Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Rookie Stood Tall « previous next »
Page: 1

: October 09, 2006, 05:29:09 PM

Who really knew what to expect from Bruce Gradkowski Sunday afternoon? After all, he was a rookie 6th-round pick in this year's draft, thrust into action due to the injury to Chris Simms.

Could we, or should we, have expected him to come out of New Orleans with a win? Could we have not been surprised at an interception or two from "Grads"? Maybe even a couple of lost fumbles? It seems almost a given that the youngster would be nervous, and rightfully so....

But we saw none of that.

What fans saw, at least on the surface, was a young quarterback that had control of his offense and huddle from start to finish. What we saw was some crisp, pinpoint passes. What we saw was a rookie in his first game, leading the Bucs to their most prolific offensive output of the season, putting up over 400 yards.

Completing over 64% of his passes (20-31) for 225 yards and 2 touchdowns, Gradkowski looked anything but a man in his first N.F.L. start.

Sure, there were timeouts taken at odd moments, but then we have seen that sort of thing from veteran quarterbacks also. There were some ugly "throwaway" passes along the way. But the big thing? No turnovers!

If I were asked to give Bruce Gradkowski a grade for his Sunday performance, it would be an A-. A solid one at that. He did everything but win the game, which was through no fault of his own. Not at all.

Had his defense helped him along the way by tackling some people, Grads and his fellow Bucs would have exited the Superdome victorious. As it turned out, neither did either.

If the effort Sunday is any indication of what we can expect from the QB position the rest of the season, the Bucs have indeed found a diamond in the rough.

Now, if we can just get the defense to play up to that level.....

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 09, 2006, 05:31:10 PM

He did have a turnover.  It was the fumble.

#2 : October 09, 2006, 05:33:29 PM

yes he did....my bad.....still doesn't take a thing away from his excellent performance.  All things considered, this fan is damned proud of the kid.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 09, 2006, 05:34:08 PM

Me too man.  Me too.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 09, 2006, 05:54:53 PM

Ah I remember that topic in the pre season about this kid. Man were you guys right. I was neutral so I'm not gonna bust out my shoes saying I was sooo right. But yeah great pick Gruden. You can tell who's a great QB. But lets see some good o line picks with our 3rd-7th pick next April.. unless Bruce is going to carry us to a wildcard??

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#5 : October 09, 2006, 05:59:53 PM

stan tall in that pocket Bruce

Ft. Myers Buc Fan

Practice Squad

#6 : October 09, 2006, 07:41:40 PM

The one thing that really stood out to me with Bruce under center was the offense was just quicker in every facet of the game.  He got the ball into the hands of the RB much quicker then Simms, he dropped back quicker and of course released the ball much quicker then Simms which makes it much more difficult for the defense to read where the ball is going and get the ball into the hands of our skill players while they still have the chance to make someone miss.

Gruden's offense is a quick tempo timing type system and Bruce fits in very nicely.  He will be the Bucs QB of the future, no doubt about it.  He will struggle some this season but it will be interesting watching him learn from the mistakes and get to run plays Gruden will never call with his past Buc QBs

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 09, 2006, 07:49:14 PM

If the effort Sunday is any indication of what we can expect from the QB position the rest of the season, the Bucs have indeed found a diamond in the rough.

When you look at his stats and mobility, then see his charisma, it no surprise to me that he did a good job in his first game.  The surprising thing is he fell to the 6th round.  The kid has a few records in the MAC, and there have been a few decent QB in the conference in recent years. 

It looks like the Bucs got real lucky and made a great pick.  And to all those that were knocking the draft, it now looks like we will have at least five future starters form the 2006 draft; Grads, Joseph, Trueblood, Stovall, Zemaitis.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 09, 2006, 07:57:41 PM

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." -  Oscar Wilde

That Oscar Wilde was a bit nuts.   I heard he was a victim of the mad hatters syndrome with too much mercury affecting his brain.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Rookie Stood Tall « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools