Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeff Garcia, what would we do without him? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

vladin

Starter

#15 : May 15, 2008, 12:02:25 PM

Without Garcia, we put either Griese or McCown in there, and we don't ask too much of them other than to manage the game and keep the defenses honest while we pound the crap out of them with a good Running game and frustrate them with a stellar defense.... 

And this isn't a "what if?".  You can count on Garcia missing at least 2 games this year. 

You simply cannot base your franchise's future on a 38 year old QB and expect the sustained level of success afforded to the Patriots and Colts.

LVBUC

Practice Squad

#16 : May 15, 2008, 02:46:15 PM

I think we should feel luckey that it isn't 2006 and have a 6th round draft choice as the back-up.  The Bucs have done well stocking the back-up QB.  The Bucs have to be in the top 10 with thier QB's.  Name me 10 other teams you like the 1st - 3rd better then the Bucs.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#17 : May 15, 2008, 03:08:30 PM

1 TD per game started is not rated anywhere near the top. I think it stinks!

Griese and McCown can do that. I don't know about the INT's tho.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 15, 2008, 03:39:01 PM

Uncle Stan, Garcia not turning the ball over is huge.

Also, he sat out the Carolina, Houston, and New Orleans game.  He was pulled late in the 2nd quarter of the 49ers game, missed about a quarter of the Seahawks game, and I would say missed all of the Redskins game.  Yeah he started 13 games and had only 13 TDs, but when you take a closer look, it's like he played in 11 games.  Still that isn't impressive, but if you look at the teams he missed out on playing, like New Orleans, Houston, Carolina,  a half against 49ers, it's not crazy to think he could have thrown 7 TDs in those 4 games.  Afterall, I think McCown had about 5 and we all know Garcia is better than McCown...

You also have to look at TDs he set up.

For example, in the New Orleans game.  One of Caddy's 1 yard run, Garcia scrambled all the way to the Saints 1 yard line for Caddy to punch it in.
On the 2nd of Caddy's 1 yard runs, Garcia threw a bomb to Galloway, 41 yards, to get within the Saints 9 yard line.

In the Carolina game, He threw a slant pass to Hilliard in which he was downed at the Panthers 3.  Garcia then proceeded to run it in from there.

In the Arizona game, Garcia scrambled to the Cardinals 4 yard line, where Graham proceeded to punch it in.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 15, 2008, 03:41:12 PM

Griese is a good QB in Gruden system. He had the Bucs at 5-1 before he got hurt and was playing good football

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 15, 2008, 03:48:25 PM

8 Turnovers, 6.5 ypa, and a 79 QB Rating in 6 starts is hardly good football.  He had about as much to do with the 5-1 start as I did. 

The offensive MVP's to that point in the season were Caddy and Walker.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 15, 2008, 03:55:41 PM

yea Griese wasn't playing bad, but he certainly wasn't playing good.

I remember it like it was yesterday.  The opener against Minnesota...I thought for sure, we'd blow the lead...but then a gift happened and Caddy broke out a 70 somin yarder.  The next week our defense just dominated the Bills, only giving up 3 points.

The next week we beat Greenbay by a point.  I believe their kicker had a horrible game missing field goals and an extra point.  The next week, the refs helped us out by not allowing that Detroit late touchdown.  The week after that we lsot to the lowly jets and could only muster up field goals.  The week after that, we were up 13-6 on the Dolphins when Griese came out.

Come to think of it, we were one of the most suspect 4-0 teams I've ever encountered...haha ofcourse at the time..I was saying different...but now that I look back...

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 15, 2008, 04:05:19 PM

No Garcia?

Lose.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 15, 2008, 04:09:20 PM

8 Turnovers, 6.5 ypa, and a 79 QB Rating in 6 starts is hardly good football. He had about as much to do with the 5-1 start as I did.

The offensive MVP's to that point in the season were Caddy and Walker.

Griese definitely had more to do with winning those games than you did Brainiac.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 15, 2008, 04:13:43 PM

With Garcia, I say we can go between 9-7 and 11-5 next season.

With Griese or McCown, I say we can go between 6-10 and 8-8.  I don't see much of a difference.  I can see them beating/losing to different teams, however.

If Josh Johnson was to start the year, being raw and all, I'd say we go either 3-13 or 4-12(that is no discredit to JJ, it's just hes a rookie and I don't see us doing well with a Division II rookie right off the bat)

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 15, 2008, 04:14:53 PM

Griese definitely had more to do with winning those games than you did Brainiac.

Bucs defense seems to be always overshadowed when talking about Griese's "accomplishments".

[banghead]

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 15, 2008, 04:19:51 PM

in 2005, Griese didn't play bad, but that was more of a product of the #1 defense and running game.  Same went for Simms that year.  I think Simms threw 7 touchdowns in 3 games throughout the season, but in his other 7 starts, he only tossed 3.

in 2002, Brad was phenominal.  22 TDs and 6 picks.  Result: Our D was dominate and our offense was good enough for us to win games and not lose them.  We win Super Bowl.

Following year, Brad throws 26 TDs, but also 21 picks.  Result: Injuries, Keyshawn issue, and turnovers killed us.  We had 7 wins, but you can see the abilility to hold onto the ball is huge for not only your offense, but your defense..

JC510

Practice Squad

#27 : May 15, 2008, 04:56:35 PM

In 2004 and 2005 Griese's INT% with the lead or tied was 5.2%. That's BRUTAL. And it's not even like even like he's trying to make plays downfield. Alot of INTs were short passes that end up getting returned for huge yardage/TDs. I can't find confirmation on this, but someone on here posted that Griese is the all-time leader in red zone INTs.

He can put up yardage and points, he's a good gun slinger like that. But when it's time to just manage the game and be smart he's a disaster.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 15, 2008, 05:07:18 PM

Give McCown his shot...

He has a shot to win the job in training camp if he does amazing... but if Garcia goes down let McCown start... if he falters put Johnson in... Griese will always be the #2 tho

#29 : May 15, 2008, 05:08:37 PM

if Garcia isn't the starting QB this year, throw in the towel and look toward the following year.

true..
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeff Garcia, what would we do without him? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools