Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Devin Hester. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

coopsxx

Starter
#30 : December 12, 2006, 05:29:17 PM

he better win rookie of the year

he has done it pretty much all on his own, and has forced (smart) opponents to change there gameplan against him, i dunno if colsten, jones drew (maybe young) has.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 12, 2006, 05:31:08 PM

To put this in a little more perspective:
Hester for the year:  5TDs
Caddy + Clayton:  2TDs

That is an absolutely painful assessment.

I had to edit it as he has actually scored 6 TDs this season (I forgot to include the missed FG he returned for a TD)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 12, 2006, 07:15:16 PM

Hester is the new Deion Sanders of returning kicks and punts.

But they do need to find a way to keep him off the field.  He is not that great a CB, in all reality...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#33 : December 12, 2006, 07:32:25 PM

Six in a year, and I have been waiting for one for ....  Oh well.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#34 : December 12, 2006, 08:23:45 PM

Hester was worth that 3rd for the Bears. I know a couple of his returns have been the reason why the Bears have won some games. Great returns are momentum shifters especially in close games. And we all know the importance of field position in football is.

#35 : December 12, 2006, 10:37:58 PM

Why does everyone love him so much? All he does his return kicks. Can't play WR...Can't play DB... all he does is ST and you burned a 3rd round pick on him?

Between KO and punt returns, he's a guy thats gonna touch the ball 5-7 times a game. How is that any different than a WR on this team? For what he brings to the table, surely he's worth a 3rd rounder.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#36 : December 12, 2006, 10:43:46 PM

Hester is the new Deion Sanders of returning kicks and punts.

But they do need to find a way to keep him off the field. He is not that great a CB, in all reality...
Kicking it out of bounds is better than letting him get a hold of it!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#37 : December 12, 2006, 11:44:12 PM

Why does everyone love him so much? All he does his return kicks. Can't play WR...Can't play DB... all he does is ST and you burned a 3rd round pick on him?

Between KO and punt returns, he's a guy thats gonna touch the ball 5-7 times a game. How is that any different than a WR on this team? For what he brings to the table, surely he's worth a 3rd rounder.

Exactly.

MBF, you cannot be serious about the "why?", can you?  Imean, that is what you want out of ST's, big plays.  And Hester gets them in spades my man.  Spades.  6 TD's for a guy that just returns kicks?  That is damned phenomenal.  It alters the field position game, and that is huge in football.  I mean, serioulsly, did you of all people ask that question?  Why?

#38 : December 12, 2006, 11:45:49 PM

I found it appropriate he gave his mentor Deion some props with that TD celebration....FLA athletes keeping it real, gotta love it.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#39 : December 12, 2006, 11:49:32 PM

I found it appropriate he gave his mentor Deion some props with that TD celebration....FLA athletes keeping it real, gotta love it.
That little dance had me reminiscing about Deion.  I used to love that guy man.  He was true shutdown corner, and kick return master.  I miss his big playmaking skills.  I actually will start enjoying watching the kid return kicks.  It brings excitement to the game man.

#40 : December 12, 2006, 11:54:29 PM

agreed, same with Mo Jones-Drew, watching him run through guys like a bowling ball is pretty entertaining.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#41 : December 13, 2006, 08:28:06 AM

Special teams represent at least a 3rd of a teams power and strength.   JMHO but I think a special teams TD is one of the most demoralizing plays to an opponent even more than a fumble or interception.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#42 : December 13, 2006, 10:24:55 AM

Special teams represent at least a 3rd of a teams power and strength. JMHO but I think a special teams TD is one of the most demoralizing plays to an opponent even more than a fumble or interception.
I agree.  A quick TD from a kick return/PR is demoralizing, and it juices the entire team up.  But, if a fumble or a pick occurs and ends with a score, I think those are on equal footing in terms of reducing a teams spirit.  But STs kick returns are a rare and valuable asset, no question.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#43 : December 13, 2006, 10:31:57 AM

They're valuable but they aren't a consistent factor whihc accounts for a lot of their "stun" value.  Dante Hall, the guy people were pimping and an MVP candidate, has more years with no kick return TD's than with them and the same for punt returns. You look at the league leaders and they tend to be high variable - in other words whoever breaks 1 or 2 gets into the top of the list but finding guys who can consistently provide a threat year in and year out is hard an really might be considered impossible.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#44 : December 13, 2006, 10:44:13 AM

Devin Hester = Mel Gray???

But I have alluded to this, espescially in reference to any specialty guys (KR/PR) that the odds of them replicating what they did in college to the Pros is slim to none. 

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Devin Hester. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools