Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Peter King - Mckay negotiated the Ryan deal « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 21, 2008, 04:23:23 PM

It's certainly interesting and coming from King it has weight. Mckay loves to throw out the dough to players.

Players love him, coaches and GM's hate him

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 21, 2008, 04:54:02 PM

Talk about negotiating from a position of weakness. The Falcon's were hamstrung from the word go on this one.

They had to have Ryan and he held them up for it. Could you imagine how ugly it could have gotten if Ryan had a protracted holdout?

The Falcon's had to bend over and take it to get him into camp on time.

goldengeese

Rookie
#17 : May 21, 2008, 08:58:13 PM

Zero free agent big signings? Is Jeff Faine a small signing, a medium sized one?

I don't understand why people think the Falcons were negotiating from a position of weakness. All clubs that draft in the top five are negotiating from a position of weakness. The Bucs needed to get Gaines Adams and Cadillac Williams into camp on time, and both were the first players signed in the top five in each of their respective years. How can paying Matt Ryan more than Jake Long two months before training camp make any sense?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#18 : May 21, 2008, 09:56:48 PM

I thought everyone said that McKay wasn't going to have anything to do with football operations any more. What happened to that one...I told you he's in charge. They just needed to settle down their fans. I'll be he had a lot to do with their draft again as well. Intelligent football minds know that McKay is one of the best front office people in the league. While we're choking all offseason with zero big free agent signings they once again took care of business, racked up draft picks, and are in the process of rebuilding their team. All the while we're having problems with our QB complaining to the media and our starting tailback might hold out. Yet you guys are laughing at McKay for getting the job done.

I love the people that tell us how good and how smart the Falcons organization is.  Priceless.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#19 : May 21, 2008, 10:21:03 PM

Peter King the slug....I wonder if he got RichieMacK a Big Mac for his troubles.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#20 : May 21, 2008, 10:57:11 PM

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 8 or 9 times, I must be Rich McKay.

Now that ^^^^^^^^ is funny...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Snook

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 22, 2008, 10:18:46 AM

I thought everyone said that McKay wasn't going to have anything to do with football operations any more. What happened to that one...I told you he's in charge. They just needed to settle down their fans. I'll be he had a lot to do with their draft again as well. Intelligent football minds know that McKay is one of the best front office people in the league. While we're choking all offseason with zero big free agent signings they once again took care of business, racked up draft picks, and are in the process of rebuilding their team. All the while we're having problems with our QB complaining to the media and our starting tailback might hold out. Yet you guys are laughing at McKay for getting the job done.

Hahahaha Is this post a joke?  "Once again"???  "Getting the job done"???  Are you serious?  Have you seen how pathetic the Falcons franchise is?  Especially since Rich McKay took over?

Go root for the Falcons.  You're pathetic.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 22, 2008, 10:30:33 AM

Intelligent football minds know that McKay is one of the best front office people in the league.

You are correct, and the Falcons 19 wins and 30 loss record over the past 3 seasons has proved that. Couple that with crippling yet another team's cap and dishing out $20M to a FB, yes, he's certainly one of the best front office people in the league. Did I mention that he was booted out from making FOOTBALL decisions last year?

I wish he was still drafting for them because it was bust after bust. Jenkins, Jimmy Williams, Anderson, and Hall isn't even on the team anymore, well done McKay. I appreciate the fact that you have ruined the Falcons.

The fact that he constructed the contract isn't making football and personnel decisions. He's on the business side now because of the piss poor drafting over the past 5 years. He's done nothing but hurt that franchise.

Bornabuc, please go back to the sandbox.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 22, 2008, 10:41:09 AM

You, too, can be a GM if you pay the 3rd pick this year more than the 1st the year before.

It sounds a lot like Ryan's agent called the Falcon's, threw out a huge number and McKay said, "done".

If Ryan plays very well it will look good. If he bombs or is just mediocre, he's the NFLPA's poster boy for a rookie cap.

Either way, Rich will be long gone....again.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 22, 2008, 10:46:28 AM

You, too, can be a GM if you pay the 3rd pick this year more than the 1st the year before.

The pick was a QB, which makes a huge difference.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 22, 2008, 10:53:32 AM

It sounds a lot like Ryan's agent called the Falcon's, threw out a huge number and McKay said, "done".

If Ryan plays very well it will look good. If he bombs or is just mediocre, he's the NFLPA's poster boy for a rookie cap.

Either way, Rich will be long gone....again.
2005 #1 overall pick Alex Smith 6 years $49.5 million overall w/ $24 million bonus
2006 #3 overall pick Vince Young 6 years $58 million overall w/ $26 million bonus

This happens every year.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 22, 2008, 10:54:45 AM

Hmmm...I wonder if Dimitroff hand cuffed or handicapped by McKay?...but if it was Dimitroff that was responsible for ANY of the 2007 Patriot draft, the Falcons and Blank got duped on an even bigger scale....

Incomparable sig by Incognito

cskapper

Starter
#27 : May 22, 2008, 11:08:25 AM

McKay is not the General Manager of the Falcons as some of you mentioned.  He is in fact the President.  Which allows him to negotiate but I believe it takes some decisions from him - like choosing players.  I'm not totally sure about his specific duties.

Here is some info from the press regarding the hastiness of the contract:

"The circumstances are always different when it comes to a player, and in Matt's case the research that Thomas did and Coach Smith did, they were extremely comfortable in Matt and what Matt stood for and what he's going to be for the long term," said team president Rich McKay, the Falcons' lead negotiator.

"I don't think there was any hesitancy because of the experience we just had."

Vick last year began a 23-month prison sentence after he confessed to bankrolling a dogfighting ring.

The Falcons' haste in finalizing the deal with Ryan received a boost when word leaked the NFL owners, who met Tuesday in Atlanta, were about to opt out of a labor deal with the players' union in 2011. Before the owners' unanimous vote, the deal could not have gone through 2013.

The Falcons and Ryan's agent, Tom Condon, already had agreed on six years as the basis for their deal, and to make that happen they needed to complete the negotiations by Tuesday.

"We couldn't have gotten a six-year contract if we didn't get this deal done by 4 today," Blank said.

"That was the urgency in getting it done today. The structure of the contract would not have been permissible because of the opt out."

McKay said he was involved in negotiations until 3 a.m. Tuesday and started again at 6 a.m.

Ryan is guaranteed $34.75 million. His guaranteed money is $4.75 million more than that given to Jake Long, the No. 1 overall choice who also is represented by Condon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 "Never argue with an idiot lest they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 22, 2008, 11:11:49 AM

If you choose to see it that way, ok.

This also affects Chris Long. With Ryan and Jake Long already signed his position is a little cloudy. Does he just say "split the difference", between Long and Ryan?

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 22, 2008, 11:16:16 AM

McKay is not the General Manager of the Falcons as some of you mentioned.  He is in fact the President.  Which allows him to negotiate but I believe it takes some decisions from him - like choosing players.  I'm not totally sure about his specific duties.

Here is some info from the press regarding the hastiness of the contract:

"The circumstances are always different when it comes to a player, and in Matt's case the research that Thomas did and Coach Smith did, they were extremely comfortable in Matt and what Matt stood for and what he's going to be for the long term," said team president Rich McKay, the Falcons' lead negotiator.

"I don't think there was any hesitancy because of the experience we just had."

Vick last year began a 23-month prison sentence after he confessed to bankrolling a dogfighting ring.

The Falcons' haste in finalizing the deal with Ryan received a boost when word leaked the NFL owners, who met Tuesday in Atlanta, were about to opt out of a labor deal with the players' union in 2011. Before the owners' unanimous vote, the deal could not have gone through 2013.

The Falcons and Ryan's agent, Tom Condon, already had agreed on six years as the basis for their deal, and to make that happen they needed to complete the negotiations by Tuesday.

"We couldn't have gotten a six-year contract if we didn't get this deal done by 4 today," Blank said.

"That was the urgency in getting it done today. The structure of the contract would not have been permissible because of the opt out."

McKay said he was involved in negotiations until 3 a.m. Tuesday and started again at 6 a.m.

Ryan is guaranteed $34.75 million. His guaranteed money is $4.75 million more than that given to Jake Long, the No. 1 overall choice who also is represented by Condon.

Good stuff there Chris.

If what Condon and the Falcon's FO are saying were true, don't you think you'd see a lot more 1st rounders signing today?

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Peter King - Mckay negotiated the Ryan deal « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools