Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: At what point is Gruden's job in Jeopardy? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 09, 2006, 05:30:21 PM

That is for you Bucco!

#16 : October 09, 2006, 05:37:57 PM

I think he only loses his job if the rest of this year gets even worse.  Like 0-16.  We've come close to beating good teams in the past two weeks.  We need to win a couple, though.

#17 : October 09, 2006, 05:39:42 PM

Boid

Agree with you that Kiff has earned his stripes my friend, but I am wondering if Kiff has had too much on his plate with the new coaches and all.

It could be as simple as age catching up with his D, but something has definitely taken a turn for the worse this year.

The tackling yesterday, once a staple with this unit, was horrendous.

BuccoJD

Starter

#18 : October 09, 2006, 05:40:56 PM

That is for you Bucco!

HA...I agree, but don't you ever think that losing all of his great assistant coaches is finally starting to catch up to him.

wiggumdk

Starter

#19 : October 09, 2006, 06:08:34 PM

Boid you are spot on! Couldn't agree more.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 09, 2006, 06:20:21 PM

To me, Gruden is in the league with Shanahan, Cowher, Holmgren, and maybe a few others where they may have some misteps, but you know they're one of the best and you're not likely to get someone better. Thinga have to go really bad to get rid of them.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#21 : October 09, 2006, 06:38:18 PM

Let's see. $8 million, 2 firsts, 2 seconds. One Super Bowl, one division championship. And 5-7, 7-7 and now 0-4. IMHO the Glazers are in this for the long term, know exactly where the Bucs are in retooling the offense/defense and feel that they have gotten a fair return on their investment. Gruden has a minimum of 3 years to rebuild this offense and defense. They just have to compete each week, like the past two weeks and give the fans hope for long term success. I honestly see that happening.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 09, 2006, 06:44:24 PM

Good post Rusty.    This thread is being posted WAY too early.    If we go 0-16 then it would be justified.   

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 09, 2006, 06:55:10 PM

It is interesting; the ones Feel Real Good mentioned. Shanahan, Holmgren, and Cowher have each been a head coach at least 14 years in this league (Cowher and Holmgren are in their 15th years, Shanahan is in his 14th). Gruden's not in the same league as them yet; in my opinion, but I think it has nearly everything to do with time. He's a young coach. He's only in his 9th year as a head coach. Whereas the three named coaches mentioned have all won over 100 games, Gruden has not even won 80. Again, that has a lot to do with time. Here's where I disagree with Feel Real Good. I'm not commenting on Gruden's ability as a good coach; I'm just not agreeing with him possibly being in the same boat as those other three coaches. In their first eight years (I did this because Gruden's in his ninth year), Cowher was 77-51; a .601 winning percentage. In Shanahan's first eight years, he was 72-44; a .621 winning percentage. Holmgren was 84-44; a .657 winning percentage. In Gruden's first eight years, he has been 73-55; a .570 winning percentage. You are welcome to check my math.  ;) I believe Gruden is a good coach, but I don't know if I'd throw him in that trio's boat just yet. I don't even know if I'd throw Cowher or Shanahan in the same boat as Holmgren either, but that's just my opinion.

Garv

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 09, 2006, 07:04:57 PM

He plays out his contract and is resigned. We HAVE our Noll, our Shula, our Landry. He's staying and we are going to win.
Anyone who wants off the bandwagon they may have jumped on some time after 1997 is WELCOME to jump off and follow the Steelers. PLEASE do.
Thanks and a hat tip and don't let the door slap you on the ASS!

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

#25 : October 09, 2006, 07:06:25 PM

Let's see. $8 million, 2 firsts, 2 seconds. One Super Bowl, one division championship. And 5-7, 7-7 and now 0-4. IMHO the Glazers are in this for the long term, know exactly where the Bucs are in retooling the offense/defense and feel that they have gotten a fair return on their investment. Gruden has a minimum of 3 years to rebuild this offense and defense. They just have to compete each week, like the past two weeks and give the fans hope for long term success. I honestly see that happening.
two division titles my man, but you right all the way

gone

Hall of Famer
#26 : October 09, 2006, 08:38:28 PM

Funny but Grads may have something to say about Gruden's future.  We all know Simms was Rich's Guy not Jons.  If the offense comes around with a QB that Jon wanted, it'll geve him even more cred in the "I got screwed by McKay" column.
But seriously, his job shouldn't be in jepoardy yet.  The Glazers aren't retarded, they know they hamstrung him with what they gave to get him.  And regardless of records, Dungy got the boot because he was given all the tools and couldn't get it done.  Jon was handed those tools and got it done.  The Glazers payed a lot for that trophy, paid in future mediocrity.  And they knew it, and thought it was worth it.  People seem to under-value those high round picks, and the Cap hell that McSnake left us.  Coaches can walk into an almost-done team and find the final piece in one year, see Indy (and they STILL can't get it done).  Its different to walk into a team that is so utterly devoid of talent on one side of the ball, with one or 2 incredibly overvalued players and a bunch of end-of-termers. 
They also knew they were moving to an O oriented philosophy which makes it even slower. 

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 09, 2006, 08:56:40 PM

He plays out his contract and is resigned. We HAVE our Noll, our Shula, our Landry. He's staying and we are going to win.
Anyone who wants off the bandwagon they may have jumped on some time after 1997 is WELCOME to jump off and follow the Steelers. PLEASE do.
Thanks and a hat tip and don't let the door slap you on the ASS!

You surely weren't comparing Gruden to those three, were you?  ;) I think Gruden's a good coach, but he's not above the system. He's not above being fired or stepping down. I don't think there are very many, if any, coaches in this league that deserve to continue to captain an obviously sinking ship. A few more losses, and Gruden will have lost more games than he won in Tampa. I am not calling for him to leave, but I can see why there are some people who are calling for that move.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#28 : October 09, 2006, 09:00:48 PM

No they shouldn't change coaches just because the record is 2-14. Missing the playoffs is missing the playoffs.  I like what Gruden is doing.  He's learning. He's building up the offense. Next the defense needs to be retooled.   They are building something.  We have coordination between scouting, GM and head coach and DC.  But Gruden make a couple bad calls so hey lets fire him!   A short term losing streak doesn't change what they are doing in the long run.  I would really like to see this thing through which may mean another three years of rebuilding. The Steelers have patience.  The Colts have patience.   Patience doesn't mean you don't get mad.  

Patience is getting mad but not getting stupid at the same time.

jsunm73

Pro Bowler

#29 : October 10, 2006, 12:49:24 AM

after next season maybe.we gave alot to get him here.plus we are just starting to devolop some young guys.that plus all this supposed free agents dough and high draft picks the team will have nowhere to go but up.after all that if we are not successful then his seat will get hot.due to simms injury and other stuff he will probably get a pass this year.i am still behind him and will continue to root for the team.regardless of how bad it gets you have to try to find a silver lining.go gruden,go bucs!
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: At what point is Gruden's job in Jeopardy? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools