Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SI: Keep systems simple for young QBs « previous next »
Page: 1

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: December 12, 2006, 04:06:10 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/12/12/comlex.nfl/index.html

Good article.  This caught my eye:
We laud today's offensive "gurus" for their brilliant game plans, their workaholic hours and their 800-page playbooks but we rarely ask the question of whether there can be too much of a good thing, if all this innovation doesn't overwhelm a young quarterback. Unless you're somebody like San Diego's Phillip Rivers or Dallas's Tony Romo, players who have had a few years to sit and learn, there's simply a lot for younger quarterbacks to digest, sometimes too much.

bucDsystem

Starter

#1 : December 12, 2006, 06:20:33 PM

excellent read... and i agree sometimes coaches can overcomplicate things for young QB's or any player

to win...you must envision victory -devise a plan -and then have the guts to destroy anything that stands in your way

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 12, 2006, 06:49:36 PM

Unfortunately Gruden is too stubborn to reform his Offense for Gradkowski.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 12, 2006, 07:47:39 PM

Unfortunately Gruden is too stubborn to reform his Offense for Gradkowski.

So you think Gruden is expecting Grads to know the entire playbook?  You think the plays aren't being tailored to what he does best on the practice field, combined with intimate knowledge of the roster and injuries, and who they are playing?  Really? 

Or do you think the jump from playing at MAC speed vs NFL speed might just be big jump for Grads to perform in less than 12 months, with almost 10 NFL games played.

I can't get over so many folks expecting Grads to make an impact of any type this year.  He is doing a lot right, but last year he was playing in the MAC for crying out loud.   Neither Gruden nor Grads can change that or accelerate his progress that freaking fast.  Of course, the is JMHO

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 12, 2006, 07:52:38 PM

I can't get over so many folks expecting Grads to make an impact of any type this year. 

With the play of our O-line I am surprised he isn't panicing and throwing the ball away more.  Grads doesn't have the arm strength to throw off his back foot, he needs a pocket to step into.  With a solid O-line and a year or two experience he has the ability to run a WCO pretty well IMO. 

Just get Garcia in next season and work on Grads and McCown.  If Gruden can right the ship with Garcia it buys him another year.   If Grads and McCown falter we can draft a QB in 2008.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 12, 2006, 08:06:17 PM

I agree completely MJS

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 12, 2006, 09:21:28 PM

I agree completely MJS

That was presuming Simms walks BTW.

watson

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 12, 2006, 09:26:58 PM

I can't get over so many folks expecting Grads to make an impact of any type this year. 

With the play of our O-line I am surprised he isn't panicing and throwing the ball away more. Grads doesn't have the arm strength to throw off his back foot, he needs a pocket to step into. With a solid O-line and a year or two experience he has the ability to run a WCO pretty well IMO.

Just get Garcia in next season and work on Grads and McCown. If Gruden can right the ship with Garcia it buys him another year. If Grads and McCown falter we can draft a QB in 2008.
Makes sense but is entirely too logical for many and it doesn't fit their agenda.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#8 : December 12, 2006, 10:56:52 PM

Maybe someone should get Jon a SI sub for Christmas.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 13, 2006, 04:39:36 PM

can someone send this to Gruden
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SI: Keep systems simple for young QBs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools