Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Allen holds all the cards in contract extension. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

#30 : May 17, 2008, 05:32:44 PM

I suppose the Pack should have locked up Samkon Gado after 05 then? After all, he had one opportunity and had 1 good year.

LOL.... can't argue with that post.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#31 : May 17, 2008, 05:33:22 PM

Be different if he were coming to workout and keeping his trap shut and working hard. It's difficult for me to back a guy who had one good year, is under contract, did little more than was expected of him, and now wants more money...

What?  He's come to work out and kept his trap shut every year.  He has had as many good years (one) as he has had opportunities.  And how can you possibly say he did "little more than was expected of him"?  Should we go back and pull all the doom and gloom threads from last year when our other backs were injured.  Who predicted he was going to step in and make this offense run smoother than it ever has under Gruden?  Of course he wants more money.  His current contract was for a 3rd stringer; when he got the opportunity last year he proved that he was more than that.

I suppose the Pack should have locked up Samkon Gado after 05 then?  After all, he had one opportunity and had 1 good year.  

:) - how very simmilar ... what about Grant for them this year?

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#32 : May 17, 2008, 05:34:17 PM

What? He's come to work out and kept his trap shut every year. He has had as many good years (one) as he has had opportunities. And how can you possibly say he did "little more than was expected of him"? Should we go back and pull all the doom and gloom threads from last year when our other backs were injured. Who predicted he was going to step in and make this offense run smoother than it ever has under Gruden? Of course he wants more money. His current contract was for a 3rd stringer; when he got the opportunity last year he proved that he was more than that.

Agreed!!

Even worst in my book that he's set a precedent by coming and doing what he was supposed to do when he was a schmuck, now because of his one year performance he's going to behave like a brat?  I'm still not buying it.  And let's be clear, I don't begrudge him the raise.  It's all about the way he's going about it.  I don't feel like one year gives you the right to jump up and down and demand more money when you're under contract...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#33 : May 17, 2008, 05:34:39 PM

Btown,

Thank you!

Chev,

Which he himself created and signed.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#34 : May 17, 2008, 05:35:22 PM

I suppose the Pack should have locked up Samkon Gado after 05 then? After all, he had one opportunity and had 1 good year.

LOL.... can't argue with that post.

It's a good point, but Gado wasn't a complete, 3-down back, showed fumbling problems, and didn't carry the offense for them like Graham did for us.

#35 : May 17, 2008, 05:38:18 PM

I don't feel like one year gives you the right to jump up and down and demand more money when you're under contract...

Even when you're making $600k... and you feel you're the best back on the roster?

It must have been quite a blow to him when they bring in Dunn AND pay him $3mil.

#36 : May 17, 2008, 05:39:51 PM

What? He's come to work out and kept his trap shut every year. He has had as many good years (one) as he has had opportunities. And how can you possibly say he did "little more than was expected of him"? Should we go back and pull all the doom and gloom threads from last year when our other backs were injured. Who predicted he was going to step in and make this offense run smoother than it ever has under Gruden? Of course he wants more money. His current contract was for a 3rd stringer; when he got the opportunity last year he proved that he was more than that.

Agreed!!

Even worst in my book that he's set a precedent by coming and doing what he was supposed to do when he was a schmuck, now because of his one year performance he's going to behave like a brat?  I'm still not buying it.  And let's be clear, I don't begrudge him the raise.  It's all about the way he's going about it.  I don't feel like one year gives you the right to jump up and down and demand more money when you're under contract...

What irks me the most about it is he's pushing it too early.  He's trying to get it done well before we normally do it -- same with Graham.  These things get done, and they should be showing some patience.  If we're starting TC and they still haven't gotten it, then maybe I can see a player talking about this stuff.  Graham has been here a while, and I'm more inclined to give him his, but he's been around here enough that he knows the drill.

I think the really big part of why this is happening is because DR feels like he's got fantastic leverage with both the nominal Starting QB and RB holding out.  He feels we need to do a deal or our whole O shuts down.  I think he overestimates their importance, and also that he played his hand too soon.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 17, 2008, 05:40:54 PM

Brad I think we're really disagreeing about something neither of us knows and that's the amount.  I totally agree with who Graham is and what he did.  I've never been his biggest fan, but he's not been a liability and really came through last year.  That said, dude can't weara ski mask at the table.  Bruce just ain't gonna let that happen.  Speculation says Drew R. is asking for more than we are willing to pay.  That is called negotiation.  Heck we don't even know what Bruce is offering.  I'm sure they have exchanged numbers we just don't know them and at the end of the day that will be the true debate...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#38 : May 17, 2008, 05:41:22 PM

Happens all the time in the NFL.

Nature of the beast.

Think about all the rookies.  You think Barber is going to happy with Talib"s $

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 17, 2008, 05:46:42 PM

I don't feel like one year gives you the right to jump up and down and demand more money when you're under contract...

Even when you're making $600k... and you feel you're the best back on the roster?

It must have been quite a blow to him when they bring in Dunn AND pay him $3mil.

He negotiated that brah!!!  Come on man.  You know you and I go rounds about this one too. LOL  Me and Bruce ain't gonna succumb to the ski mask and the water gun.  He has no leverage.  That's why we gave Dunn 3 mil or one reason, just in case he tried this crap.  Secondly so he'd have some competition.  You gotta have a real gun with a few bullets when you come at me and Bruce...ROFLMBAO!!! :o ;D

No matter how you break it down he's only done it one year.  Bruce and I ain't giving him middle grade running back money for one year.  We'll reward him with a bonus of some type or something like that, but a serious raise?  Come to camp and show me instead of acting like the best rb on this team be the best rb on this team.  Actions speak louder than words and his actions are showing me if I was going to give hm some money I'm not feeling so generious now that you wanna clown....

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 17, 2008, 05:56:19 PM

Brad I think we're really disagreeing about something neither of us knows and that's the amount.  I totally agree with who Graham is and what he did.  I've never been his biggest fan, but he's not been a liability and really came through last year.  That said, dude can't weara ski mask at the table.  Bruce just ain't gonna let that happen.  Speculation says Drew R. is asking for more than we are willing to pay.  That is called negotiation.  Heck we don't even know what Bruce is offering.  I'm sure they have exchanged numbers we just don't know them and at the end of the day that will be the true debate...

Good point about the amount.  I'm talking more about the principle I guess.  If he's asking for a reasonable deal, he deserves it.  But we all know BA is king of the extreme low-ball, so who knows what we are countering with.

#41 : May 17, 2008, 05:59:10 PM

He negotiated that brah!!!  Come on man.  You know you and I go rounds about this one too. LOL  Me and Bruce ain't gonna succumb to the ski mask and the water gun.  He has no leverage.  That's why we gave Dunn 3 mil or one reason, just in case he tried this crap.  Secondly so he'd have some competition.  You gotta have a real gun with a few bullets when you come at me and Bruce...ROFLMBAO!!! :o ;D

LOL.... yes we do.

Just had the same phone conversation with 4Bucs. Difference in Grahams case is that he negotiated his deal as the 3rd rb on the depth chart and special teams player and his situation changed dramatically. Garcia negotiated his as the starter and nothing has changed thus I don't see his reasoning behind his request for a raise and extension.

As you previously posted, maybe Graham did approach them with his ski mask and if he did that, he's outta line. But bumping him to the $2.5-3 mil range isn't outta the question in my eyes because he's better than our anointed "feature back".

Garcia? Screw that guy and any requested extension. As you stated about Dunn, I feel Griese was brought back here as leverage against these such shenanigans. If he wants to hold out at 38, God bless, and good riddance. We can get 13 tds from any # of qbs.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 17, 2008, 05:59:33 PM

Makes you think back to when Errict Rhett ruined his career.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#43 : May 17, 2008, 06:07:22 PM

Garcia is to old to hold out...but imo without him we have no chance at the playoffs...if both of their agents wake up and realize that Bruce is holding the hammer ...and both sign and are made happy ....a good pass rush a turnaround by Bryant and who knows what can happen...add a Taylor or a Coleman and we could make things very intresting.... even with out them.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#44 : May 17, 2008, 06:12:45 PM

4bucs, I think it would be crazy to give Garcia a TWO-YEAR extension.  Did you mean a new 2 year contract including 2008?  I could go for that if his 2009 payday was for backup money with incentives so you can reward him in case he is still the starter in 2009.

As far as Graham, I think he gave indication that he can be a quality back.  Reward him with an a base raise of maybe 1 million, raising him to a base of 1,600,000, but write in incentives so if he PROVES he is a top back, he will get paid more by his PRODUCTION.  This way you don't overpay him based on 10 games, but you write in the ability for him to EARN more.

I simply don't believe you give him 3 or 4 million based on 10 games, but I WOULD like to see him rewarded for what he did, and give him the FRAMEWORK to EARN significantly more than his base.

His main problem is that he had NO incentives in his contract for 2007, nor is there any in the contract for 2008, at present.

.....just my opinion
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Allen holds all the cards in contract extension. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools