Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hillsborough County to be home of the "World's Largest" Confederate Flag? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 16

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 02, 2008, 12:53:35 PM

are losing the iraq conflict

This is an unsubstantiated and pathetic left-wing wacko opinion.

maybe I should have phrased that better...

we aren't really winning the iraq war...  that better?

winning and losing, who can truely tell?

btw, I am far from a left wing whacko...  not even close actually.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 02, 2008, 12:56:33 PM

Thing is, several of the founding fathers would have supported the Confederacy. The union was growing too strong which would have upset guys like Thomas Jefferson. Slavery would be a backburner issue to them. To the founders, they would be concerned with the idea that the federal government was forcing the states to do something they clearly didnt want to do.

It was also about taxes. The seeds of the war were layed in the 1830s when President Andrew Jackson tried to force a tax on the states. When the governor of South Carolina refused and claimed Jackson had no such authority, Jackson became enraged and threatened to send federal soldiers down to Charleston and remove the governor. The VP John Calhoun worked out a compromise. But things just started to get worse and worse. Slavery wasnt really added to the debate until the late 1850s.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#17 : June 02, 2008, 01:06:21 PM

May as well be with that location...That's easily the busiest intersection in the city

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 02, 2008, 01:02:39 PM

So basically we want to celebrate people who wanted to annex themselves from the freedoms and priviledges we so love today?   We want to remember people who wanted to leave the United States and create their own slice of hatred and ill will towards others not in their race?  So we take a huge flag and allow it to fly over the city?  

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#19 : June 02, 2008, 01:04:47 PM

Um...I-4 and I-75 = not over the city

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 02, 2008, 01:10:43 PM

The confederate flag is not a symbol of racism.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 02, 2008, 01:11:12 PM

Thing is, several of the founding fathers would have supported the Confederacy. The union was growing too strong which would have upset guys like Thomas Jefferson. Slavery would be a backburner issue to them. To the founders, they would be concerned with the idea that the federal government was forcing the states to do something they clearly didnt want to do.

It was also about taxes. The seeds of the war were layed in the 1830s when President Andrew Jackson tried to force a tax on the states. When the governor of South Carolina refused and claimed Jackson had no such authority, Jackson became enraged and threatened to send federal soldiers down to Charleston and remove the governor. The VP John Calhoun worked out a compromise. This eventually lead to the so-called "tariffs of abomination." And things just started to get worse and worse. Slavery wasnt really added to the debate until the late 1850s.

Its good to see some people still know our country's history.  Thanks, cyberdude.  Good post.

The argument of how much control our federal government should have has existed since day one in this country.  Even today people still debate it.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#22 : June 02, 2008, 01:12:20 PM

Maybe not to you...

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 02, 2008, 01:13:57 PM

opinion

Snook

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 02, 2008, 01:15:06 PM

Have to disagree with you here.  Unfortunately, overall ignorance of history and racist rednecks misusing it over the years has turned it into something that it originally wasn't intended.

That's why they should use the First National Flag of the Confederacy instead. 

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#25 : June 02, 2008, 01:16:31 PM

we aren't really winning the iraq war...� that better?

btw, I am far from a left wing whacko...  not even close actually.

Nah, anybody who disagrees with him is a left wing whacko. That's his usual comeback. That happens
when you're 23 and doing too many stomach rolls each day. Cuts off the blood supply to the brain.

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#26 : June 02, 2008, 01:17:36 PM

Maybe not to you...

OR 'Lil Jon and The Eastside Boyz when dey are reppin' thier hood in the ATL...

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#27 : June 02, 2008, 01:20:01 PM

rap does a lot of things to make african americans look bad, this is no surprise.

although, you will notice that the flags are burning in the background...

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 02, 2008, 01:21:30 PM

Has no one ever been to the beach and seen some hottie in a confederate flag bikini? Its not that uncommon.

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#29 : June 02, 2008, 01:29:13 PM

we aren't really winning the iraq war...� that better?

btw, I am far from a left wing whacko...  not even close actually.

Nah, anybody who disagrees with him is a left wing whacko. That's his usual comeback. That happens
when you're 23 and doing too many stomach rolls each day. Cuts off the blood supply to the brain.

Actually Joe, I didn't call him a left wing wacko, I called the opinion he made unsubstantiated and pathetic left-wing wacko. Sorry Trubo, I too could have described what I meant a little better.

But in your case Joe, yea, I've called you a Liberal WackJob because you are one and it's funny that in the 50 or so times I've called you that, you've never denied it.

and this is the second time you've said something critical about wieght training and core workouts. I'm sorry I work out for it's health benefits. I quit smoking on April 1st and haven't smoked since? FYI, I smoked since I was 14 years old (11 years) and I have changed my lifestyle drastically for the better recently. But yea, continue to make silly and sarcastic comments about it. You haven't a clue my friend. Jackass.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hillsborough County to be home of the "World's Largest" Confederate Flag? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools