Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: At what point is Gruden's job in Jeopardy? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
: October 09, 2006, 04:29:07 PM

Don't get me wrong, guys. I am not a Gru-basher to say the least. Those of you who have read my posts and know me know I am one of Gruden's supporters. However, we all know the name of the game is money. And the Glazers aren't making money when we suck. This is the same management that fired Tony Dungy after a PLAYOFF game, I can't imagine they are pleased with what's happening and I'd have to imagine that they are getting pretty damn tired of the excuses.

So, if this team goes 0-6 or finishes up 2-14 will the Glazers begin to consider a coaching change?

Should they?

In my opinion, this team has too much talent to be this bad. Like all of us, I'm stunned by the 0-4 start. I'm even more stunned at the rapid decline of the defense (losing Marinelli was absolutely devestating to our D).

While, like all, I was excited and encouraged by the play of Grads -it comes down to winning - and if we can't win games, then I, for one, would not be shocked in the least to see Gruden go.

I don't want to see it, because I still believe deep down in my heart that Gruden is a good head coach, but the numbers are the numbers. As Bill Parcells always said, "You are what your record says you are" and if we go 2-14, I'm afraid Gru's record in Tampa Bay will speak for itself.

If the bottom falls out and the worst happens - we can only hope that it will not be the comedy of idiocy the last coaching search turned out to be. [banghead]

And please Glazers.....Step Away from the Mariucci.....

#1 : October 09, 2006, 04:32:07 PM

I say he stays PERIOD until there is a blockbuster winning coach available that wants to come here.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 09, 2006, 04:36:16 PM

After giving so much for the guy, basically mortgaging a part of the future on him, the Glazers won't give him up for at least a few more years.  I say if the losing seasons continue, he will have 2 more years tops.

Next year with some money, and probably a very very high first round draft pick (Not quite saying #1 overall, but it could be), I expect greatness, nothing more, nothing less.  If he stalls the team out again, he will be given the warning, and all will be watching him the following year...if that season goes, you can bid him adieu.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 09, 2006, 04:37:24 PM

No they shouldn't let him go and won't. Gruden is a very good HC and the only opinion that matters are the Glazers. Gruden has a great relationship with them and can't see them letting him go.

I love that Gruden is the HC of the Bucs, even at 0-4 I can say that. He is and has proven to be a top HC in this league and will continue to prove that. There have been some rough spots but all in all it's been a good tenure so far.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#4 : October 09, 2006, 04:42:02 PM

Actually, if Simms had stayed as QB and continued to play crap-like, Gruden probably will have lost his job at the end of season. With Gradkowski at the helm of the offense, and the great amounts of man-love the local media is giving him, Gruden is going to end up getting a second chance. Gradkowski at QB is making the offense resemble the Gannon led raiders and the local hype on him might get the fanbase to support the team even through losses. Gruden knows how to win and if the Glazeers let him go, they know that the team will have to have another rebuilding phase.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#5 : October 09, 2006, 04:46:10 PM

The only way Gruden loses his job is if he loses the players. At this point the players ares aying it is them that have F'ed it up and not the coaching staff. I stick by him until the leaders of this team give up on him.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 09, 2006, 04:46:27 PM

Boid, you make a vaild point. They mortgaged the franchise for him....they know that...but Sports isn't always fair. Even though they stripped him of the tools of being successful, hamstrung him with a horrible salary cap (well, that was more Mckay's doing than the Glazers, but I digress), and expected him to win games - it wouldn't surprise me to see him get blown out.

I think Gruden is a damn good ballcoach. I thought Dungy was a damn good coach....and they blew him out after a playoff game.

I'm just saying, it's all about the mighty peso for Glazers...and they aren't selling the merchandise or concessions when the stands are empty (as they will be this week, I guarantee) and the team is at the bottom of the division. They'll look for someone to blame...and typically that's the GM and the Coach.

Its not fair, but that's the games we play.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#7 : October 09, 2006, 04:49:01 PM

Injuries have really, reallly hurt us this year as well, if we could stay healthy  and have a few breaks we could of easily been 2-2 or 3-1 its just the brakes for us this year, we willl rebuild in the off-season and be a threat again next year, there is alot of promise inthe offense so far, and the defense will be easier to rebuild then the offfense was...

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 09, 2006, 04:53:10 PM

You will have some people who say his job will never be in jeopardy. You will have some people who say he should have been fired already. Personally, I don't think you fire a coach mid-season. I have never agreed with that move. After the season, I have no problem with seriously questioning a coach's ability, or lack of ability. Gruden's record with the Bucs in five years is 35-33. Dungy's was 55-42, and he was fired.  I am in no way beginning or adding onto a Dungy/Gruden issue. I'm just pointing out that people have been fired in Tampa Bay with winning records. However, as often as Dungy led the Bucs to the play-offs, he couldn't win the big one. Gruden has, and I think that is what drives many people into believing his job will always be secure here. I don't think Gruden has multiple opportunities to pick up the pieces and right the ship. I don't think any coach should have every opportunity to fix an already failing franchise. Sometimes, the right man's at the right place, and it's the right time. However, that right man can eventually turn into the wrong man at the wrong place, and it turns into the right time to part ways with him. Chicago fired Ditka. Ditka was a hell of a coach. He didn't turn sour overnight. It just wasn't his time to coach the Bears anymore. Gruden's still a good coach. If he parts ways with Tampa, I don't think it will be because he's a bad coach. A Bill Cowher in this league is rare these days.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#9 : October 09, 2006, 04:56:43 PM

Everyone has injuries. CAR's entire OL is a mess and they are 2-2. NYJ is down their top RB. NE is down their #2 CB, an OL or 2. Everyone has injuries and ours a rookie OG and our #2 CB should not be crippling.

i understand your point, but we have alot of youth and injuries never help when the backups aren't great....the defense has been the thorn in the side the season, its mistake after mistake and the haven't helped themselves at all with take-aways, we could easily have a different outlook on the season if it wasn't for a few things here or there...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 09, 2006, 04:57:38 PM

Everyone has injuries. CAR's entire OL is a mess and they are 2-2. NYJ is down their top RB. NE is down their #2 CB, an OL or 2. Everyone has injuries and ours a rookie OG and our #2 CB should not be crippling.

Having what appears to be cripples at times playing defense sure does hurt though.  Just saying is all... :-X

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 09, 2006, 04:58:50 PM

And if I wasn't right-handed, I'd be left-handed.  ;) It is what it is, and it's not good right now. You can make excuses for many things this season. If it was only this way, we'd be different. The fact is; you can't change what has happened this year. You can only stare at what you have, and that's an 0-4 football team right now. There is hope for the future, but the past can't be changed.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#12 : October 09, 2006, 05:00:28 PM

And if I wasn't right-handed, I'd be left-handed.  ;) It is what it is, and it's not good right now. You can make excuses for many things this season. If it was only this way, we'd be different. The fact is; you can't change what has happened this year. You can only stare at what you have, and that's an 0-4 football team right now. There is hope for the future, but the past can't be changed.

yes it can, i have a time machine i got out of my **CENSORED** jacks box  ;D ;)

BuccoJD

Starter

#13 : October 09, 2006, 05:19:20 PM

The same question could be said about Kiffin's job security...

The O has put us in position to win our last 2 games, but the defense (and ST) hasn't been able to close the door.

Bottom Line: Gruden and Kiffin will be here for a very long time (which is a good thing).

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 09, 2006, 05:28:40 PM

The same question could be said about Kiffin's job security...

The O has put us in position to win our last 2 games, but the defense (and ST) hasn't been able to close the door.

Bottom Line: Gruden and Kiffin will be here for a very long time (which is a good thing).

Excuse Kiffin for having an off year.  What?  Is this his first in like a decade now?  I think Kiffin has a few more years of doing "poorly", excuse me, before he has to worry about ever being scrutinized like that...sheesh.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: At what point is Gruden's job in Jeopardy? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools