Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Scientists: Homosexuality occurs in "hundreds" of species « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 17, 2008, 12:47:02 PM

THe difference is that animals are creatures of instincts and urges and humans have a large cerebral cortex in which they can control behavior. Bonobo's screw all of the time, doesn't matter what the sex is. They have no norms in their society and they have no behavioral pressure. You can't compare gay sex in animals to humans, make so sense.
I really don't care if you like men and your a man, or you like women, big deal. Just don't try to make yourself out to be a minority like your African American or Hispanic, the only thing that makes you different is your need to have sex with a man, and that does not make you a "specialized" culture.......the whole gay culture thing is what offends people.

Applause....

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 17, 2008, 12:50:53 PM

THe difference is that animals are creatures of instincts and urges and humans have a large
cerebral cortex in which they can control behavior.

So why do you have sex with a female? Can't control your urges? Or do you just do it to
procreate? Gays, just like Heteros, can control control their urges. But the overwhelming
majority cannot control who they are attracted to or who they fall in love with. I think
people are starting to accept that in larger numbers.

Bonobo's screw all of the time, doesn't matter what the sex is.  They have no norms in their society
and they have no behavioral pressure.

Ahhhh, the norms. You mean the same norms that made it accepted to keep blacks in the back
of the bus? And the same norms that made interracial marriage illegal and frowned upon? Sorry,
but society has a long history of being wrong about their norms.

You can't compare gay sex in animals to humans,  make so sense.

Makes 100% sense when we're talking about whether it is genetic or a learned behavior
and whether it occurs in nature or is "natural."

I really don't care if you like men and your a man, or you like women, big deal. Just don't try
to make yourself out to be a minority like your African American or Hispanic,

Ahhh, but the California SC said otherwise. It's IS like racial and gender bias.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/la-me-gaymarriage16-2008may16,0,2982265.story

The majority opinion, by Chief Justice Ronald M. George, declared that any law that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation will from this point on be constitutionally suspect in California in the same way as laws that discriminate by race or gender, making the state's high court the first in the nation to adopt such a stringent standard.

The decision was a bold surprise from a moderately conservative, Republican-dominated court that legal scholars have long dubbed "cautious," and experts said it was likely to influence other courts around the country.

the only thing that makes you different is your need to have sex with a man, and that does not
make you a "specialized" culture....

No, it makes same sex couples just like you and your wife and me and my wife. And they shall
have the same rights in California (for now) and Mass.

They need to have sex with the same sex and you need to have sex with the opposite sex.

the whole gay culture thing is what offends people.

Lots of things offend lots of people. The courts don't rule in things because they offend or don't
offend.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 17, 2008, 12:52:23 PM

Applause....

Let's hear your own thoughts, in our own words, on this and the gay marriage ruling.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 17, 2008, 01:09:30 PM

People choose to be gay.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.......

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 17, 2008, 01:29:04 PM

People choose to be gay.

Ignorance.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 17, 2008, 02:02:18 PM

Despite the Seinfeld reference, clueless statement ...

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#21 : May 17, 2008, 02:50:02 PM

According to University of Oslo zoologist Petter Böckman, about 1,500 animal species are known to practice same-sex coupling, including bears, gorillas, flamingos, owls, salmon and many others.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080516/sc_livescience/samesexcouplescommoninthewild

OK, I gotta draw the line at salmon.  Salmon can't engage in same-sex sex because they don't engage in any kind of sex.  The females drop eggs, the males drop sperm and the current does the rest.  How do you determine if an animal is gay if there is no intercourse?  Does U of Oslo have fish psychiatrists that ask the salmon about their feelings?

If Salmon are gay, what does that make grouper?  Grouper start life out as females and when they reach a certain size and age, they become males.  Does this mean my lunch sandwich has a transsexual gene?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 17, 2008, 02:58:23 PM

You can't compare gay sex in animals to humans, make no sense.

Exactly.

It seems like some are just wiating for an excuse to pound a dude. "Hey, bugs and animals do it all the time"

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 17, 2008, 03:09:49 PM

I think there are some here who need to "come out" to the board and get it over with?

Why all the pro-gayness threads?

You people have your thoughts, those who think it is wrong have ours.  We won't agree, so why bother with the arguement?

Just "come out" and you can all be gay and enjoy it a lot more.  Hell, you can start a GAY BUCS FANS message board and talk about all the gayness that you want to talk about with no one even disagreeing with you...

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 17, 2008, 03:21:00 PM

You can't compare gay sex in animals to humans, make no sense.

Exactly.

It seems like some are just wiating for an excuse to pound a dude. "Hey, bugs and animals do it all the time"

Actually, it makes complete sense ...... unless you are trying to convince yourself that it's totally a conscious choice.... although the salmon thing did make me scratch my head a bit.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 17, 2008, 03:26:59 PM

I think there are some here who need to "come out" to the board and get it over with?

Joe is one of the biggest pro-gay rights posters, and he as been married to his wife, Boris, for years now. 

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 17, 2008, 03:27:38 PM

THe difference is that animals are creatures of instincts and urges and humans have a large cerebral cortex in which they can control behavior.

Ah...but you see that depends on who you ask. Sigmund Freud for example believed the human was no different than an animal. That we are driven by two drives: "Sex" and "aggression". And these two drives make up the "Id" or the unconscious. The "ego" makes up the conscious and of reality. The ego works to satisfy the drives of the id. At this level humans and animals are no different. But humans have a more developed level of being which Freud called the "superego." which is basically a person's conscience that tells them what is right and wrong. We are born with the Id and the Ego. But the Superego is programmed into us by society and our parents during child development and the programmming we recieve are designed to suppress the drives of aggression. Society then refocuses the drives of sex to promote unification of society and create bonds. And this is what creates what Freud called a "civilized animal." And it is how we form civilization.

He gained a lot of influence from Darwin on these psychological theories. It's particularly why Freud believed the belief in religion was nothing more than a tool of society to force change on the superego which in turn promotes change (and control) in the individual.
So apply this to today's problem...for many many years, it was not a good idea to declare to society that you are a homosexual. That's why it wasn't seen all that much in the open and in public back in the day. The superego was programmed to suppress homosexuality. Today however it has gained more acceptance, therefore the power of society to influence the superego is reduced (society now accepts homosexuality) and that drive is now allowed to come into the ego.

But this is of course only one man's theory. And Freud himself stated that these ideas were just mostly his thinking and not based on research. But he is pretty much considered the father of psychology so his theories still do carry weight today.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#27 : May 17, 2008, 04:44:48 PM

Just because you'd like you believe that you were born that way, does not mean it is so.  It's ok man.

#28 : May 17, 2008, 04:48:11 PM

Just because you'd like you believe that you were born that way, does not mean it is so.  It's ok man.

How, exactly, do you know that people choose to be gay? Inside information?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 17, 2008, 04:53:11 PM

How, exactly, do you know that people choose to be gay? Inside information?

Runole told me.

I have yet to see a convincing argument as to it not being a choice.  And no, sorry, gay animals is not convincing to me.

Really, I don't give a rats ass.  I have a friend who is gay.  It does not bother me one bit thought he has never said he was born that way.....

If someone chooses to be gay that is their choice.  It does not impact me one bit and being a single heterosexual it is one less guy I need to compete with for women.   ;)
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Scientists: Homosexuality occurs in "hundreds" of species « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools