Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With the 3rd pick in the 2007 NFL draft... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

watson

Hall of Famer
« #30 : December 13, 2006, 11:20:16 AM »

I agree that in the overall that is true.  But look at the last 10 SBs.....when FA was a more prevalent avenue for acquiring players....and you will see that the number is only 40 percent and of those, only 3 (Elway twice) was with the team that drafted them and since Elway was drafted by Baltimore and traded to Denver for Chris Hinton before he ever attended a single meeting with the Colts then I consider him as their draft choice.  And if you look at the last 5 SBs, the number declines to 20 percent.  My point is it is not a position you have to draft in round 1 to win a Super Bowl. 

If the Bucs draft a QB in round one, I'm OK with that, but I would rather see them get the O and D lines shored up.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Booger

Starter

« #31 : December 13, 2006, 11:26:18 AM »

David Carr was a #1 overall QB.  I would trade the Colts 2nd round pick for him.

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #32 : December 13, 2006, 11:28:12 AM »

I agree that in the overall that is true. But look at the last 10 SBs.....when FA was a more prevalent avenue for acquiring players....and you will see that the number is only 40 percent and of those, only 3 (Elway twice) was with the team that drafted them and since Elway was drafted by Baltimore and traded to Denver for Chris Hinton before he ever attended a single meeting with the Colts then I consider him as their draft choice. And if you look at the last 5 SBs, the number declines to 20 percent. My point is it is not a position you have to draft in round 1 to win a Super Bowl.

There was a reason I looked at things over a longer timeframe.  Looking at only the last five years, you wind up in a situation where three of the spots are filled by a single player.  A single, exceptional player skews the statistics greatly.  Sure, you can win a Superbowl with a sixth rounder ... if that sixth rounder happens to be named Tom Brady.

I agree that you don't HAVE to draft a qb in round 1 to win a Superbowl.  But looking at things, it seems clear that having a solid, talented quarterback is a very significant plus.  And the statistics bear out that while you certain CAN find solid, talented quarterbacks elsewhere, your best bet is the first round of the draft.

edit: and if you really want to look at the last 10 years, I see six different winning superbowl qbs in that timeframe.  Of those, 3 of them were first round selections, which is right in line with the 50% total since 1980.  And yes, one of those three was not a de facto draft selection of the team that went to the Superbowl with him.

alstott40

Pro Bowler

« #33 : December 13, 2006, 11:32:26 AM »

I'd not be shocked. This last week when he seems like he finally lost it a bit at his PC he went on about two things
1) The OL
2) QB

Like I said elsewhere, last time he really lost it he was talking about an rB and lo and behold we went and got one. Now QB and OL look to be his jones.

Thamk God someone has a brain

OL  first!

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #34 : December 13, 2006, 12:33:43 PM »

The Simms situation is everything. He signs and I think it takes QB of the board in round 1, practically speaking.

He goes, then we bring in a true grizzled vet to be the starter and stabilize the position, and draft a QB early.  I don't like Carr as an option - I certaintly wouldn't trade for him, and I don't think we need more guys that have just a handful of starts either.   

I think if Brohm and Russell come out there will be some good options. I'm in the minority probably after his poor season, but I think Drew Stanton might represent value - John L. Smith might be the worst coach in college football and I think it has hurt Stanton's development. He's got all the physical tools.   

If Russell's the guy, I think we are golden, because I've got to believe that some team is willing to trade up (and I think Russell can be had a bit later) for one of the following: Thomas, Quinn, C-Johnson, and Gaines Adams. We can't get enough picks as far as I'm concerned.

« #35 : December 13, 2006, 05:10:25 PM »

1st round QBs make your team closer to a Super Bowl, not further away. It is assumed all 1st round picks, regardless of position will get you closer to a Super Bowl than picking the same position in the 3rd round would. I think its common sense, that generally a guy picked in a higher round has a better chance of working out. Wouldnt make sense not to pick a QB round 1 because of some myth that 1st round QBs dont win Super Bowls. McNabb, Manning, Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Leftwhich, Alex Smith, Culpepper, Young, Cutler, Brees, Grossman, Palmer are all succesful QBs on successful teams and most of them have been in charge of Super Bowl contending teams within the past couple years. Leinart, Carr, Rodgers, and Losman havent had the success with their teams, but other than Rodgers the other 3 seem to have been succesful 1st round selections.

Tom Brady and Brad Johnson are not the rule. They were long shots who came out of nowhere. Should we wait until the 7th round to pick WRs now because of Marques COlston?

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

« #36 : December 13, 2006, 05:15:23 PM »

No way do the Bucs draft a QB or any offense with the first pick, that first pick (no matter where it is) will go to the defense, either a DT, an end or LB...my money is on the DT with a second round DE.

« #37 : December 13, 2006, 05:20:42 PM »

Why?

Booger

Starter

« #38 : December 13, 2006, 05:25:09 PM »

No way do the Bucs draft a QB or any offense with the first pick, that first pick (no matter where it is) will go to the defense, either a DT, an end or LB...my money is on the DT with a second round DE.

The Bucs are in a position to take the best available player regardless of position (minus RB).  Are you saying that your money is on the Bucs taking Alan Branch 3rd overall?

« #39 : December 13, 2006, 05:33:56 PM »

When the Bucs sign Adalius Thomas, Nick Harper and Gibril WIlson on March 1 I wonder if people will still be saying we must draft a LB in late april during the draft. Defense needs to be addressed but it can be done in FA much easier than reaching for a defensive player top 5.  I only see 1 true top 10 talent on defense. After Gaines Adams Im not sure there is a better player than Peterson, Johnson, Thomas, Quinn, Russell, Levi Brown, and Ginn. Im not so sure about the Branch and Hall from Michigan. Dont like PIt**CENSORED**. My next chopices ondefense would be Moses, Buster Davis and Patrick Willis and Im not sure any of them are top 10ers

boredomkills01

Pro Bowler

« #40 : December 13, 2006, 06:55:28 PM »

with all of these posts it looks as if you guys have the bucs slated for the 3rd spot....

who is to say that the bucs dont lose out and the Raydus pick up a win or two?
anyone else having trouble rooting for the bucs right now? lol

$$$

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #41 : December 13, 2006, 06:59:05 PM »

with all of these posts it looks as if you guys have the bucs slated for the 3rd spot....

who is to say that the bucs dont lose out and the Raydus pick up a win or two?
anyone else having trouble rooting for the bucs right now? lol

Even if the Raiders or Lions win one and we lose out they still pick ahead of us.  The only realistic way we move is if we win one and we move down.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #42 : December 13, 2006, 07:26:32 PM »

Not gonna root against the bucs, but I do root quietly for Faders and Lions, along with Arizona to win their games - just for their loving fans - smiling quietly as dbucfan plots....

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

VioLaTeD GaMiNG

Practice Squad

« #43 : December 14, 2006, 03:31:09 PM »

1st - C.Johnson (ATL) trade w/ OAK for Michael Vick  [banghead]
2nd - Joe Thomas (DET)
3rd - JaMarcus Russell  8)

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #44 : December 14, 2006, 03:41:33 PM »

Not gonna root against the bucs, but I do root quietly for Faders and Lions, along with Arizona to win their games - just for their loving fans - smiling quietly as dbucfan plots....

I consider wanting the Bucs to lose rooting for the Bucs. The best thing for this team now is to keep a high draft pick. It's at least important that we lose against the Browns. The other two games should be losses.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: With the 3rd pick in the 2007 NFL draft... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools