Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Terrible Economic Times « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 15

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#15 : June 10, 2008, 01:52:40 PM

Just because the effects of exhorbitant gas prices are not being shown in the air travel just yet doesn't mean that the economic issues are not there.

Are you kidding?   Air travel prices have almost doubled in the last 10 years.   Gas prices have drastically effected prices of air travel.   Those prices dont seem to be a problem though because people are flying.

I'm talking the effect of gas prices on individuals every day lives and the economy in general.  The airlines are saying that they can not increase the prices enough to keep up with the current drastic increase in fuel costs hence the cutting of flights, services and increase in fees.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 10, 2008, 01:55:15 PM

I can't verify the 20% figure in the usa since I don't live there.   I've just noticed that the flights are always full when I take them now in the usa and they were not before.    But the number of flights in asia have gone WAY up over the last few years.   There are about twice as many flights as there were 5 years ago now that there are so many budget airlines out here.   Yet, they are all fully booked at all times.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#17 : June 10, 2008, 01:58:30 PM

all I know is that I am spending more $ on EVERYTHING, and in most cases, getting less in return...

my salary is not going up enough to compensate for the inflation, and we have now begun actually making an effort to spend less money on things we don't need.  This is the first time I have ever felt the need to cut spending to meet the costs of bills, etc...

it sucks.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 10, 2008, 02:05:10 PM

There are about twice as many flights as there were 5 years ago now that there are so many budget airlines out here.   Yet, they are all fully booked at all times.

That is part of the problem in the US!  More economic growth in Asia is taking it share of the global pie.  

The CEO of Air Malaysia was on CNBC for a couple of hours last month and the general impression I got from that segment is the Asian airlines are struggling a lot as well.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 10, 2008, 02:06:07 PM

all I know is that I am spending more $ on EVERYTHING, and in most cases, getting less in return...

my salary is not going up enough to compensate for the inflation, and we have now begun actually making an effort to spend less money on things we don't need. This is the first time I have ever felt the need to cut spending to meet the costs of bills, etc...

it sucks.

That's interesting.   I admit that I am about as clueless as anyone could be about paying bills since I have none.   I just found it odd that so many people are travelling even though travel is expensive these days.    

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#20 : June 10, 2008, 02:08:18 PM

Air travel isn't that much more expensive then it has been really.   Now there are some new fees added in and there have been some newer rate increases that I haven't really compared, but I flew to NYC last month for the cheapest price ever.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 10, 2008, 02:13:11 PM

Air travel isn't that much more expensive then it has been really.

5 years ago I could fly from Jakarta to Bangkok for $230.   Now the cheapest flight I can find is no less than $500.

MJS, Malaysian air used to have a monopoly in their area.    They have been hard hit recently because a new budget airline called Air Asia set KL as it's home base.    There is even a separate airport now special for Air Asia.   Malaysian air has had to drastically cut prices to compete with that.    Singapore air though is still doing unbelievably well.   Indonesia has so many flights now, it's ridiculous.   They may crash every month or so, but there are lots of them.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#22 : June 10, 2008, 02:34:46 PM

I do not live in Indonesia.  I was discussing the USA

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 10, 2008, 02:54:06 PM

I admit that I am about as clueless as anyone could be

We didn't need this thread to tell us that. ;)

Everything is fine and dandy!

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#24 : June 10, 2008, 05:39:42 PM

As long as you see people traveling for pleasure, buying season tickets to professional sports (ie Bucs) at $80-200/seat, buying a new car every few years, etc etc, I'm not going to believe that we're in the economic doldrums that doom-gloomers (Joe) say we are.

LOL....I you really that stupid?

I you really that stupid???????

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#25 : June 10, 2008, 05:41:49 PM

Consumers are still buying at Circuit City, Best Buy, Walmart in full force. There's no signs that Americans are hurting.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#26 : June 10, 2008, 05:44:55 PM

Consumers are still buying at Circuit City, Best Buy, Walmart in full force. There's no signs that Americans are hurting.

LOL.  That's hilarious.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#27 : June 10, 2008, 05:45:34 PM

LOL......I think you are leaving in the same out of touch dreamworld Java exists in.  Maybe the fact you are in the military in Europe kind of detaches you from the reality of what is going on in America right now.

Walmart is doing OK because a lot of people are shopping for value these days.   Most retailers are reporting reduced spending and everyone you speak to is hurting right now.  

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 10, 2008, 05:48:03 PM

Because it is cheaper to fly than to drive anymore. My round-trip ticket from Tampa to Baltimore was $200. Driving would've cost much more.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#29 : June 10, 2008, 05:48:47 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080610/bs_nm/usa_economy_consumers_ibd_dc;_ylt=AsJ_OPPUCNl79XJ5KniSKufv5rEF
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Terrible Economic Times « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools