Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown v Greise « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#30 : May 09, 2008, 01:43:45 AM

Griese is firmly entrenched as the #2.

Either the Bucs keep four QB's or they are sending Luke packing. Bucs are strained for roster space at multiple positions of the team so I think they only keep three QB's.

The last time Griese entered the season as the #3 was becuase of a poor pre season showing where Simms out performed him. But do not expect Luke/Johnson to out perform Griese this time around since he has better understanding of the playbook now unlike then.

No way is Greise #2. Luke has shown more. Greise is insurance nothing more. Stop buying what Roy's selling.

FWIW, DTG agrees

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 09, 2008, 11:32:17 AM

No way is Greise #2.  Luke has shown more.  Greise is insurance nothing more.  Stop buying what Roy's selling.

Griese is the #2 unless he has an epic meltdown like he did in the 2004 pre season.

FWIW, DTG agrees

Yeah it is a rarity that I agree with DTG.  Call the ambulance. :D

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#32 : May 10, 2008, 12:46:49 AM

DTG agrees with which?

.....just my opinion

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#33 : May 10, 2008, 01:46:36 PM

STILL say what I have ever since we traded for Griese.  He may be listed as the #2 on gameday, but I think WHEN Garcia gets hurt, if the Bucs know on Monday he will be out the following Sunday and have the entire week to get him ready, Luke will start the next game and until Garcia returns.

.....just my opinion

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#34 : May 10, 2008, 02:22:12 PM

Luke will be sent packing along with Gradkowski, and Simms.

Bucs didn't draft Johnson so they could lose him to another team (If they did then chalk that up to another poor 5th round choice).   And the Bucs do not have the luxury of sacrificing a roster spot to justify keeping a 4th QB.

When the Bucs are hit with injuries at some point in the season carrying that 4th QB will be more of a burden than anything else.

I think it is unrealistic for the Bucs situation to carry 4 QB's.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#35 : May 10, 2008, 04:51:03 PM

ADW, there is a possibility that Johnson could wind up on IR as was mentioned above, I think by you.

Absent that, They will keep 4 qbs, IMO.

We'll agree to disagree.

.....just my opinion

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 10, 2008, 04:54:22 PM

the best thing for the Bucs would be to keep Garcia, Griese, and Johnson.

You figure, and I'm sure 99% of Buc fans agree, that Simms and Gradkowski are gone.
I'm also sure we all agree Garcia will enter the season as the starting QB.

So that leaves 2 spots open, assuming we aren't clueless, and keep 3 QBs.  Vying for those spots are Griese, McCown, and Johnson.

Griese is a veteran who, although throws interceptions, can lead an offense down the field and toss some TDs.  This would be the first time Gruden has a LEGIT veteran back-up behind his starting QB, well, since we had Griese as the #3 behind Brad Johnson.  Griese went on to toss 20 TDs that season and we just didn't have enough talent to win games.

Every year under Gruden, our starting QB has gone down for either a few games or a whole season.  Having a veteran like Griese who has played with us before and has a winning record as our starting QB, is a good option to have.  I am not a big fan of McCown, but we've seen what he is capable of and I'd personally rather see what Josh Johnson can do.  JJ had a phenominal college career and having him as the #3 is a good option.

I seriously doubt we would trade an ALMIGHTY draft pick for Griese if we were going to just flat out release him.  McCown has mistakes that don't seem correctible.  If anything, he will grow up to be another Brian Griese.  So why should we have two brian grieses, when we can have the veteran one who has been around and keep a Josh Johnson who has more upside/potential than any other QB on the roster..

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#37 : May 10, 2008, 05:04:50 PM

I stick with my prediction, and see no reason to repeat it.

We will see what the future holds....in the future.

.....just my opinion

#38 : May 10, 2008, 05:12:48 PM

I'd like to see them takes some snaps before Greise is crowned #2.............he's here to push McCown IMO.

I too think they will carry 4 QBs Joe, and make use of the 'PUP' list somehow if they have to.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#39 : May 10, 2008, 10:05:55 PM

Griese is a veteran who, although throws interceptions, can lead an offense down the field and toss some TDs.  This would be the first time Gruden has a LEGIT veteran back-up behind his starting QB, well, since we had Griese as the #3 behind Brad Johnson.  Griese went on to toss 20 TDs that season and we just didn't have enough talent to win games.

There's no denying Griese was a quasi-stud in 04, and one of the main reasons Clayton had as big of a rookie season he had. BUT watching him in 05 before he got injured, he was asked to do as little as possible and STILL made many a costly mistake. PR recently mentioned Luke's penchant for mistakes that turned into points for the opposition, remember Griese in 05 against the Jets or Lions? He would basically GIVE them the ball in field goal position, and possibly offer to hold for the kicker he was that costly for us. Then his terrible stint in Chicago as the QB behind Rex Grossman, who actually happened to be even worse than Rex Grossman. So bottom line, he looks like he's either done currently or will be done shortly, AND he's got the same drawback as Luke who actually still has potential at QB and performed much better when given the chance last year than Griese faired.

You can paint Griese out to be a rose, but looking at him SINCE 04, he's been anything but.

Every year under Gruden, our starting QB has gone down for either a few games or a whole season.  Having a veteran like Griese who has played with us before and has a winning record as our starting QB, is a good option to have.  I am not a big fan of McCown, but we've seen what he is capable of and I'd personally rather see what Josh Johnson can do.  JJ had a phenominal college career and having him as the #3 is a good option.

I'd rather personally keep Johnson as far away from PT as I can for now. It might do well for his development, but there's no question we're screwed if he sees the field this season. I mean, we are still operating under the assumption that the team should be contending in the NFC this year, right?

HYPE aside, and I know thats hard for a lot of Johnson's fanboys (not calling anyone out) to do, this kid is not ready to play his rookie year for a team going for a 2nd division title in as many years. Few QBs really are their first year.

I seriously doubt we would trade an ALMIGHTY draft pick for Griese if we were going to just flat out release him.  McCown has mistakes that don't seem correctible.  If anything, he will grow up to be another Brian Griese.  So why should we have two brian grieses, when we can have the veteran one who has been around and keep a Josh Johnson who has more upside/potential than any other QB on the roster..

How do you figure? And again, it seems you're failing to accept McCown looked like a legit NFL QB in his PT last year, while Griese looked like someone who should have hung it up.

buckit

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 10, 2008, 10:10:27 PM

I honestly think Griese's best days are behind him.  Personally, I like to keep my QB's plug and play.  Garcia has wheels (what's left of em), as does McCown and Johnson.  If coached properly, the depth chart could go Garcia, McCown and Johnson, so that if one went down you wouldn't have to dramatically change the offense like when the Titans throw in Kerry Collins.  I'd love to see Gruden open LEGITIMATE competition between McCown and Garcia.  But that won't happen. 

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#41 : May 10, 2008, 10:18:19 PM

Badabing, you may be right about McCown having flaws that can't be corrected, but why are you already coming to that conclusion.  

It amazes me that Simms is given so much "slack" after playing for us for quite some time, but Luke, based on THREE starts this year is ALREADY out of opportunities?

De**CENSORED**e his "many" errors he still had a 91.7 qb rating which is very high.  It seems that some have no recognition of that.  IMO, the only REAL REPEATING flaw he has is holding the ball too long.  Almost without exception, EVERY young qb has the same flaw!  The good ones learn with experience.  Luke hasn't had enough playing time to GET the experience.

.....just my opinion

#42 : May 10, 2008, 10:26:36 PM

Marino is the only exception I can think of Joe................well, Ben Roth did OK.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#43 : May 10, 2008, 10:30:51 PM

That's why I said ALMOST....

.....just my opinion

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#44 : May 10, 2008, 10:31:26 PM

I honestly think Griese's best days are behind him. Personally, I like to keep my QB's plug and play. Garcia has wheels (what's left of em), as does McCown and Johnson. If coached properly, the depth chart could go Garcia, McCown and Johnson, so that if one went down you wouldn't have to dramatically change the offense like when the Titans throw in Kerry Collins. I'd love to see Gruden open LEGITIMATE competition between McCown and Garcia. But that won't happen.

Good post

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown v Greise « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools