Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs 13pt dogs vs Bears « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: December 12, 2006, 03:32:08 PM

How is it possible that that # is so low?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 12, 2006, 03:33:26 PM

Vegas.

#2 : December 12, 2006, 03:34:43 PM

Vegas.

??? ??? ???

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 12, 2006, 03:35:25 PM

Better won't bite on a spread that is too...high...but 13 is doable.

Given the nature of the Bears sporadic offense.

#4 : December 12, 2006, 03:36:56 PM

Bears -13? I'm all over that.... for entertainment purposed only!!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 12, 2006, 03:43:00 PM

That's about as big of a spread as you'll see in the NFL.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 12, 2006, 03:57:46 PM

Does that mean Bears 13, Bucs 0? Or are they going to find a way to make it Bears 10, Bucs -3?

In Verner We Trust

#7 : December 12, 2006, 04:15:26 PM

Bears were -18 vs the niners.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 12, 2006, 04:18:55 PM

New England Patriots -7 vs. Philadelphia Eagles

The better team, called the Favorite, is expected to win the game and must “give” or “lay” points to the weaker team. The favorite is listed with a minus sign and the number of points they are favored by (e.g., New England -7)

In the case of our example, New England must not only win the game, but they must win by more than 7 points for Pats bettors to have a winning ATS result. An Eagles bettor wins his bet either if:

Philly wins the actual game by any amount of points
OR

Philly loses the game by less than 7 points.
There was also the possibility that the final score could land exactly on the spread number (for example, the Pats winning 28-21 when -7), which is called a “push” or “no action” and a refund is then issued to bettors of both teams.

The same game with the same point spread can be considered from the weaker team’s perspective: The Underdog (Philly in the case of our example) is not expected to win the game and thus receives or “gets” points given by the stronger team. When a game is stated from the underdog’s perspective the team is listed with a plus sign and the number of points they are underdogs by:

Philadelphia Eagles +7 vs. New England Patriots

Keep in mind that Philadelphia +7 and New England -7 is the same point spread on the same game, simply stated differently. The first is from the underdog’s perspective; the later is from the favorite’s.

Hope that help you Jersey Buc Fan.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 12, 2006, 04:46:59 PM

13 points? That's it? I think it will be much worse than that. In fact, the more interesting bet would be Devin Hester +13 vs. the Bucs!

#10 : December 12, 2006, 04:54:20 PM

The better team, called the Favorite, is expected to win the game and must “give” or “lay” points to the weaker team.

Hey, Boid.  Not so much correcting, but...I've always looked at lines with interest specifically because they aren't based on the actual predicted outcome, but are more of a reflection of what Vegas perceives the public opinion will be.  Vegas will push the numbers as high as possible to keep "most" people still betting on the favorite's side.

Right?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 12, 2006, 05:01:26 PM

13 points? That's it? I think it will be much worse than that. In fact, the more interesting bet would be Devin Hester +13 vs. the Bucs!

I'd take it.  The Bucs simply have to hold Hester to nothing, and kick a FG to cover.  Or Hester has to return three kicks versus the Bucs...

That is ALL IN!  LOL!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 12, 2006, 05:05:34 PM

The better team, called the Favorite, is expected to win the game and must “give” or “lay” points to the weaker team.

Hey, Boid. Not so much correcting, but...I've always looked at lines with interest specifically because they aren't based on the actual predicted outcome, but are more of a reflection of what Vegas perceives the public opinion will be. Vegas will push the numbers as high as possible to keep "most" people still betting on the favorite's side.

Right?

Not so much just to bet on the Fave side, but to draw in as many people to the bet by keeping it "within reason".  I mean, if the spread gets too high, the odds of it happening are reduced, and the betters will jump all over it, or stay away.  And that is bad in both cases, because you aren't getting the income, or you are paying too many out to cover your loss.

It is about getting people INTO the action, so to speak.

TDTB

Second String

#13 : December 12, 2006, 05:05:51 PM

We suck that's why.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 12, 2006, 05:13:48 PM

If the Bears score more than 13 points, they will likely cover.   I don't see how we are going to score.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs 13pt dogs vs Bears « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools