Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What is more important to you as a fan, a player's character or talent? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 03, 2008, 07:30:23 PM

all I want to ask is, how many people go to a damn football game and not drink? hell, i bet the pope himself would go to a damn game and drink...yet all these callers today on 620 were saying how they were/are going to have their season tickets cancelled...don't blame Stevens DUI's and "ALLEGED" rape for season tickets rising and you not being able to afford it so you want to get out of a contract fee free, when you've known about this for over a year now!!!...you go to ball games and drink yourself, but it's ok because YOU didn't get caught...

I could go on about this "alleged" rape as well, which I highly doubt happened but I won't even bother wasting my time on this "Get Rich Quick" nonsense...simply put, she was probably a "virgin" in her daddy's eyes and lied about being raped because Stevens wanted nothing more to do with her...he probably said "but baby I love you, let me hit it from the back" or something like that. She says, "only if you promise you love me" or something like that. Stevens replies, "girl you know it's true, ga ga ga girl...oooh oooh oooh I love you"...blah blah blah

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 03, 2008, 07:33:30 PM

You have to have a combination.  People are usually of low character because of the situation they are in.  If the team has a mix of high character guys and some guys with questionable character I believe the good guys can get the questionable guys to walk the right line.  There are things that if convicted of are unacceptable but some things you can live with.  DUI's are one of the things that can be corrected if surrounded by better people and when people grow up.

have no problem taking questionable characters as long as we have the proper vets and coaches to mentor them.  Also, if they are signed to a contract that is easy to get out of and can be held over their head, bring them on the team.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#17 : June 03, 2008, 07:35:09 PM

No one has perfect character.
No one has perfect ability.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 03, 2008, 07:39:39 PM

By the way it is never too late of face justice dude, what you do here in this world you have to answer for, one way or another. Don't defend or post anything if you don't really know what took place. You or anyone helse were not there when it happen. Clone !!

Neither were you but you seem sure that the guy did it and want to force him to not play football.  Make up you mind you can not have your cake and eat it to.  If we can not say that the guy is innocent because he wasn't convicted or charged then you can not say he is guilty based off of a newspaper article.  It is plain and simple, you want to hang a guy based off of hearsay and public opinion while the system found that there was not enough information to pursue charges.  Think about this for a second and it makes no sence.  You are basically saying that every person that was charged or investigated for doing something wrong is guilty and should have their futures limited because of it. 

this world is not as perfect as the one you live in.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 03, 2008, 07:47:31 PM

Don't defend or post anything if you don't really know what took place.  You or anyone helse were not there when it happen.   Clone !!

People are allowed to post their opinions, whether you approve or not, and whether they were there when it took place or not. It is your decision to accept or reject those opinions -- but you have no standing to order people to stop posting on the subject.

#20 : June 03, 2008, 07:58:55 PM

Personally, I have no concern with a player's past.....all i care about is that he shows up on Sunday and balls. If he's doing things that prevent that from happening, then I have a problem.

We aren't talkin about someone that i'd hang out with or who I'd be lookin for to date my daughter.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 03, 2008, 08:01:32 PM

We aren't talkin about someone that i'd hang out with or who I'd be lookin for to date my daughter.

Sapp.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#22 : June 03, 2008, 08:06:28 PM

The signing of Jerramy Stevens has risen a good topic. It seems some fans, including myself, can really care less about a players character and off-the-field issues. I am not trying to be friends with these players or go out on a date with these players, I am simply rooting for them on Sunday's to help my favorite team win football games. There are also other fans who are totally against adding guys like Stevens, Bryant, Chad Johnson, Pacman Jones, etc.

So what is more important to you? Would you rather have a perrenial playoff team that has some questionable character guys like Stevens on it or would you rather have a bunch of guys with the character of Barber/Brooks but not as talented and say an up and down team(miss playoffs one year, make it the next, and so on)

I personally rather be the consistant playoff team, even if it has guys like Tank Johnson, PacMan Jones, Terrell Owens, etc....AND no I'm not Jerry Jones...I just think he has the right idea...

I think you have to take several things into consideration.  

Does the low character/high talent guy have any unresolved situations that will cause further suspensions or loss of playing time?  His talent is useless if he is not on the field.

How will the rest of the team accept him?  It is a team sport and chemistry is very important.  Also, is he coachable?  No need for another Keyshawn drama.

How much upgrade in talent does he provide over high character alternatives?  CJ over Clayton is worth the character issue, CJ over Braylon Edwards is not.

How long ago were these events that cause the character issues? A couple DUIs or a domestic violence charge 6-8 years ago means a lot less than repeated events last year.

If it is one or two guys with extraordinary talent, and team chemistry isn't damaged, I'd say "win baby", but it really is a case by case type of thing.

#23 : June 03, 2008, 08:09:27 PM

I rabble rouse with more thought that you can ever do "dbucfan", yes it did happen 10 years ago, but tell that to the young lady and her family.

Let's be serious now.....what the hell does signing Stevens today have to do with the girl and her family?

Sapp.

My all time favorite Buc. Met him and he was kool to me. I'd love to hang out with him.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 03, 2008, 08:12:19 PM

My all time favorite Buc. Met him and he was kool to me. I'd love to hang out with him.

For a while, anyhow.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#25 : June 03, 2008, 08:16:20 PM

Warren Sapp was considered a dirty player with a loud mouth as well.  I think for a time there everyone hated those 2 players but Buc Fans.

To be fair, Sapp was only considered a dirty player by a group of ignorant people and Mike Sherman, for one play.

Notre Dame had a group of good, christian boys this past season and they were terrible. And their fans and alumni didn't like it too much.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 03, 2008, 08:19:00 PM

Dungy helped build this team with high character players. Gruden pushed us over the edge with a few shady ones.
50/50 says this Buc fan

**Note**
This is not a Dungy vs, Gruden statement

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#27 : June 03, 2008, 08:57:15 PM

Dungy helped build this team with high character players.

They weren't all of the highest character.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 03, 2008, 08:58:49 PM

Dungy helped build this team with high character players. Gruden pushed us over the edge with a few shady ones.
50/50 says this Buc fan

Care to elaborate on the shady ones in '02?

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 03, 2008, 09:18:00 PM

Only one that comes to mind if Pittman from '02. There have been several over his tenure though, some panned out, some didn't. He likes character but he also fire.

DTG, you're correct on that note, but for the most part, Dungy sought high character

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What is more important to you as a fan, a player's character or talent? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools