Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Titans « previous next »
Page: 1

bucfn126

Second String
« : December 13, 2006, 02:06:33 PM »

The Titans should be a sign of encouragement for Bucs fans.They have been rebuilding for the past five years because they were in salary cap hell. They had to get rid of some players that were fan favorites and also made some questionable personel moves. This also is the first season in a long while that they will have money to spend in free agency. They stood by their coach and are now one of the hottest teams in the NFL.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #1 : December 13, 2006, 03:32:27 PM »

I couldnt agree with this more. Also their coach never won a superbowl.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #2 : December 13, 2006, 03:39:19 PM »

It does not take five years to rebuild.  The reason it has taken the Titans and 49ers so long is they have had to undergo two rebuilding periods in a short time span due to poor cap management.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

« #3 : December 13, 2006, 03:43:04 PM »

They also made a bold move taking Vince Young and that obviously was a great pick.  Without him they're nowhere right now.

XXXVII Champs

Second String

« #4 : December 13, 2006, 03:54:36 PM »

Apples and oranges. Two different organizations compirsed of different people.  Their needs, methods, resources and thought processes are probably different also.  I would hope that the Bucs organization would look at organizations that have historically done well and learn from those organizations on what they do to win.  It may take some pride swallowing or rethinking of the way business (on and off the field) is conducted.  I believe the Bucs have the brains, ability, and much of the tallent needd  to turn things around, but are they smart enough to see what is right in front of them?

shall555

Starter

« #5 : December 13, 2006, 04:07:43 PM »

Apples and oranges. Two different organizations compirsed of different people. Their needs, methods, resources and thought processes are probably different also. I would hope that the Bucs organization would look at organizations that have historically done well and learn from those organizations on what they do to win. It may take some pride swallowing or rethinking of the way business (on and off the field) is conducted. I believe the Bucs have the brains, ability, and much of the tallent needd to turn things around, but are they smart enough to see what is right in front of them?

I don't know about that one. In fact, during the Dungy years, Tennessee was probably the closest thing to being a sister city if there ever was one. They were the definition of playing 'Bucball'. Tough defense, physical rushing attack, winning games by a FG. They were the AFC version of us in the mid to late 90s. The only difference between us, is our salary cap hell came at  a later time than theirs. Floyd Reese was very similar in draft philosophy and free agency to McKay, which would explain their poor cap management. The philosophies diverged when GruAllen came to power.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
« #6 : December 13, 2006, 05:57:28 PM »

They also made a bold move taking Vince Young and that obviously was a great pick. Without him they're nowhere right now.

So far it seems like a great pick, yes. But, we'll have to wait  year or 2 to evaluate the pick conclusively.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future.” - Josh Freeman

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
« #7 : December 13, 2006, 05:58:31 PM »

They also made a bold move taking Vince Young and that obviously was a great pick. Without him they're nowhere right now.

So far it seems like a great pick, yes. But, we'll have to wait a year or 2 to evaluate the pick conclusively.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future.” - Josh Freeman

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 13, 2006, 06:46:41 PM »

Apples and oranges. Two different organizations compirsed of different people. Their needs, methods, resources and thought processes are probably different also. I would hope that the Bucs organization would look at organizations that have historically done well and learn from those organizations on what they do to win. It may take some pride swallowing or rethinking of the way business (on and off the field) is conducted. I believe the Bucs have the brains, ability, and much of the tallent needd to turn things around, but are they smart enough to see what is right in front of them?

I don't know about that one. In fact, during the Dungy years, Tennessee was probably the closest thing to being a sister city if there ever was one. They were the definition of playing 'Bucball'. Tough defense, physical rushing attack, winning games by a FG. They were the AFC version of us in the mid to late 90s. The only difference between us, is our salary cap hell came at  a later time than theirs. Floyd Reese was very similar in draft philosophy and free agency to McKay, which would explain their poor cap management. The philosophies diverged when GruAllen came to power.

The divergence in philosophies is also evident in the approach to the "salary cap hell".  Tennessee made bold moves and cut many high salary players to rebuild, while the Bucs tried (apparantly) to hold onto as many of the players as possible, while clearing cap in future years.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #9 : December 13, 2006, 06:51:46 PM »

The divergence in philosophies is also evident in the approach to the "salary cap hell".  Tennessee made bold moves and cut many high salary players to rebuild, while the Bucs tried (apparantly) to hold onto as many of the players as possible, while clearing cap in future years.

Correct.  But after they were out of cap jail they screwed up and as a result found themselves back in cap jail and forced to blow up the team again.

The 49ers did the same thing by starting from scratch.  Mooch had a young team and it looked that they turned the corner after rebuilding.  But the 49ers made two mistakes in giving TO and Garcia those mega signing bonuses along with roster bonuses and restructuring.  Basically they had to go into a second rebuilding mode and as a result lost a lot of the young players they accumulated from the first rebuilding period (Winborn, Peterson, Lloyd, etc).

The Ravens blew up their team but have not had to undergo another rebuilding period since then in a short time span like those two mentioned above becuase they have been fiscally responsible.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

« #10 : December 13, 2006, 11:35:14 PM »

The difference with the Bucs is they had to refinance their orirginal mortgage because they traded away most of the decent picks couple that with McKAys never ending 1st round busts in Walker (well at least he started for some time-- wasn't all that good and sure wasn't worth the picks), Odom, Green, Anthony, the trade for Coleman, then add the 2 for KJ, and the Glazers 4 for Gruden. It is hard to beleive in all that time only Alstoot and Dunn panned out for the offense and became keys. The rest of his offensive picks were pretty bad. No wonder they had to reup what they had-- they had nothing in the pipeline.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #11 : December 14, 2006, 12:13:01 AM »

Notice the Titans are turning the corner with a franchise QB......

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #12 : December 14, 2006, 06:48:50 AM »

Notice the Titans are turning the corner with a franchise QB......

Notice the Jaguars are turning the corner with a oh wait.....
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Titans « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools