Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What is more important to you as a fan, a player's character or talent? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Badabing

Hall of Famer

: June 03, 2008, 06:47:43 PM

The signing of Jerramy Stevens has risen a good topic.  It seems some fans, including myself, can really care less about a players character and off-the-field issues.  I am not trying to be friends with these players or go out on a date with these players, I am simply rooting for them on Sunday's to help my favorite team win football games.  There are also other fans who are totally against adding guys like Stevens, Bryant, Chad Johnson, Pacman Jones, etc.

So what is more important to you?  Would you rather have a perrenial playoff team that has some questionable character guys like Stevens on it or would you rather have a bunch of guys with the character of Barber/Brooks but not as talented and say an up and down team(miss playoffs one year, make it the next, and so on)

I personally rather be the consistant playoff team, even if it has guys like Tank Johnson, PacMan Jones, Terrell Owens, etc....AND no I'm not Jerry Jones...I just think he has the right idea...

MBF

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 03, 2008, 06:49:50 PM

Ideally you're hoping for a mix, but this isn't an ideal world so talent edges it for me. Like you said as long as they produce on the field I'm okay.

pr0711

Rookie

#2 : June 03, 2008, 06:54:34 PM

You can have all the talent like "Pacman", "Tank" with no character and wast you talent and don't get anywhere (like they have so far).  Saying that 'Stevens" is not even on this class (what has he done that is so great?) 18 catches-1Td wow game breaking stuff there.   Character is more important, however a combination of the 2 will be better.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 03, 2008, 06:56:07 PM

You can have all the talent like "Pacman", "Tank" with no character and wast you talent and don't get anywhere (like they have so far). Saying that 'Stevens" is not even on this class (what has he done that is so great?) 18 catches-1Td wow game breaking stuff there. Character is more important, however a combination of the 2 will be better.
Character =/= wins buddy.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 03, 2008, 07:00:51 PM

so you think character is more important.  That is a fine opinion.

The thing about Stevens is that even though he isn't a starter for us, the guy was 2nd on the team in touchdowns, I dont know where you got 1 TD from.  Anyway, he is instantly the 2nd best TE on our team, behin Alex Smith.  It was a great signing to bring him back.  Troupe reminds me of another Alex Smith.  He has potential, but we can't go into the season resting on players potentials, we need some guys that can get it done and the tall Stevens is a good weapon in the red zone.

Also PacMan was a beast for the Titans.  He is a great player and the COwboys got him for nothing.  He will be reinstated as he is allowed to practice with the team so he's pretty much there.  The guy is a monster in the kick return game and a great CB.  I wish the Bucs would have went after him.

As for Tank Johnson, the dude is also a good player.  We got some decent DTs ourselves, but Tank is a good player.

Like I always say, if a team donates money to a charity and goes 6-10, nobody will point them out.  Same goes for a team that wins a Superbowl but has several character issues on it.  They will remember the superbowl.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 03, 2008, 07:04:47 PM

I also dont know what Stevens did.  He got a DUI, but I think half the NFL has gotten DUIs so I don't see the big deal there.  Not downplaying DUIs at all, but I dont really think that a motorvechicle violation should make you hate a player for that.(afterall I believe Gruden, Bryant, Boston, Stevens, June, etc. have all gotten DUIs, half the bengals, and heck the Jared Allen everyone wanted has 2)

Even if, sadly, a loved one was killed by a drunk driver, you'd have to be mad at about 1/4 the population who drinks and drives(not saying they all get caught)

Anyway, back to the alleged rape.  Kobe Bryant raped a girl too, but his team is in the finals and I dont hear anyone bringing that up.  The guy is the MVP of the league. 

#6 : June 03, 2008, 07:05:27 PM

I am not trying to be friends with these players or go out on a date with these players, I am simply rooting for them on Sunday's to help my favorite team win football games. 

I find it difficult to root for people that I don't like.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : June 03, 2008, 07:09:44 PM

I wasn't going to say it - but changed my mind.  One of the things I liked most about Tony Dungy was the composition of the team - especially in character.  Remember the WR who acted out when he had an auto accident - he was gone.  Rules - and their enforcement - well it made it really nice to be a buccaneer fan.  And the buccs won a lot as well.  It can be done.

I don't like thugs - I don't like guys who beat their wives or run their cars into their wife's car - I don't like wondering whose did could get hurt...  just sayin'.  And no, I am not thumping a bible or screaming about giving them second chances.  Just remarking about the topic.  I don't like some of the signings.  Even if they do play well.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

pr0711

Rookie

#8 : June 03, 2008, 07:10:08 PM

Wow !!   How low of a society have we become, when there are some out there that are willing to over-look everthing for a "W" there are thing more important in life that a game. 

People's lives are been change and destroy because of these individuals that we are discussing here, but all we care about is of a "W".  By the way how many TD did Stevens get last year, I only remember the one in New Orleans game, refresh my memory please ?

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#9 : June 03, 2008, 07:10:40 PM

I am not trying to be friends with these players or go out on a date with these players, I am simply rooting for them on Sunday's to help my favorite team win football games.

I find it difficult to root for people that I don't like.

Same here.  I hated Michael Vick, even before his hanish acts.  The dude was a low-life and wasnt even that good and was so over-rated it was ridicilous.  I also didnt like DeAngelo Hall.  Those are types of players I wouldnt want the Bucs to get.  id have a hard time rooting for them if they were on the Bucs, but the logo rules all, so I'd probably find a way, although it would be hard.

However, I didn't like those guys personalities....it was nothing they did off the field which made me say I hate them.  I think the QB is the most important when it comes to that tho..I wouldnt say a back-up TE would make me upset..

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 03, 2008, 07:14:19 PM

Jon Gruden, who was added in 2002, got a DUI when he was coaching Oakland.  He went on to be the head coach of a superbowl winning team.
Michael Pittman, who ran his car into his wife, was picked up in 02 and had a phenominal superbowl game.  He was our starting RB during our superbowl year.
Keyshawn Johnson has always had a loud mouth, yet we won with him as a starting WR as well.
Warren Sapp was considered a dirty player with a loud mouth as well.  I think for a time there everyone hated those 2 players but Buc Fans.
Simeon Rice was always a weirdo and me-me guy
Dwight Smith had his incidents as well and was our nickelback

We had plenty of thugs on our superbowl winning team, yet you take those components out and I dont think we win a Super Bowl.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : June 03, 2008, 07:16:09 PM

Wow !! How low of a society have we become, when there are some out there that are willing to over-look everthing for a "W" there are thing more important in life that a game.

People's lives are been change and destroy because of these individuals that we are discussing here, but all we care about is of a "W". By the way how many TD did Stevens get last year, I only remember the one in New Orleans game, refresh my memory please ?

Hmmm - you have said your piece.  It is clear you don't like the signing - and it is okay.  Lots of folks are uncomfortable.  But the guy wasn't convicted, it was a decade ago, and folks sometimes don't get what they deserve at the time.  And kids sometimes do some dumb stuff.  This isn't a pass for Stevens nor anyone else Ian, but it is the way it is.

So rabble rouse with some thought - just sayin' it might be beneficial to try to be a little objective. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#12 : June 03, 2008, 07:24:33 PM

I have been through the losing but if I had to stomach a bad guy (thug) like Pacman Jones, I would rather have the clean cut guy that is less talented.

pr0711

Rookie

#13 : June 03, 2008, 07:28:36 PM

I rabble rouse with more thought that you can ever do "dbucfan", yes it did happen 10 years ago, but tell that to the young lady and her family.  Like I have posted before I know that class-less of a persone Stevens as was in school when this situation happen with that girl and everyon was out-rated that nothing was done. 

By the way it is never too late of face justice dude, what you do here in this world you have to answer for, one way or another.  Don't defend or post anything if you don't really know what took place.  You or anyone helse were not there when it happen.   Clone !!

The Q

Pro Bowler

#14 : June 03, 2008, 07:29:44 PM

Remember all the great character guys on the Bucs during their run of 10 plus losses for so many years?
Stevens is not currently under ANY SORT of legal difficulties. This is the local shockjocks on Radio and fishwrappers stirring a
smelly pot.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What is more important to you as a fan, a player's character or talent? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools