Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ok lets say Gruden is still here next year « previous next »
Page: 1 2

#15 : December 13, 2006, 02:06:52 PM

gruden can't take another sub-.500 season, and his young offensive draft picks in particular need to perform to bail him out...even though i think the defense will bounce back, i think it might get a bit of a pass, even if they reload with high draft picks and good FAs.

why do you think this current defense will bounce back?

it is time to re-build...

I think the situation here is similar to Baltimore a few years ago. Superbowl win a long time ago mostly because of dominating defense. However the team really has never matched the same level since. There were some key losses on the D-line that had made the Linebackers and secondary exposed even with perrenial pro bowlers back there defending the WR. They have experienced and very talented linebackers however without a potent DL they are marginal.  The coach is labeled an offensive genius and the fans since their superbowl win in early 2000 have never bought in to that because he could never settle on a QB and the one he had was a journeyman to be replace by another journeyman after that didnt workhe drafted the "Perfect QB" for his offense which never really materialized.

They went DL this draft because Ray Lewis spouted off and then picked up a veteren QB that is a game manager and look at them now. Lets see if we follow this blueprint.

Like I have always said Its not the coach, its not the system, its not the age of the defense...its all about how your players play

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 13, 2006, 02:18:47 PM

I think what he has to do is significantly improve the offense with most of the young players we already have.  I mention the young players because no one will fall for an improvement that is based on guys who are only 2 years from retirement.  Clayton and Caddy need to rebound in a big way, Galloway has to stay healthy and fast, and the young guys on the line need to keep improving according to how 2nd year players are supposed to improve.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#17 : December 13, 2006, 02:20:42 PM

1. Offensive growth: You need to see substantive progress over where he's been. The problem is progress from this years pathetic offense just gets us back to the other terrible offenses he's helmed here so you have to go above and beyond that.

2. Development of youth. A lot of this will go towards #1. This organization has to look at day 1 picks like Caddy, Clayton, Joseph, Trueblood, Smith and see them justifying their selection. If these players continue to fail then it obviously calls into question his ability to properly evaluate and/or develop talent.

3. Win and Losses: Got to get back to 500. In the end, excuses are excuses and he's paid to get this team to win games.
Good answer. I think the Glazers need to see improvements that show the team is moving in the right direction.  I don't think there is a specific record, but they should have an easier schedule and they should be able to show some results on the scoreboard. So if I had to pick a minimum record I'd say 8-8.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 13, 2006, 02:53:36 PM

gruden can't take another sub-.500 season, and his young offensive draft picks in particular need to perform to bail him out...even though i think the defense will bounce back, i think it might get a bit of a pass, even if they reload with high draft picks and good FAs.

sorry, i should have been more clear, i think the defense will be reloaded, and as a result, bounce back.  what i meant to say was that even if we do reload with 3 or 4 good players, i think the defense will get a pass even if it's not top 10 or so, especially since we might have up to 3 new assistants next year (barry gone, possibly one or both new guys).  i think there's more pressure to show progress on the offensive side of the ball, and for caddy, clayton, stovall, and the young OL to prove that gruden is on the right track building the offense, and that he knows what he's doing on draft day.

wins and losses are the ultimate measure, and a losing '07 would likely put gruden below .500 after 100 games as a bucs coach, and unless the offense and his draft picks show real signs of coming around and prove that "his" team is capable of winning a championship down the line, any close call will go against him

#19 : December 13, 2006, 02:57:55 PM

oh  I can imagine that show..."Why don't you run Mike?" "Run Mike." "What happened to that versatile wide reciever / safety/ deity named Larry Brackins?"

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#20 : December 13, 2006, 03:17:30 PM

I think that if the offense shows some signs of life next year and were on the road to having a dominant offense next year then hell be back the following year regardless of how they finish. if they dont i think he has to make to playoffs for him to be back the following year.

gone

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 13, 2006, 03:57:49 PM

As DTG noted, the plan has long been for 2007 to be the year the cap is cleared up. While it's tough to sit here as fans and watch this, from a business pov you have to hang tough sometimes.  You've got a coach with a pretty good track record, and had horrible circumstances that you knew would take years to fix.  Just this year should not be the determining factor.  And I know people get all "3 losing in 4" yada yada yada, but there are circumstances that affect that.  This league is designed around parity, and when you give up so much to get an edge for a few years, eventually you have to pay that back for a few, and often with interest...

Grudens_Flame

Second String

#22 : December 13, 2006, 04:28:52 PM

What will he have to do to keep his job and possibly get aother year/extension after 2007?

Win a superbowl?
Win a playoff game?
Win the division?
8-8?
Show progress?

IMO I think we have to at min be a 8-8 team next year for hm to keep his job in 2008 and/or get a contact extension. This will show improvement and that we are "rebuilding"

If he has a large number of new players (which he will) then he can be pardoned for something like a 2-6 start....but in the second half of next season (when the newbies and rooks start to click) they better be as hot as hell's flames ( ala the Titans this year) and finish out 6-2 if he expects to keep his job in 2008. That would put us at 8-8 and he would stay!

Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.  - Julius (Remember the Titans)

Shag

Pro Bowler

#23 : December 13, 2006, 04:39:08 PM

There's no bounce back for the defense. The pass rush is pathetic and has been all year. We need to get rid of Rice and his huge salary along with Spires and Quarles, even though he's still playing decent. Rebuild and get some high draft picks over the next few years that can learn to play together, like we already have on offense.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#24 : December 13, 2006, 07:55:09 PM

If he doesn't get fired for this season he will serve out his remaining years on his contract, whether or not he shows improvement.

Bucnation619

Second String

#25 : December 13, 2006, 09:12:20 PM

win playoff next years!!

#26 : December 13, 2006, 09:21:16 PM

win playoff next years!!
as in win in the playoffs, get to the playoffs, or win the SB?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 13, 2006, 11:50:07 PM

I think he is being a goof just to be a goof.

I mean...I kind of have that feeling...LOL!

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#28 : December 14, 2006, 12:02:19 AM

Get a better evaluator of talent & someone who deals better with personnel.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ok lets say Gruden is still here next year « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools