Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dunn doesn't want bit role « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

JC510

Practice Squad

: May 22, 2008, 02:02:02 PM

If you guys are happy with 10-20 yard gains when the beasts up front are parting the Red Sea then I don't know what to say.  When you look at plays like that you probably think it's a great play by Graham. When Gruden looks it at he knows it should have been a lot more than that.  We were one of only 5 teams that didn't have a run over 40 yards. With this line that's a joke.

Big plays win. Try to win 4 yards at a time without the defense playing great or getting turnovers and the Giants stomp you out of the playoffs.

What is wrong with consistent 10-20 yard gains from Graham? 

They need to be 30, 40 , 50 yard gains. The line and Askew opened up holes where anybody could have gotten 10-20 yards.

Dunn isn't giving you 30, 40, 50 yard gains consistently at this point his career either.  There is a reason why Norwood had longer runs than Dunn the last two years.   

Bucs had a chance to draft a homerun back that could grind out yards as well.  Mendenhall was there but decided to pass on him and you wonder why people still talk about the Bucs passing on Stephen Jackson?

I disagree on Dunn. Just because Dunn didn't have long runs last year and Norwood did, doesn't mean Dunn can't here. The reason Norwood had longs and Dunn didn't is because Norwood is faster, he's one of the fastest RBs in the league. That doesn't mean Dunn is slow. And he did have a 90 yarder in 2006. I think he's going to have multiple plays over 40 yards without even being the focal RB.

And I'm not sure the point you're trying to make with Mendenhall/Jackson. I don't know exactly why they didn't draft Jackson,  but it was probably because they had Clayton rated higher or thought WR was a bigger need. And they didn't draft Mendenhall (or any other back) because they believe in Cadillac.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 20, 2008, 12:43:19 PM

Dunn doesn't want bit role 
Posted: Sunday May 18, 2008 10:18AM ET
As Warrick Dunn came off the field at the Bucs' new training facility after an optional workout last week, it was clear that one important thing hasn't changed. He still wants to play and produce, and he has an unmistakable message for anyone who thinks the Bucs brought him here to be a spare part. "I would never consider myself a third-down back. It's not my mentality. I don't play the game that way," he said. "I don't think Coach Jon Gruden brought me here just to play on third down. He believes in me, and I just have to go out and prove it." He will get his chance.

*****I found the article on SI.com******
Tampa Tribune

Sounds like this could a message sent loud and clear to Graham.  Dunn is here and ready to play, so who cares if you do not show up.  It would be great to have both these guys on the roster and playing together.  I hope Graham gets into camp and works with Dunn soon. 

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 20, 2008, 12:58:14 PM

You know I want so badly for Earnest to be some great story but if he wants to have a fit, take a seat.  As a fan I'm more then prepared to go with the other guys that are here to play.

I think EG is getting poor advice. But if he runs out there and gets injured and never gets "his money" then my advice looks like it was crap so.... The one point I'd make is with my advice you're talking about a possible bad out come where as with his current track I have to think you're more like guaranteeing a bad result.  Tough, calls but good tough calls to have to make.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 20, 2008, 01:03:06 PM

Graham is getting bad advice. Between Bennett, Dunn, and Caddy (at some point)....there is no real pressure for the Bucs to overpay on anyone's salary at that position.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 20, 2008, 01:06:35 PM

Bruce Allen has all the leverage.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 20, 2008, 01:09:50 PM

Graham should get his bump in pay.  It might not be for what he wants yet but he still needs to prove himself.  He has the chance to look at one of the best all around RB's in the league and pick his brain.  His choice is to sit out and wait for his FRANK GORE money.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 20, 2008, 01:17:26 PM

I do not think any of us have the information needed to say if this is a bad move or not.  We do not know how much he wants, how much BA is offering, or how the negotiations are going.  I also think that it might be in Graham's best interest to not participate in voluntary workouts.  I am sure he will be keeping himself in shape and be ready for the mandatory ones.  However, last season Graham was more then happy to sign the $600,000/season contract so that he could be part of this team.  Just because he had one solid season as a starting RB doesn't mean he is a RB worth more then 1-2 mil.  He should consider a bump in pay a great thing and take advantage of his playing time next season to prove he can do it again.

I like the way Dunn is looking at this.  There is still a lot of fight in that little dog.  I just hope his body doesn't break down before his heart.  He never seems to take a hard hit so his size hasn't really been a concern.  Lets just hope he has a year or two left.  I would love having him work with Caddy.

fbickley

Hall of Famer
#7 : May 20, 2008, 01:26:27 PM

BEU, Dunn size is also an advantage in the life span of his knees.  he isn't throwing 220 around on those caps, so he may still have axels to keep going.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 20, 2008, 01:53:50 PM

If any of you feel the Bucs are comfortable with Dunn and Bennett at the RB position you must be crazy. The Bucs need EG badly, Caddy's not coming back anytime soon.

I tend to think EG holds the cards in this fight.

JC510

Practice Squad

#9 : May 20, 2008, 02:06:30 PM

If any of you feel the Bucs are comfortable with Dunn and Bennett at the RB position you must be crazy.

Bennett had 4.6 ypc with the Bucs last year. And Graham wasn't that great at the goal line either, yea he looks good when line opens its up, but he did get stuffed 4 times in a row from inside the 2 against Carolina.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 20, 2008, 02:12:37 PM

The Bucs need EG badly

The FO isn't as desperate as you appear to be.

#11 : May 20, 2008, 02:14:42 PM

I do not think any of us have the information needed to say if this is a bad move or not.

Bingo!!!!

#12 : May 20, 2008, 02:42:07 PM

Give EG a backup's extension, and add some nice incentives so that if he does prove to be the runner some think he is he gets his cheddar.

I really don't get the Graham thing.  He was definitely getting something this year, there was no doubt about that -- he's proven to be a solid backup.  So either he is asking for a ton, or he's just not happy waiting a couple of months.  In the past he's been a class act, it's a shame this is turning out like this.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#13 : May 20, 2008, 02:44:56 PM

I tend to think that if EG doesn't get an extension it's because we really do believe Caddy will be back before too long.  Why give a guy a 4 year extension for starter's money if you don't think he'll be the starter for most of that time?

#14 : May 20, 2008, 02:53:26 PM

I tend to think that if EG doesn't get an extension it's because we really do believe Caddy will be back before too long.  Why give a guy a 4 year extension for starter's money if you don't think he'll be the starter for most of that time?

I think it has more to do with EG than with Caddy.  EG is a marginally talented back.  I know a lot of fans want to believe he's a stud, but he's not.  He's Samkon Gado.  He can easily be replaced by half the FA's and unsigneds out there, or most any Rd3 or 4 back.  Sorry, but that's the truth of it.  Too many people are letting fandom blind their eyes to it, much like the mad Garcia love out there.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dunn doesn't want bit role « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools