Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pats release Gabriel, Patrick, sign Phinisee « previous next »
Page: 1

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: December 13, 2006, 10:46:53 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2695621

Pats part ways with Gabriel after decline in productionAssociated Press

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots released Doug Gabriel from their struggling corps of wide receivers Tuesday after he caught just one pass in the last four games.

The team also made three practice squad moves, signing defensive back Justin Phinisee and safety Guss Scott and releasing cornerback James Patrick.

Gabriel was obtained from Oakland on Sept. 2 after the Patriots lost their top two wide receivers from last season. David Givens signed as a free agent with Tennessee and Deion Branch was traded to Seattle.

Gabriel didn't start the first three games but then started five of the next six before playing sparingly as a backup in the next four. His season took a drastic downturn in the ninth game after he lost a fumble in a 17-14 loss to the New York Jets. He had 24 catches in the Patriots' first nine games but only one in the last four. He finished with 25 catches for 344 yards and three touchdowns.

His release leaves the Patriots with four wide receivers -- Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown, Chad Jackson and Jabar Gaffney. Jackson has been hampered most of the season by a hamstring injury.

Phinisee, a seventh-round draft choice by Tampa Bay this year, was released from Kansas City's practice squad Nov. 7. Scott, a third-round pick of the Patriots in 2004, played five games for Houston before being released on Nov. 21. The Jets signed him two days later then released him on Nov. 29.

The Patriots had signed Patrick to their practice squad Nov. 1 after he was released by Tampa Bay.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 13, 2006, 10:48:51 AM

So they dumped former Buc James Patrick to get former Buc Phinisee

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 13, 2006, 03:51:32 PM

Gabriel is worth a look. 

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#3 : December 13, 2006, 04:23:56 PM

I like Gabriel at WR. He's a speedster and has nice size. The problem is that he drops a lot of balls though and thats the last thing this team needs.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 13, 2006, 04:33:58 PM

There's more with Gabriel than that. OAK traded him after the problems with Porter so they were a team that needed a WR and they dealt him. NE is a team with WR needs out the ying-yang and they have now cut him. Dropping a few balls or fumbling isn't the only thing you have to do to get booted off the roster.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#5 : December 13, 2006, 04:37:19 PM

Im schocked Gabriel was released.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 14, 2006, 12:34:57 AM

I wanna see Phinisee play... guy was on KC PS last i heard... looks like he will get a chance. I thought Patrick was ok.

BP1

Pro Bowler

#7 : December 14, 2006, 12:50:35 AM

I like Gabriel at WR. He's a speedster and has nice size. The problem is that he drops a lot of balls though and thats the last thing this team needs.

Sounds like Edel to me.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 14, 2006, 09:09:15 AM

There's more with Gabriel than that. OAK traded him after the problems with Porter so they were a team that needed a WR and they dealt him. NE is a team with WR needs out the ying-yang and they have now cut him. Dropping a few balls or fumbling isn't the only thing you have to do to get booted off the roster.

Raiders | Gabriel claimed off waivers
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:15:13 -0800

ESPNews reports the Oakland Raiders have claimed free agent WR Doug Gabriel (Patriots) off waivers.

Maybe OAK felt he wasn't so bad after all?  Maybe just insurance against losing Moss and Porter next year.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 14, 2006, 09:37:26 AM

A draft pick and obtaining Gabriel back?  Nice deal. o.O

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 14, 2006, 09:50:46 AM

Maybe OAK felt he wasn't so bad after all?  Maybe just insurance against losing Moss and Porter next year.

See I was thinking he must have been a locker room problem or something not on the field but if OAK takes him back mayabe it was just drops and fumbles. Man, if that's the case Bellicheck would have cut our entire WR corps.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pats release Gabriel, Patrick, sign Phinisee « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools