Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If I were GM(long read) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Badabingnrt

Starter

: December 13, 2006, 04:56:06 PM

I did one of these a few weeks ago.  However, things change very shortly in the NFL, so have to continuously update views from week to week.  First of all, I would keep Jon Gruden and Monte Kiffin around for at least another year.  As I always dont agree with Gruden's play calling, you can not fault him for this year.  I don't know of a coach in the NFL that would have this team winning.

QB(3): Jake Plummer(UFA), Bruce Gradkowski, Luke McCown

-I would let both Tim Rattay and Chris Simms go in free agency.  Simms fell flat on his face with a whole off-season to prepare as the full time starter.  My guess is that opposing teams got to see more tape of him, which is the same thing many Grads haters say about him.  It's true for both parties, but I keep Grads giving him the benefit of the doubt since he is a rookie.  Would also maintain Luke on the roster since hes been the system for a few years now.  I like Jake Plummer and he will be released with the Broncos decision to go with Cutler and Plummers high cap number.  I would sign him, with his ability to scramble and win football games.  He would come in as the starter and give Grads that rookie year he was supposed to have holding the clip board and learning.

RB(5): Cadillac Williams, Michael Pittman, Earnest Graham, FB Brian Leonard(3rd round pick/Rutgers), FB Jerald Sowell

-Many don't give players time.  Cadillac is the real deal and will be awesome with a decent passing attack and upgraded play on the line.  The reason he has struggled this year is the lack of carries and most importantly, opposing teams stacking the box due to the Bucs inablility to pass.  Pittman is still a quality back.  The Bucs have just re-signed Graham, so I'm going to try and be realistic and keep him.  I originally was going to sign Buckhalter with his fresh legs due to him being injured all the time.  However, I'll keep both Graham and Sowell for depth.  With Alstott expected to retire, I say we just finish the deal and sign the "Alstott" of the future.

WR(9): Joey Galloway, Calvin Johnson(1st round/GA Tech), Michael Clayton, Maurice Stovall, Ike Hilliard, Paris Warren, TE Alex Smith, TE Anthony Becht, TE Doug Jolley

-I know many want Brady Quinn or Joe Thomas here, but I'm going with my man Calvin Johnson.  He is going to be great and I have him starting right away opposite Galloway for next year.  I haven't given up on Clayton just yet, but I don't think he will be that #1 we hoped.  I still think he makes a decent #2 and Stovall would be awesome in the slot.  After next year, if Galloway decides not to retire, I say we get rid of him to see how our trio of young receivers works out.  CJ and Clayton starting with Stovall in the slot.  I like our TE situation and hope that Alex Smith continues to progress as the starter.

OT(4): Jeremy Trueblood, Roman Oben(UFA), Anthony Davis, Cornell Green

-I like Jeremy Trueblood and hope he can anchor one of our tackle positions for years to come.  I also like Davis for depth but feel we need to upgrade our LT position.  Roman Oben has been on the team before and with the Chargers already having McNeill and Olivea at tackle, I expect Oben to walk giving us a clear shot at him.  He is getting up their in age and maybe we can get him for a bargain.  He can be a quick stop gap until another draft were we can address the tackle position.  Also cut ties with Walker.

OG(4): Davin Joseph, Dan Buenning, Jeb Terry, Sean Mahan

-I think we have found our duo of the future in the middle with both Joseph and Buenning.  I like Terry and Mahan providing depth.  Mahan will challange for starting center job.  He played well there when Wade miss significant time a few years ago.

C(1): Kyle Young(4th round/Fresno State)

-John Wade has been consistant to say the least, but I'm continueing the rebuilding process.  Kyle Young is going to drop.  I know I know, every year there are 300 players projected to go in the first round, but it never happens.  Theres always like 10-20 players that drop significantly.  I see us knabbing him and him being the only listed center.  Mahan should go in as starter, but if Young impresses let's throw him in.

K/P(2): Matt Bryant, Josh Bidwell

-We just resigned both of them.  Bryant has been solid since his 62 yarder only missing one field goal.  Bidwell is, well, our MVP.

DE(4): Simeon Rice, DeWayne White, Juliun Jenkins, Greg Spires

-Simeon Rice has one more year left on his contract.  He also has a very high cap number.  No one will trade for him with his recent year and he will use the remaining year on his contract to try and prove himself to get that one last BIG contract.  DeWayne White will start next year.  I see Greg Spires providing depth at both the DE and DT position.  He will be more of a situational player then anything else.

DT(4): DeMarcus Tyler(2nd round/NC State), Chris Hovan, Ellis Wyms, Jon Bradley

-Tyler is expected to go in the last first, but I can see him falling to our early second rounder with Branch and Pittock going in the first.  He would come in and start right away next to Hovan; with Wyms mixing it often.  I like Bradley and his depth.

LB(7): Derrick Brooks, Lance Briggs(UFA), Barrett Ruud, Ryan Nece, Jamie Winborn, Wesley Mallard, Nate Harris(5thround/Louisville)

-I know your saying that I haven't really used none of our cap space except on Plummer and discount on Oben, well thats because we throw a lot of money at Briggs.  He already told Chicago that he wants to test the market so let's get him.  He is young and would start opposite Brooks with Ruud in the middle.  I cut my ties with Quarles.  He is old, even older then our own #55 and I think it's time to let Ruud be the full time starter.  Reason I dont keep Quarles for depth is that I like him and could definetly see him getting a starting gig somewhere else.  Also keep the others for depth with Nece being excellent.

CB(6): Ronde Barber, Nate Clements(UFA), Alan Zemeitis, Torrie Cox, Phillip Bucchanon, Blue Adams

-Two big names on the D.  I dont trust Kelly coming off that turf toe and decide to move him to safety.  Zemeitis is the nickle with BUC and Cox providing depth.  No more dreds for me.  Bolden wasnt bad, but I'm sorry he is in the same boat as Tim Wansley as far as I'm concerned...in reference to replacing Kelly.

S(4): Brian Kelly, Will Allen, Jermaine Phillips, Brandon Meriweather (2nd round/Miami)

-Our safeties were atrocious this year so we need to change that.  I see it as fair game with all four players with most likely a rotation thing with all four not being that great.  Probably keep Kelly starting.  I see Phillips gone after next year and Kelly not lasting much longer.  This is why I draft Meriweather.

As you can see, I spend alot of money on Clements and Briggs.  Also give Plummer a 1 year deal to be starter.  Doesn't make as much as he made in Denver.  Also get Oben for a decent deal.  Them coupled with the draft picks should be enough of our cap room.  We could probably afford another big player, but we dont want to be in the same situation as we were the past few years in cap hell.  Yea, Clements and Briggs are risks, but they are both fairly young and should pain out.  No Charlie Garners here.

I know I used the 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks on offense, but the defense is sadly still the strength of our team and with Rice and Kelly Back, along with the additions of Briggs, Clements, Tyler and Meriweather, you could bet we will be top 5.

Booger

Starter

#1 : December 13, 2006, 05:40:36 PM

Nice read.

My biggest problem is with the signing of Plummer.  Why sign a guy for one year, and then hand the reigns back over to Grads?  If Grads is your starter two years from now, why not make him the starter next season?  This team is a few years away from competing for a championship, and one year of Plummer (even if by some chance it was a good one) seems like a waste.

With the FA money that so many teams have available, I would be shocked to see both Briggs and Clements here.  Is Kelly really an option at safety? 

I really like your draft.  Our first pick is pretty up in the air, but I wouldnt be sour with Calvin Johnson, who appears to be a faster Larry Fitzgerald.  The problem is if we dont have a QB to get him the ball, or a line to give the QB time to get him the ball, what purpose does he serve?

I would be a fan of a David Carr trade and the drafting of Joe Thomas.  Our receiving depth for the next few years is just fine, especially if Clayton can regain some form.

shall555

Starter

#2 : December 13, 2006, 06:32:13 PM

With a David Carr trade, the draft could then look something like this:

1) Joe Thomas / Calvin Johnson - Either give Carr a weapon or protection.
2) Reggie Nelson FS - It's been said by PR, that we will sign a S and draft a S with one of the first 3 picks.
2) Traded for David Carr
3) Brian Leonard - Alstott's replacement
4) Kyle Young C/G/T - Kicked out of school but could be a backup at all the positions and possible starter @ C.

This draft haul yields us a Franchise QB, a Franchise WR/solid LT, a prototypical FB, and a versatile O Lineman.

With the recent resurgence on defense and the young players starting to make plays, I think we can fill the holes and depth in Free Agency and the bottom half of the draft.

On defense, we can sign -
Justin Smith RDE and Adalius Thomas LDE
Cato June LB
Nick Harper CB or Asante Samuel CB or Nate Clements CB
Michael Lewis SS or Gibril Wilson SS or Ken Hamlin SS

That would be 5 new starters on Defense. All are young with 5 years or less of experience, and entering their primes.

TBYFLBuc

Second String

#3 : December 13, 2006, 08:41:18 PM

With a David Carr trade, the draft could then look something like this:

1) Joe Thomas / Calvin Johnson - Either give Carr a weapon or protection.
2) Reggie Nelson FS - It's been said by PR, that we will sign a S and draft a S with one of the first 3 picks.
2) Traded for David Carr
3) Brian Leonard - Alstott's replacement
4) Kyle Young C/G/T - Kicked out of school but could be a backup at all the positions and possible starter @ C.

This draft haul yields us a Franchise QB, a Franchise WR/solid LT, a prototypical FB, and a versatile O Lineman.

With the recent resurgence on defense and the young players starting to make plays, I think we can fill the holes and depth in Free Agency and the bottom half of the draft.

On defense, we can sign -
Justin Smith RDE and Adalius Thomas LDE
Cato June LB
Nick Harper CB or Asante Samuel CB or Nate Clements CB
Michael Lewis SS or Gibril Wilson SS or Ken Hamlin SS

That would be 5 new starters on Defense. All are young with 5 years or less of experience, and entering their primes.

I completely agree!!I would love all this to happen.BUT I think it represents a best case scenario. Carr should be at the top of our list with  a WR or LT through free agancy then we can spend the 1st round pick on the other we dont attain w FA. OR go DT with thAT first pick. I think we should draft heavy on defense but can fill some defensive hole w/ FA to possibly draft a offensive player or two. Also Mahan needs to be the back-up wa..wa..waterboy or be flipping burgers but I cant stand watching him get BLOWN up every week. A back-up guard is a must!!!

shall555

Starter

#4 : December 13, 2006, 08:58:47 PM

I completely agree!!I would love all this to happen.BUT I think it represents a best case scenario. Carr should be at the top of our list with a WR or LT through free agancy then we can spend the 1st round pick on the other we dont attain w FA. OR go DT with thAT first pick. I think we should draft heavy on defense but can fill some defensive hole w/ FA to possibly draft a offensive player or two. Also Mahan needs to be the back-up wa..wa..waterboy or be flipping burgers but I cant stand watching him get BLOWN up every week. A back-up guard is a must!!!

The possibilities are endless this offseason, which makes it such an exciting time. We could go Defensive heavy in FA, Offensive heavy in FA, or have a balanced FA. The draft could go the same way. We just don't know what's going to happen. I just hope it gives us more thrills than what the regular season has given us!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 13, 2006, 09:00:01 PM

I would love to read what PR guys would do. 

Badabingnrt

Starter

#6 : December 13, 2006, 10:18:17 PM

shalla, you honestly think Carr is worth a 2nd rounder?

They have been talks of them actually releasing him.  He has a HIGH cap number and there would have to be some deal working out.  I also am not too high on him, but I guess hes worth a shot.  I wouldn't give up a first day pick for him though.

4th yes...

At least no one mentioned Garcia.  He wouldn't do anything with us.  People forget his horrific times with the Lions and Browns.  The Eagles have a good o line which is the only reason he is doing good.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 13, 2006, 10:21:29 PM

At least no one mentioned Garcia.  He wouldn't do anything with us.  People forget his horrific times with the Lions and Browns.  The Eagles have a good o line which is the only reason he is doing good.

the joys of being an insider.   ;D

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 13, 2006, 10:25:04 PM

Well, I haunt the Eagles sites (because it is also a Philly site), and the fans seem to respect Garcia.  There are mixed reactions as to what shall happen to the guy though. 

And I agree, the O-line is a league better than ours for sure, which might actually help Garcia out a bit.  I mean, Runyan was beating the hell out of Peppers.  Man, I wish the Bucs could have grabbed this guy last year...I pined and whined...of course, I am a fan.  We do that you know.

Badabingnrt

Starter

#9 : December 13, 2006, 10:25:43 PM

At least no one mentioned Garcia.  He wouldn't do anything with us.  People forget his horrific times with the Lions and Browns.  The Eagles have a good o line which is the only reason he is doing good.

the joys of being an insider. ;D

I'm not an insider.  I'm new to this board.  I just can't believe how soon people forget.  I guess thats the whole "What have you done for me lately" approach.  For instance, fans soon forgetting about Grudens triump in the SB.

Anyway, I'd be happy with Plummer.  Carr wouldnt be bad seeing he is still somewhat young.  Brunell?  ehh.  Not so much....but at least hes better then Bledsoe.

Badabingnrt

Starter

#10 : December 14, 2006, 02:59:37 AM

My dream would be Culpepper...I always said that if we had a QB like him we would be Super Bowl bound once again...however with his play has diminished..

id still like him

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#11 : December 14, 2006, 03:04:36 AM

My dream would be Culpepper...I always said that if we had a QB like him we would be Super Bowl bound once again...however with his play has diminished..

id still like him
  Damaged goods.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#12 : December 14, 2006, 03:45:23 AM

1. Both the thread started and shalla spend too many picks on offense. Especially shalla, ONE of our first FIVE picks wanting a guy that won't be there?! To who started the topic, the D gets two players worth note and one has huge character issues headed into the draft. We keep Rice and don't upgrade the ends? Neither can stuff the run very well and neither will be a big pass rushing presence. Big problem IMO. And it's just plain stupid to spend MORE first day picks on offensive skill positions. Calvin AND Leonard?!

2. Why do people think we have a decided advantage over the FA competition? We have a lot of money. So do a lot of teams. We have enough money for the top CB in FA, the top LB, a solid LT, AND a starting quality QB? Or 5 new starters on D including two of the top 3 DEs in FA? Thomas alone might take us out of the running for the rest, that guy is going to get PAID this offseason. Briggs and maybe another solid starter is feasible, and I hope is what we can get. Briggs would have a huge impact on this D IMO.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 14, 2006, 07:28:35 AM

If you liked Rob Johnson, you will love David Carr.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 14, 2006, 08:00:31 AM

if it were me and it's not, I'd do one thing and one thing only; get the freaking o-line and d-line straight. What the hell good is it to have this weapon and that weapon when you can't put pressure on the QB or get any push or protection from the o-line. Forget this FA and that college stud, stick to the lines for this draft and coming season. If that is straightened out, I bet some of the weaker players may elevate their games. Just a thought.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If I were GM(long read) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools