Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Let's try a different slant on Gradkowski « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#15 : December 12, 2006, 11:19:52 AM

It all depends on what they do in the draft.  If they draft a franchise QB you don't over pay to keep Simms.  If you do keep Simms you could draft Calvin Johnson to give Chris two vertical threats.  Then beef up the o-line with a couple FA's to protect.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 12, 2006, 11:27:34 AM

i think you need a veteran in the fold no matter what, and you need to promise that guy he can realistically beat out Gradkowski....he may not be ready to lead a playoff team in '07, but it's not a now-or-never scenario when you play with gruden and the guy starting ahead of you is likely to be 35+ years old

but good teams help their QB out, no matter what his skill level is....i think some help at C, depth at Guard, and an elite WR would help, but the biggest thing this team can do to help its QB is bring back a fearsome pass rush. pass rush = turnovers = field position = points = a lead = more pass rush

this team hasn't had enough short fields and enough chances to run the ball and get the TEs involved, both of which make the QB's life MUCH easier.

but to answer your question, as much as i think Grads will be a good player down the line, he's not a top 10 draft pick or an Franchise FA where you say the organization is so vested in him that replacing him isn't an option, and you MUST upgrade his weapons. organizations that take that tack are trying to justify their investment in a harrington, vick, carr, etc....

T

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 12, 2006, 01:38:43 PM

Brady Quinn will be our starter next year until he is injured by our horrible offensive line in Week 11 then Gradkowski will start the remainder of the year. Bucs will finish 7-9.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 12, 2006, 02:13:43 PM

I need some help here guys.  Why Brady Quinn and not Troy Smith?  Or Russell?  Just want to understand.

I think better players would help any QB.  I mean one reason Tom Brady is struggling is they've taken away 2 years of playmakers from him with their system of going for good rookies letting go pros who brought them to the dance.  At some point that strategy has to be very demoralizing to Patriots players remaining wondering when they'll be tosses. 

I love Simms as a person, but I don't feel after 4 years in system he's shown as much as he should.  It isn't fair to compare him to Romo because their path was completely different and Simms has been out on injury more than he's been in ( which is an issue in and of itself).  Grads in some ways is really further along in his development than Simms.  Luke is entirely unknown to me but he's supposed to be very athletic.  As I mature as a fan, I see that good decision making can trump lacking in somoe other areas of QBing.  So to me, who develops into the best decision maker with adequate skills to better than average skills is who makes it for me.  Right now, that is hard to say concderning Grads.  He's just too green and was thrown into it too soon and in that sense he's doing okay given that he is clearly nOT AN INSTANT SUPERSTAR.  You guys probably know better than me, but aren't instand superstars by definition in short supply every year?

The progress of Vince YOung and Leinart are what guides my thinking right now.  You can see that athey will be winning more than losing games next year in all probability plus they have high picks again in this years draft to shore up any remaining deficiencies.  That is why I lean to the philosophy of drafting the best  player on the board at your turn.  Those first round picks (Reggiei Brown et. al ) can make a whole team better.  In addition our team is in serious lack of leadership which a Reggie Brown or a Vince Young, Leniart etc bring to their teams.  In additon to a QB, we need some player leadership to emerge for the next generation of Bucs that we are preparing for.

I know this is too long, but I'm home  sick today and have nothing else to do.  Sorry.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 12, 2006, 02:19:47 PM

I need some help here guys.  Why Brady Quinn and not Troy Smith?  Or Russell?  Just want to understand.

Right now, to be honest, all these discussions are about place holders for me. The parsing of Russell vs Quinn or Smith is sort of meaningless. At the top of the board there is every indication there will be a highly valued QB, DE and LOT and we might well have our choice of 2 of the 3. Who exactly those guys are doesn't matter right now but the logic of taking one of those positions is the better discission.

I think Quinn is usually mentioned becuase on almost every mock draft site he's on the top of the boards so, in sort of a logic of the mob effect, people assume he's the best prospect.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

T

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 12, 2006, 02:42:56 PM

Ladyfan-Everything is specualtion at this point since the draft is almost 4 months away. I'm on the Brady Quinn bandwagon for a number of reasons like: He plays for a ex NFL Coordinator in a Pro Style Offense, is durable which is key with our offensive line issues and has all the skills to be a good pro prospect. The Bucs in all likelihood will have a Top 3 pick and Russel or Troy Smith aren't worth a top 3 pick. But if the Bucs choose Joe Thomas in the 1st I wouldn't mind seeing them choose Russel or Smith in the 2nd or trading up to get them.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#21 : December 12, 2006, 02:44:39 PM

But if the Bucs choose Joe Thomas in the 1st I wouldn't mind seeing them choose Russel or Smith in the 2nd or trading up to get them.

Top two picks on O again......that will go down well.   :o

T

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 12, 2006, 02:51:25 PM

But if the Bucs choose Joe Thomas in the 1st I wouldn't mind seeing them choose Russel or Smith in the 2nd or trading up to get them.

Top two picks on O again......that will go down well. :o
Yeah, it'll go down well since the Free Agent pool is loaded with defensive players that would excel in Monte's system. Bucs would be smart to rebuild the defense with free agents and continue to build the offense through the draft. There is gonna be very little proven offensive talent available in free agency this year.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 12, 2006, 03:45:03 PM

why would you put a franchise tag on Simms and pay him the avg. of the top 5 QB's salaries including Vick and Manning when it would cost less to re-sign him straight up?

The Bucs won't pay Simms $9 million a year.

#24 : December 12, 2006, 03:45:58 PM

why would you put a franchise tag on Simms and pay him the avg. of the top 5 QB's salaries including Vick and Manning when it would cost less to re-sign him straight up?

The Bucs won't pay Simms $9 million a year.
I know..that would be #### stupid

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 12, 2006, 03:46:26 PM

The franchise tag is Simms wet dream.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#26 : December 13, 2006, 12:24:59 AM

Grads--No!
Garcia--NO!!
Simms--Yes!

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 13, 2006, 01:45:51 AM

T:  Thanks for the info on Quinn.  I went online to some of the draft mocks and all helps me understand better.  Realistically, it'll take us 2 years of draft and FA to regain former glory. Since the whole process is trial and error, I'll be more than content with above average results.  All I hope for is above average draft...which means to me going for some of the consensus top players and not the obscure ones....and working    on building the team...building the cohesion etc.  And winning at least 8-9 games next year.  that would be progress positive for moi!

phbuc

Rookie

#28 : December 13, 2006, 07:16:46 AM

Let's try differnet slants, ins, outs, curls, fly and seams!

You've got 1/2 second to process a lot of information.
WTMI for Gradkowski! No amount of supporting
players can compensate for that.

richbucsfan

Starter

#29 : December 13, 2006, 08:27:56 AM

Seems like in the NFL these days there are very few long term qbs.  It's patchwork at best.  Injuries and total lack of talent at the position keep most teams from having that steady great qb. 
What really bothers me is the absolute refusal of JG to even consider the shotgun.  Most coaches are stubborn and it has to be their way or the highway, but come on, he is the only coach (I'm not 100% positive) to not have the shotgun.  Seems to me when your OL sucks and your backs can't block, it might just seem like a logical thing to buy a second or two by using the shotgun.  Not a coach here, but seems logical.
The Bucs are not going anywhere anytime soon unless a new offensive paradigm is instituted... how is that for business logic???
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Let's try a different slant on Gradkowski « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools