Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Progress: California Supreme Court Overturns Gay Marriage Ban « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 33

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

: May 15, 2008, 04:13:24 PM

Great news. I've always said that the courts would eventually decide this and this is
just the beginning. For those who disagreed, time to grow up get over your homophobic,
judgmental, selves. Your love of (for the Bible folk) Leviticus needs to end.

Eventually, it's going to be the same in every state.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080515174435.xgo31cvp&show_article=1

California Supreme Court overturns gay marriage ban   

May 15

California High Court Overturns Gay Marriage Ban

California's supreme court ruled that a ban on gay marriage was unlawful Thursday, effectively leaving same-sex couples in America's most populous state free to tie the knot in a landmark ruling.

In an opinion that analysts say could have nationwide implications for the issue, the seven-member panel voted 4-3 in favor of plaintiffs who argued that restricting marriage to men and women was discriminatory.

"... limiting the designation of marriage to a union 'between a man and a woman' is unconstitutional and must be stricken from the statute," California Chief Justice Ron George said in the written opinion.

Before Thursday only one US state -- Massachusetts -- allowed gay marriage, although California, New Jersey and Vermont have legislation which grants same-sex partners many of the same legal rights as married couples.

Thursday's ruling came after a long-running legal battle that erupted in 2000 when California voters approved a law declaring that only marriages between men and women could be legally recognized.

In February 2004, the City of San Francisco defied state law by issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, arguing that existing laws were illegal because they violated equal rights legislation.

A court later halted the issuance of licenses and declared that same-sex marriages that took place during this period were void.

However San Francisco and civil rights activists waged a legal case arguing that limiting marriage to opposite-sex couples was unconstitutional and that the law should be struck down.

In 2005 the San Francisco Superior Court ruled in favor of the plaintiffs, finding that there was no justification for refusing to allow marriages on gender grounds.

But the decision was overturned in 2006 by the California Court of Appeal, which ruled in a 2-1 decision that the state's desire to "carry out the expressed wishes of a majority" was sufficient to preserve the existing law.

California lawmakers have also voted in favor of gay marriage but the bill was vetoed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has said that the matter is for the state's court system to decide on.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 15, 2008, 04:25:36 PM

great news IF you believe in gay marriage Joe...

to me, it just signals one more notch in the belt of an imoral society.

my view on this has nothing to do with religion, or growing up, just doesn't mix with my moral code.

I'm sure you are going to fire a bunch of liberal stuff at me, however, you can't change what is deep inside of someone, and inside of me, it says homosexual marriage is just wrong.

I have no fancy stats to back up my feeelings, just think it's wrong, and sets a confusing example for our childern.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 15, 2008, 04:28:30 PM

That won't happen throughout the country.

#3 : May 15, 2008, 04:58:04 PM

i'm for gay marriage.
marriage is marriage.

#4 : May 15, 2008, 04:59:52 PM

I have no fancy stats to back up my feeelings, just think it's wrong, and sets a confusing example for our childern.

funny your favorite band wheres girly make up and spandex and you are worried about setting a confusing example for your children...haha

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 15, 2008, 05:01:41 PM

lol orion.

Why shouldn't gay people be as miserable as the rest of us?

#6 : May 15, 2008, 05:42:39 PM

to me, it just signals one more notch in the belt of an imoral society.

my view on this has nothing to do with religion, or growing up, just doesn't mix with my moral code.

I'm sure you are going to fire a bunch of liberal stuff at me, however, you can't change what is deep inside of someone, and inside of me, it says homosexual marriage is just wrong.

Bigots like you were saying the same things when California was the first to strike down the ban on inter-racial marriage in 1948.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#7 : May 15, 2008, 07:16:37 PM

The State should ban ALL marriage.  That way the homophobes are happy 'cause gays can't married, the gays are happy 'cause they aren't being desciminated, and straight men are happy because nobody is gonna take half our stuff.  It's a win-win-win for everyone, except jewelry stores.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 15, 2008, 07:20:35 PM

That won't happen throughout the country.

Sure it can if it becomes precident. Just a few gay guys in each state files suit.

That's the way the courts work.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 15, 2008, 07:30:05 PM

OK I am old fashioned I guess.  Marriage is a union between two adult for the purpose of raising a family.  If I didn't have kids or never intended having kids there is no way I would waste my time getting married.

Absolutely no need for gay marriage other than gays desperately wanting to be 'normal', which in the eyes of many they will never be.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 15, 2008, 07:31:06 PM

I miss the good old days when whites could only marry whites and blacks could only marry blacks.
Let's just vote on it and try to bring back those laws.

These people are a threat to the fabric of society! It's not a toooomer!

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jwkOsl_2iOFpsbrsdrjnSRYcZynw

Plaintiffs in the lawsuit, which included the City of San Francisco, were overcome with emotion after the ruling.

"We have waited more than 50 years for the opportunity to marry," said Phyllis Lyon, 80, referring to her partner Del Martin, 84.

The couple had been together 55 years and married in San Francisco on February 12, 2004, only to see their union later annulled.

"We are thrilled that this day has finally come."

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican who has previously vetoed attempts by lawmakers to legalize gay marriage, said he respected the court ruling and vowed to "uphold its ruling."

"Also, as I have said in the past, I will not support an amendment to the constitution that would overturn this state Supreme Court ruling."

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 15, 2008, 07:36:44 PM

OK I am old fashioned I guess.  Marriage is a union between two adult for the purpose of raising a family.  If I didn't have kids or never intended having kids there is no way I would waste my time getting married.

Absolutely no need for gay marriage other than gays desperately wanting to be 'normal', which in the eyes of many they will never be.

Yeah, why would I marry my wife when we don't plan on having kids?

Ummmm, how about being able to make legal decisions if something happens to one of us?
Or, the dozens of other benefits? Or, because we felt like it? In my case, I married her
when I did because of her illegal status. But we would have done it eventually because
you're at a disadvantage legally (and in other ways) if you are just living in sin. Maybe
there are ways to make it a common law thing but why bother when we could just
go down to the court house and be done in five minutes?

If society wants to do away with the marriage term and label all partnerships, civil unions,
I'm all for it. Then you can let the people who get married in a church call their marriages
holy matrimony or whatever floats their boat. But legally, every partnership would be
called a civil union. Hallmark would love adding a new greeting card to the fold.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 15, 2008, 07:41:29 PM

I dunno, gays are gonna boof each other regardless of marriage status, so there's got to be some other reason. Work benefits... etc.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 15, 2008, 07:48:07 PM

gays desperately wanting to be 'normal', which in the eyes of many they will never be.

Hey, I have something in common with the gays!

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 15, 2008, 07:48:40 PM

OK I am old fashioned I guess. Marriage is a union between two adult for the purpose of raising a family. If I didn't have kids or never intended having kids there is no way I would waste my time getting married.

There is some need.  Many ICUs will only allow immediate family to vist a seriously injured/ill person and gay partners have been denied this.  Also, beneficiary issue regarding insurance sometimes get tricky if there isn't a marriage license.  If a gay couple wants to buy a home, joint ownership can be more of a hassle without that paper.  Lots of weird little quirks in the laws that a marriage cert smoothes over.  Most employee group health insurance plans will only cover "spouse and children".

Aside from the hospital visitation, maybe it isn't a "need", but a marriage cert. does eliminate the need for about 2 dozens other documents and forms.  

Page: 1 2 3 ... 33
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Progress: California Supreme Court Overturns Gay Marriage Ban « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools