Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Three Key Concerns From My Vantage Point « previous next »
Page: 1 2

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: June 10, 2008, 10:52:58 AM

Since the dust has settled and the off-season is coming to an abrupt end. With training camp just around the corner, figured it was high time we should break down a few positions of key concern heading into the 2008 regular season.

While the team has upgraded the center position there is no true back up as of yet, which could be cause for concern, considering they are fiddling with the idea or hoping either Dan Buenning or rookie Jeremy Zuttah can even play center effectively, both of whom have never taken a regular season snap of any kind at center. Can either one be counted on should Faine go down? This should be of huge concern to fans, since Faine has only played in sixteen games once in his six year career since being drafted in the first round. 

Will Donald Penn get a fair shake to earn the starting LT spot or does Petitgout get the job handed back to him? The other problem at the tackle position is depth at RT, after Trueblood, it could be a cast of unknowns, fighting for a roster spot or the team could switch players around who have never started at RT in Donald Penn or move G/T  Anthony Davis who has only played on the left side in his career to the right side, which seems to be a bit daunting to expect adequate or even marginal play for guys that would be at a disadvantage due to the little things that change when moving from right to left or left to right.

When you consider the defensive line, you have to ask yourself where the sacks going to come from.

The team is thin at play making defensive ends, which is why they have gone to using a heavy d-line rotation it is more out of necessity rather then by design.  If we take off the pewter colored glasses and are going to be forthright and honest about it, this could be the weakest link on the entire team. Should Greg White not duplicate last season success or should Gaines Adams suffer through a sophomore slump the team is in serious trouble on defense.

There is not another player currently on the roster that has the ability to even remotely get double digit sack numbers this season or has even shown the ability as a pass rusher to make you believe they are in for a breakout season, at best it is a cast of misfits and has been’s or never were type of players making up the remainder of the group.

While some might have an upside, there is no true way of telling who or what players are going to show up an produce, Winning starts and ends up front on both sides of the football, there are a lot of questions surrounding several key spots on both lines heading into training camp and the pre-season.

Should none of them be answered before the regular season starts it is going to be a nightmare in waiting every Sunday.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 10, 2008, 10:55:31 AM

The team is thin at play making defensive ends, which is why they have gone to using a heavy d-line rotation it is more out of necessity rather then by design.  If we take off the pewter colored glasses and are going to be forthright and honest about it, this could be the weakest link on the entire team. Should Greg White not duplicate last season success or should Gaines Adams suffer through a sophomore slump the team is in serious trouble on defense.

I agree 100%.  I am very disappointed that we didn't do much to upgrade the line, especially after how obvious it was last season that we needed the help.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#2 : June 10, 2008, 12:08:15 PM

I agree 100%.  I am very disappointed that we didn't do much to upgrade the line, especially after how obvious it was last season that we needed the help.

I think the biggest area to upgrade was at DT where there weren't a lot of picking either in the draft or FA.

I do agree though that the DL is the biggest concern on the team. A MUCH larger issue than the overblown WR issue.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#3 : June 10, 2008, 12:26:50 PM

The team is thin at play making defensive ends.

If we are thin at play making defensive ends, what teams do you consider deep?

#4 : June 10, 2008, 12:37:06 PM

"There is not another player currently on the roster that has the ability to even remotely get double digit sack numbers this season or has even shown the ability as a pass rusher to make you believe they are in for a breakout season, at best it is a cast of misfits and has been’s or never were type of players making up the remainder of the group."

I think Gaines Adams and Greg White are very capable of getting double digits in sacks. You dont think so Yucc?

#5 : June 10, 2008, 12:42:42 PM

"Should Greg White not duplicate last season success or should Gaines Adams suffer through a sophomore slump the team is in serious trouble on defense. ''

Sorry, I obviously didnt read the whole post.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#6 : June 10, 2008, 12:58:37 PM

Definitely legitimate concerns, there yuck. However, I'll submit to you that before last season, few knew the names of Donald Penn and Greg White. I think this coaching staff has shown the ability, at times, to find players that can get the job done.

I will say this, if Gaines doesn't get double-digit sacks this season, we're going to need to start looking elsewhere. The biggest jump from rookie to perrenial Pro Bowler at DE usually occurs in Season 2.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#7 : June 10, 2008, 01:22:04 PM

Do teams often look good if you take away their two best pass rushers? 

I haven't checked the stats but how many teams had more then two players with double digit sacks?

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#8 : June 11, 2008, 07:41:22 AM

1) I wouldn't be too concerned.  Hopefully Faine stays healthy, but Im confident Buenning or Zuttah can get the job done.

2) I dont think Penn will be given a fair oppurtunity to win the LT job, just like I dont think McCown will be given a fair chance to win the #2 QB job.

3) Im also skeptical that Greg White could be a fluke.  The guy has bounced around the league like its his job and couldnt catch on anywhere.  He had a decent year last year, but can he repeat that?  I dont know.  Gaines Adams needs to get at least 12 sacks orr we will see less sacks than we had last year.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#9 : June 11, 2008, 08:31:24 AM

The UT position(Haye/Moore) and the center position(Faine/Zuttah) will make the most impact on both sides of the ball either positive or negative.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#10 : June 11, 2008, 09:03:13 AM

if you look at things from this vantage point you will have a long offseason.   

we cut our backup C, seems the team has someone in mind.

do any teams in the league have legitimate backup RT's?  we have at least 2 guys with good NFL experience (albeit both at LT) to throw in there.

only 15 guys had double digit sacks last year, yet you are concerned that our 3rd stringers dont have the ability to reach that number?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

thanson

Starter

#11 : June 11, 2008, 09:18:38 AM

nice post yuc

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#12 : June 11, 2008, 09:24:56 AM

GameTime - Dont remember the team cutting a center, last years backup center signed as a free agent with the Saints after the team signed there starting center. The reason it is of concern, is that the team currently doesnt have a true back up at the position but is hoping  a player can fill that role by moving them from there natural position to make them a center. Since Faine has only played 16 games once in his career and has missed in excess of  what amounts to be one full season with injuries in his five years not counting 2008. so my math says that is about 3 games a year he wont be of service to the team, which could mean the difference of making the playoffs or not making them.

But most team have a backup, currently the Bucs might have a player penciled in. but no true solution should an injury occur.

Which the Bucs had done of, As I stated if the team does not get the same level of play or better out of the two most productive ends from last season it will be a long season considering teams have been able to move the football at will on third downs.

The reason for concern is the 3rd stringers havent even shown the ability in the past few season to even get 6 sacks a season, the defense it built around the pass rush, if they dont have the players up front and are going to be reluctant blitz it is of huge concern.

If last season was any indication of things to come, the team wont blitz even when they need too, so to say why worry? The defense will only be as good as the defensive line is, not being able to get off the field on 3rd downs will only hamper the offenses ability to be more productive or have more chances to score, not to mention the wear and tear it will take on the defense as the season drawls to and end, which could be huge if the defense was on the field less heading into the playoffs.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#13 : June 11, 2008, 09:46:26 AM

i realized i shouldnt have used the word "cut" too late.  we had every chance to re-sign wade and/or lehr, but chose not to.  that basically tells me the team feels confident with our backup, whomever it will be.

pick any team in the NFL, if their starting DE's dont play well it will be a long season.  we have haye who has shown improvement every year, and we added a potential player in moore.  both these guys could improve our DE's play.  and if chuk comes back healthy he has the speed to bring off the edge, and we could still have the project in peterson.

i just find it hard to come into the season thinking of scenarios where our guys underachieve.  pick any position and if our starters underachieve, our team will suffer.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#14 : June 11, 2008, 09:53:02 AM

But most of those position have a player that has shown the ability to play and play decent if called upon, where as the DE position was average at best last season and at this point it is anyones guess how they will play this season.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Three Key Concerns From My Vantage Point « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools