.

Do we even throw SoP into the mix?

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

« #19 : May 07, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »

Oh I don't know about that. You'd have to know what kind of offers you might get for one or the other and if JJ is really going to be the thrid string guy and they're only taking three, then McCown could just as easily be out as the SoB.

Do we even throw SoP into the mix?
LOL

Badabing

Hall of Famer

« #20 : May 08, 2008, 09:59:44 PM »

It's going to be Garcia, Griese, Johnson

or Garcia, Griese, McCown.

We will not keep 4.  Either Josh proves himself and makes the roster and pushes McCown off or Josh just performs terribly and we just flat out release him.

Theres also my view that he will end up on IR somehow...but hes a 5th round pick.  It's not like we drafted a QB in rounds 1,2, or 3.  Look at our 5th round picks over the years..alot of them last here for about a year and then are goners

« #21 : May 08, 2008, 10:12:36 PM »

It's going to be Garcia, Griese, Johnson

or Garcia, Griese, McCown.

We will not keep 4.  Either Josh proves himself and makes the roster and pushes McCown off or Josh just performs terribly and we just flat out release him.

Theres also my view that he will end up on IR somehow...but hes a 5th round pick.  It's not like we drafted a QB in rounds 1,2, or 3.  Look at our 5th round picks over the years..alot of them last here for about a year and then are goners

We may very well keep 4.  It's actually the most likely scenario.  At this time the only other scenarios that have any chance of happening are a Greise cut because of a close player race elsewhere or Johnson just Wows em.  Only way Luke goes is if he pulls a trade offer -- and of all our QBs, he's the likeliest to be worth something to another team, just as he's worth a lot to us.  Wouldn't see us part with him cheap, hbut if JJ looks good enough, Allen might do it.

Realisticly, we are looking at a 4 QB year, with the second option being cutting Greise.  SoB might have been signed purely as insurance in case Luke/Jeff gets injured in preseason...

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #22 : May 08, 2008, 10:34:44 PM »

Griese is firmly entrenched as the #2.

Either the Bucs keep four QB's or they are sending Luke packing.  Bucs are strained for roster space at multiple positions of the team so I think they only keep three QB's.

The last time Griese entered the season as the #3 was becuase of a poor pre season showing where Simms out performed him.   But do not expect Luke/Johnson to out perform Griese this time around since he has better understanding of the playbook now unlike then.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #23 : May 08, 2008, 11:45:48 PM »

If Josh Johnson doesn't play well enough to prove he is NFL ready...he will develope an injury much like Chris Simms and Mike Alstott did last season.  I.E., rather than cut JJ, they will place him on IR to keep him around until he is ready.  In this case, they will keep Garcia, Griese, and McCown.

I'd have to think that is the idea. Not expecting him to be NFL ready, but to be placed on IR. We then safely voyage into the season with three efficacious qb's.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

« #24 : May 09, 2008, 12:14:32 AM »

Griese is firmly entrenched as the #2.

Either the Bucs keep four QB's or they are sending Luke packing.  Bucs are strained for roster space at multiple positions of the team so I think they only keep three QB's.

The last time Griese entered the season as the #3 was becuase of a poor pre season showing where Simms out performed him.   But do not expect Luke/Johnson to out perform Griese this time around since he has better understanding of the playbook now unlike then.

No way is Greise #2.  Luke has shown more.  Greise is insurance nothing more.  Stop buying what Roy's selling.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
« #25 : May 09, 2008, 12:20:06 AM »

Wow, Defensewins!  Efficiacious!!  Great word!!

I agree we will keep 4 qbs this year, without question, unless Josh "gets hurt" and goes on IR.

Jon WILL go into the season with 3 experienced qbs that are ready to play.

.....just my opinion

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
« #26 : May 09, 2008, 12:20:57 AM »

I agree Caradoc!! 

Luke is #2!

.....just my opinion

dbtb135

Practice Squad

« #27 : May 09, 2008, 12:33:40 AM »

If Josh Johnson plays well enough to prove he is NFL ready, the Bucs will keep him as the number 3 along with Griese and ofcourse Garcia.  Gruden, I believe, has finally learned his lesson that after all these years in Tampa, his starting QB always goes down, so he needs a veteran back-up.  McCown isn't really a veteran, IMO, and is a raw talent guy much like Josh Johnson.

If Josh Johnson doesn't play well enough to prove he is NFL ready...he will develope an injury much like Chris Simms and Mike Alstott did last season.  I.E., rather than cut JJ, they will place him on IR to keep him around until he is ready.  In this case, they will keep Garcia, Griese, and McCown.

Bottom Line..I think McCown is gone.

So we don't get rid of the guy with no experience and isn't ready, we don't get rid of the guy that is well past his prime, we get rid of the guy who's in his prime and has had 5 years of experience in the system, more than both combined? Brilliant.

Only thing better is calling him "raw" because he hasn't been a starter yet. McCown may still have some raw talent, but last year proved the guy is plenty ready to play NFL ball.

« #28 : May 09, 2008, 12:46:01 AM »

The only reason to think McCown is gone is because of our backups (Luke, Simms, SoB, JJ), he's the only one with trade value.  Simms might net us a "we want dibs" pick, but Brian is worthless and JJ is a PS waiver if he isn't on the roster.  Luke is the CLEAR #2 right now.  I could see a scenario where a team would give us a 3 for him and we'd bite, but barring that it's Jeff, Luke, Greise, JJ  - In that order.  And JJ isn't getting cut unless he totally sucks it up.

It's either 4 QBs or bye bye SoB...

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
« #29 : May 09, 2008, 12:57:54 AM »

Good post Caradoc!

I agree with the entire thing!

.....just my opinion
  Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown v Greise « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools