Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Earnest Graham is Football Outsiders' 9th ranked fantasy player for 2008 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

: May 29, 2008, 12:32:25 PM

Quote from: Aaron Schatz
In the meantime, I wanted to spur some fantasy conversation — and get people excited for the book — by treating everyone to a sneak peak at this year’s KUBIAK fantasy football ratings. We’re feeling pretty good about these projections, especially because it turns out last year’s ratings were a lot more accurate than we thought. They weren’t as accurate as we wanted, but that was because it was a strange year, especially for running backs. Believe it or not, only three running backs ranked in the top ten for fantasy points in both 2006 and 2007: LaDainian Tomlinson, Brian Westbrook, and Frank Gore. A fourth running back ranked in the top dozen both years, Joseph Addai.

Do you remember who the top-rated players were in last year’s KUBIAK ratings? Yes, the top three players were Tomlinson, Westbrook, and Gore, with Addai ranked fourth.

Here are the top 25 players for 2008, based on value-based drafting principles for a 12-team league with 2 RB, 2 WR, and a flex, no PPR.

1 RB LaDainian Tomlinson SD
2 RB Brian Westbrook PHI
3 RB Adrian Peterson MIN
4 WR Randy Moss NE
5 RB Steven Jackson STL
6 RB Marshawn Lynch BUF
7 RB Joseph Addai IND
8 RB Maurice Jones-Drew JAC
9 RB Earnest Graham TB
10 QB Tom Brady NE
11 RB Ryan Grant GB
12 WR Terrell Owens DAL
13 RB Laurence Maroney NE
14 QB Peyton Manning IND
15 WR Reggie Wayne IND
16 WR Andre Johnson HOU
17 RB Larry Johnson KC
18 RB Clinton Portis WAS
19 RB Brandon Jacobs NYG
20 WR Plaxico Burress NYG
21 RB Darren McFadden OAK
22 RB Frank Gore SF
23 RB Marion Barber DAL
24 WR Marques Colston NO
25 RB Ronnie Brown MIA

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2008/05/27/extra-points/6306/

I don't care about fantasy football, but I find it interesting to see how someone who has no rooting interest in the Bucs views Graham.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#1 : May 29, 2008, 12:50:17 PM

I don't know a lot about FF rules and different leagues have different rules, but TDs and yardage factor into the scoring each week, that's the main premise.

EG is ranked pretty high, and even over TD/Yardage machines like Brady, Manning, Gore and Barber. That seems weird to me, my guess is that this guy is ranking them based off of potential. I mean ranking McFadden over Gore and Barber is plain crazy for a guy who is going to share carries and hasn't done a thing yet in the NFL.

#2 : May 29, 2008, 12:52:49 PM

I don't know a lot about FF rules and different leagues have different rules, but TDs and yardage factor into the scoring each week, that's the main premise.

EG is ranked pretty high, and even over TD/Yardage machines like Brady, Manning, Gore and Barber. That seems weird to me, my guess is that this guy is ranking them based off of potential. I mean ranking McFadden over Gore and Barber is plain crazy for a guy who is going to share carries and hasn't done a thing yet in the NFL.

You also factor in defenses a team will play during the year, so the list isn't necessarily a "who's best", but more of a "who has the best matchups".  That said, I think this guy is just working on the assumption that EG will be a true feature back and that we signed Bennet and Dunn because we wanted to throw some money away.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 29, 2008, 01:22:53 PM

That said, I think this guy is just working on the assumption that EG will be a true feature back and that we signed Bennet and Dunn because we wanted to throw some money away.
In my limited understanding of fantasy football, you get the most points for non-passing touchdowns, and while Dunn and Bennett may get some yards in the middle of the field, Graham is by far the best around the end zone. Dunn hasn't had more than 4 TD's in a season since 2004 and Bennett has only had more than 3 TD's in a season once in his 8 year career.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 29, 2008, 01:28:12 PM

That said, I think this guy is just working on the assumption that EG will be a true feature back and that we signed Bennet and Dunn because we wanted to throw some money away.
In my limited understanding of fantasy football, you get the most points for non-passing touchdowns

You get 6 points per TD, no matter running, receiving, or passing.  Some leagues have bonus points for long rushing, receiving, and passing TD's, but most are based on 6 point TD's.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 29, 2008, 01:34:01 PM

It is hard to argue against Graham's production in such a short time span.  It is not often a back could be so productive as a feature back in Gruden's offense you would have to go all the way back to Ricky Watters to draw any parallels.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 29, 2008, 02:07:42 PM

Graham is the best WCO RB on the roster, and it is in a landslide, which is why DR is taking such a stance.  He knows it, and hte Bucs know it. 

#7 : May 29, 2008, 02:21:42 PM

You get 6 points per TD, no matter running, receiving, or passing. Some leagues have bonus points for long rushing, receiving, and passing TD's, but most are based on 6 point TD's.

Not true. Most leagues only give 3 or 4 pts for passing tds which is why rbs typically go before Qbs.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 29, 2008, 02:26:17 PM

You get 6 points per TD, no matter running, receiving, or passing. Some leagues have bonus points for long rushing, receiving, and passing TD's, but most are based on 6 point TD's.

Not true. Most leagues only give 3 or 4 pts for passing tds which is why rbs typically go before Qbs.

true... my brother is inot fanatasy.. im gonn aget into it this year.. i had many questions for him.. rbs are worth more than qbs.. which is why rb's like EG are before tom brady.

i hope graham comes back soon.  i dont think dunn can do it.. and i think bennett can.. but we need at least 1 bruiser. imo... not much of a bruiser.. but he has will....

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#9 : May 29, 2008, 02:33:22 PM

Man, that is pretty high on Graham, a little too high. I dont know how FF works myself, but Tom Brady just threw for 50 TD's last year. Graham scored 10 TD's but I dont think he gets the same opportunities as the ones he had last season... Its still interesting

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 29, 2008, 02:36:46 PM

I won't be picking Graham that high.   I'll leave him for Hate.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 29, 2008, 02:38:18 PM

I won't be picking Graham that high. I'll leave him for Hate.

... hates gonna be stacked with rbs... LT,EG, and carnell?!?!?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 29, 2008, 02:42:49 PM

Who says he gets LT?   He can have EG and Carnell.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#13 : May 29, 2008, 02:52:00 PM

I've been playing fantasy sports since before they were popular, and I have never seen that type of scoring.  I'm sure it exists, but the basic format that CBS.Sportsline.com and ESPN.com uses is 6 points for all TD's.

Like I said, I'm sure the scoring you described exists, but don't think it's in the majority.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 29, 2008, 02:56:01 PM

http://football.about.com/od/fantasyfootball/a/fantasy101.htm

Scoring
There are variations in scoring systems, but many use the following system or something close to it:

A touchdown results in six points for the scoring player. If the touchdown is the result of a passing play, the quarterback is also awarded the same.

Like I said there are variations, but that seems to be the most popular.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Earnest Graham is Football Outsiders' 9th ranked fantasy player for 2008 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools