Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Devin Hester. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

#15 : December 12, 2006, 12:16:31 AM

Devin Hester has the ability to stop, and cut, and accelerate. Those are key in returning kicks. The Bucs do not have anyone close to having those traits in spades.

Hey, we've got Pitt who can run hard, trip, and fall!!!

Bucnation619

Second String

#16 : December 12, 2006, 12:16:45 AM

damnnnn he good  kick return!! burn them!! ;D

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 12, 2006, 12:17:22 AM

Unfriggin' believable.  Damn right that would have been worth a first-round pick.

To put this in a little more perspective:
Hester for the year:  6TDs
Caddy + Clayton:  2TDs

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 12, 2006, 12:17:31 AM

DTG.. I have no idea..

Then how can make a definitive statement about the blocking schemes?

but how in the hell do you explain not ever returning one?

Oh that's easy. Since 1976, when he was 13 years old, it has been Jon Gruden's fault. There's no other explanation for 30 years of ineptitude in the return game.

Hillarious!

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#19 : December 12, 2006, 12:21:29 AM

damnnnn he good  kick return!! burn them!! ;D

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 12, 2006, 12:21:36 AM

Sometimes, scouting reports are dead on...

This is a player in the defensive backfield at the nickel backup cornerback position
This is a player that posses a great deal of talent, but for whatever reason does not have a position to flourish at, for all his glitz and glamor from the media he is just a backup defensive back
Most of his success and media coverage has come from his game breaking ability as a special teams returner, as a returner he is a unique athlete with exceptional separating speed, instincts, vision and burst to the hole, and the special gift that at any given time he touches the ball he has the innate ability to take it the distance
The question is where can he play at on a full time basis and to best utilize his gifts?, currently he is still a backup cornerback, a player of his talent needs to be on the field on a consistent basis, he is a playmaker that needs more opportunity to make plays
Are you telling me there are (22) more talented, better athletes and football players on offense and defense than this player on his team???????????????????????????????????
Update (01-02-06)   Miami kick returner Devin Hester will announce Monday he'll skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft. ESPN's Joe Schad reports that even though Hester's position in the pros is unclear, he has told people he's fine if he's a second- or third-round pick. "We're still struggling," Hester said Monday morning. "I have to do what's best for my family. Our house is still damaged from the hurricane. My roof caved in. I have to take this opportunity for my family." Hester said he plans to run a 4.2 second 40 yard dash at the NFL combine and projects as an athlete who can play cornerback, wide receiver and returner. "I'm a great athlete," Hester said. "Put me anywhere and I'll make plays. My style is different than most of the players out there. I'm explosive. I have a burst. It's hit it and go. And that translates. It translates to the NFL. You'll see." Over his first three seasons, Hester -- who has played cornerback, running back and wide receiver for Miami, plus ran back kickoffs and punts -- has given the Hurricanes an average of 17.7 yards every time he touches the football. On 117 interception returns, kick returns, catches and carries, he's totaled 2,070 yards. He was primarily used as a cornerback this season for the Hurricanes, who moved him to offense before their season-ending appearance against LSU in the Peach Bowl. He did apply to the NFL advisory council in an effort to gauge his draft position, although it's unknown what that committee may have told Hester.
[/b]

#21 : December 12, 2006, 12:24:39 AM

nice post Boid.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#22 : December 12, 2006, 12:29:17 AM

DTG.. I have no idea..

Then how can make a definitive statement about the blocking schemes?

but how in the hell do you explain not ever returning one?

Oh that's easy. Since 1976, when he was 13 years old, it has been Jon Gruden's fault. There's no other explanation for 30 years of ineptitude in the return game.

Well... I never thought of it like that. Good point.

STERN11354

Starter

#23 : December 12, 2006, 11:54:00 AM

Ohh no, I know, but I am just saying I doubt very highly that he.. or Dante Hall would have any luck with our blocking schemes.

So how do the Bucs return blocking schemes vary from Chicago's?

Our special teams coaches are different.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 12, 2006, 12:16:35 PM

I kept asking last night why do they even kick it deep to him? Why not squib kick every damn one of the kickoffs? That was 2 TDs he accounted for. St. Louis special teams guy should be fired today and fire Bisaccia as well just for the hell of it!

T

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 12, 2006, 12:27:38 PM

As long as Hester keeps on Special Teams he'll be alright. He is a liability on defense unless he improves in the upcoming offseason.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 12, 2006, 12:29:01 PM

57th player taken in the 2nd round.... What a great draft pick by Chicago!  A gamble since he really is not the sharpest knife in the drawer to ever be a fulltime NFL starter at WR DB Rb... strictly situational but what an awesome physical talent!!!

Picking "special teams players" is definately an "Art" and "Skill"..

#27 : December 12, 2006, 05:22:59 PM

Why does everyone love him so much? All he does his return kicks. Can't play WR...Can't play DB... all he does is ST and you burned a 3rd round pick on him?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 12, 2006, 05:25:50 PM

Why does everyone love him so much? All he does his return kicks. Can't play WR...Can't play DB... all he does is ST and you burned a 3rd round pick on him?
He's scored 3 times as many touchdowns as our 1st round WR and 1st round RB put together.

#29 : December 12, 2006, 05:26:31 PM

To put this in a little more perspective:
Hester for the year:  5TDs
Caddy + Clayton:  2TDs

That is an absolutely painful assessment.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Devin Hester. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools