Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dunn doesn't want bit role « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 20, 2008, 03:03:25 PM

If any of you feel the Bucs are comfortable with Dunn and Bennett at the RB position you must be crazy. The Bucs need EG badly, Caddy's not coming back anytime soon.

I tend to think EG holds the cards in this fight.

I do not think the Bucs are going into the season with just Dunn and Bennet.  Graham was an average back last season.  He is a good number two but that is it.  He hold no cards because there are many other RBs on the market if we do not already have an extra one on the roster.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#16 : May 20, 2008, 03:05:00 PM

I tend to think that if EG doesn't get an extension it's because we really do believe Caddy will be back before too long. Why give a guy a 4 year extension for starter's money if you don't think he'll be the starter for most of that time?

I think it has more to do with EG than with Caddy. EG is a marginally talented back. I know a lot of fans want to believe he's a stud, but he's not. He's Samkon Gado. He can easily be replaced by half the FA's and unsigneds out there, or most any Rd3 or 4 back. Sorry, but that's the truth of it. Too many people are letting fandom blind their eyes to it, much like the mad Garcia love out there.

I agree with that assesment.  But I also think he would get his extension if we really were in as dire of straights at RB as he seems to think.  The bottom line is we aren't.  We can go on without him if we need to.  

#17 : May 20, 2008, 03:29:06 PM

The Bucs need EG badly

The FO isn't as desperate as you appear to be.

Agreed...  Dunn, Bennett, Askew, Boyd, Smith and Darby.   Not a bad group.   (and I'm not saying they shouldn't pay EG)

Add caddy the second half of the season and EG is playing poker with a duece and five off suit. 

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 20, 2008, 04:17:57 PM

Boyd could surprise.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#19 : May 20, 2008, 04:25:51 PM

If any of you feel the Bucs are comfortable with Dunn and Bennett at the RB position you must be crazy. The Bucs need EG badly, Caddy's not coming back anytime soon.

I agree.

Bucs FO may be comfortable with Dunn and Bennett, but the coaching staff knows this team needs EG.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 20, 2008, 04:31:18 PM

I agree.

Bucs FO may be comfortable with Dunn and Bennett, but the coaching staff knows this team needs EG.

Tough for me to fathom that a 29 yr old RB who has had one very good year in the NFL "holds the cards" in any negotiation no matter what his name is.  JMO.  Especially if he has one year remaining on his contract.

You must be accountable for your actions!

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#21 : May 20, 2008, 04:38:33 PM

I agree.

Tough for me to fathom that a 29 yr old RB who has had one very good year in the NFL "holds the cards" in any negotiation no matter what his name is.  JMO.  Especially if he has one year remaining on his contract.

If you had told me this two years earlier I would have agreed with you.

But given the fact that Norwood outproduced Dunn running behind the same o-line in Hot Lanta, Bennett due to his injury history being relegated to merely a rotational player, and the fact fans are acting like Darby and Boyd are the next best thing since sliced bread....how is the Bucs FO operating from a position of strength?

Times change and Earnest Graham is the Bucs version of Chester Taylor.  Take away AP and Taylor from the Vikes and what do they have on offense?  The Bucs have Garcia and Graham.   Take away Graham and you are back to an all or nothing offense (assuming Galloway is healthy).

Graham  consistently grinded out yards by rushing and receiving which is paramount for the WCO in moving the chains and keeping the defense fresh.  Can Dunn provide consistent yardage and grind out 25+ carries?  Bennett is merely a change of pace back but there are question marks with his hands?

If the Bucs had decided to keep Pittman I would not be so concerned.  Then again I simply don't understand why people believe Dunn is a clear upgrade over Pittman when he clearly is not.

So can Dunn/Bennett even in a rotation last for a season given their ages?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 20, 2008, 05:06:25 PM

He can easily be replaced by half the FA's and unsigneds out there, or most any Rd3 or 4 back.

I completely disagree.  Our offense functioned better behind Graham than it has in Gruden's entire tenure.  It might be easy to find a slow back that can catch, but not a guy that consistently grinds out 4 yards every carry without going backwards like EG.

JC510

Practice Squad

#23 : May 20, 2008, 05:36:33 PM

He can easily be replaced by half the FA's and unsigneds out there, or most any Rd3 or 4 back.

I completely disagree.  Our offense functioned better behind Graham than it has in Gruden's entire tenure. 

http://www.buccaneers.com/team/playerdetail.aspx?player=Sears,Arron,78
http://www.buccaneers.com/team/playerdetail.aspx?player=Joseph,Davin,75
http://www.buccaneers.com/team/playerdetail.aspx?player=Trueblood,Jeremy,65

tonybug

Practice Squad

#24 : May 20, 2008, 05:43:36 PM

I just hope Graham does not become the new Errict Rhett....with all the bad advice!

#25 : May 20, 2008, 06:03:09 PM

I think it has more to do with EG than with Caddy. EG is a marginally talented back. I know a lot of fans want to believe he's a stud, but he's not. He's Samkon Gado. He can easily be replaced by half the FA's and unsigneds out there, or most any Rd3 or 4 back. Sorry, but that's the truth of it. Too many people are letting fandom blind their eyes to it, much like the mad Garcia love out there.

While I agree with your bewilderment over the Garcia love, we disagree about EG. I happen to feel he's a far better back than the guy that we drafted as our feature back... thus I feel he deserves to be compensated. Not an unGodly number, but something fair for both sides.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 20, 2008, 09:10:32 PM

The Bucs need EG badly

I feel they should be with whose in the fold. While you can't change your policy by position, EG was pretty damn good last year. He showed versatility and durability something that's been missing at that position.

#27 : May 20, 2008, 09:14:10 PM

The Bucs need EG badly

I feel they should be with whose in the fold. While you can't change your policy by position, EG was pretty damn good last year. He showed versatility and durability something that's been missing at that position.

Versatility and durability...... imagine if our #1 draft pick possessed those traits.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 20, 2008, 10:18:27 PM

I completely disagree. Our offense functioned better behind Graham than it has in Gruden's entire tenure.

http://www.buccaneers.com/team/playerdetail.aspx?player=Sears,Arron,78
http://www.buccaneers.com/team/playerdetail.aspx?player=Joseph,Davin,75
http://www.buccaneers.com/team/playerdetail.aspx?player=Trueblood,Jeremy,65

Running behind the same line, 43% of Caddy's carries were for 2 yards or less.  Graham's consistent yardage helped keep the chains moving and allowed more freedom in playcalling.  That's not even considering his receiving ability, which makes him even more valuable to the offense.

#29 : May 20, 2008, 10:42:06 PM

That's not even considering his receiving ability, which makes him even more valuable to the offense.

Especially when you have a dink and dunk mentallity like ours. Having a back that you can't dump the ball off too cripples our offense.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dunn doesn't want bit role « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools